Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Until the popularity of the college hockey overall improves, why stay with this model that obviously doesn't work? What part of this system seems like it is effective? The ticket prices are prohibitive to draw in non-traditional fans, the locations in the West that aren't St. Paul and Grand Forks have been total disasters, the Eastern regionals rarely top 6,000 in attendance, and now this year they seem to want to destroy the bracket integrity and put the 5 seed in the region with the 1 seed.
    Tippsy,

I don't really think in the end that Wisconsin as a #5 overall will go to St Paul. No need for that. Lots of possibilities to fill the Xcel.

But as for your other point, I agree. The current thing with the 4 regions doesn't really work. St Paul works. Grand Forks would work, of NCAA was still ok with that. Denver hasn't worked. The Midwestern sites have been poor because there isn't enough close by interest in college hockey. Out east, Albany has had trouble. The rest I don't know about....

But I don't know what would be the best. There has been lots of discussion about it, and no real great answers that I can see.

I don't know anything about it, really, though. I have nothing to go on but numbers, because I don't really have an emotional connection to anyplace except Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      You don't know that and it's still presumptuous to predict what the NCAA will do all in the name of attendance.
      I don't know that as fact, I won't argue with that. But I think it is logical. The NCAA had to break its own rule because it had no other host options. Cinci is hosting 2 of the next 3, and tickets for this year's regional there are the cheapest I can remember in recent history ($40 gets you admission to all 3 games...compared to $90 in St. Paul). To me, that says that the Cinci site put up a relatively small amount of money to host. I think the NCAA cares about that, and I think they recognize it's tied to the lack of attendance in recent regionals. I also think history shows us that the committee considers attendance to some degree when placing teams.

Of course, this is only my opinion and people will draw their own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        I don't know that as fact, I won't argue with that. But I think it is logical. The NCAA had to break its own rule because it had no other host options. Cinci is hosting 2 of the next 3, and tickets for this year's regional there are the cheapest I can remember recent history ($40 gets you admission to all 3 games...compared to $90 in St. Paul). To me, that says that the Cinci site put up a relatively small amount of money to host. I think the NCAA cares about that, and I think they recognize it's tied to the lack of attendance in recent regionals. I also think history shows us that the committee considers attendance to some degree when placing teams.

Of course, this is only my opinion and people will draw their own conclusions.
        Or Cincinnati bid the same but think they can sell enough tickets at $40 to make it worthwhile. Many of us have contended the prices are one of the barriers to attendance numbers that even border on acceptable for some of these regionals. Maybe they figure they can draw more fans and clean up on concessions and parking. Maybe this model will set an example for sites like Grand Rapids that if they make ticket prices more reasonable they can still make a profit by selling more of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
          The whole host school thing is a big fat joke. The same schools getting to play close to home every year. While I
          have no trouble letting the #1 seeds stay close to home its just pathetic that some teams can get a homefield advantage
          just because the school is close to a city with a big rink. While most of the D1 schools can never get that chance. Sad that
          a #4 seed can be a host and play at home against a #1 seed.
          With few exceptions (like UVM), nearly every school in the east could choose to be a host and create their own favorable condition. If you're feeling bad for, say, BC, I ask why? Do you think by now Jerry hasn't figured out how this works? If they were that concerned with staying east they would work a deal with DCU (as BU has in the past) and host the regional. They haven't chosen to, so Jerry doesn't care that much or he can't get the support of his AD to do it. That's not the fault of anyone else.

A lot of the conversation on this thread is actually trending towards making it worse from an advantage perspective, leaning towards campus sites.
          Last edited by Aerman; 03-07-2014, 06:24 AM.
          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
            With few exceptions (like UVM), nearly every school in the east could choose to be a host and create their own favorable condition. If you're feeling bad for, say, BC, I ask why? Do you think by now Jerry hasn't figured out how this works? If they were that concerned with staying east they would work a deal with DCU (as BU has in the past) and host the regional. They haven't chosen to, so Jerry doesn't care that much or he can't get the support of his AD to do it. That's not the fault of anyone else.

A lot of the conversation on this thread is actually trending towards making it worse from an advantage perspective, leaning towards campus sites.
            Worcester has been mandated to use Holy Cross as host institution for years now.
            Originally posted by reBlur
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

The more I read and think about this the more I want the regionals on campus. The issues I keep seeing are the following:

1. Price of regionals
              I used to go to the Worcester regional every time it was there. It is about 20 minutes from my house and it was a great weekend. However, I got married, bought a house and the regional money is now spent on heating the house.

2. Attendance
              With the price of the tickets being what the are families are gone. When I went to a regional in Manchester I spent $150 on tickets for two, family of four for $300 is absurd. Plus throw in parking, a few libations and easily $500+.

3. Host School
              Watching four seeds get home ice is awful. BC in St. Louis with UNH playing in Manchester was dumb. Miami had 1/100 the fans being the one seed as UNH did as the four.

To solve these 3 main issues I say all four one seeds get home ice. Before the season every school needs to submit to the NCAA what rink they will use. So if BC wants to you the Garden or Minny wants to use the Xcel and can get it more power to them. At this point the N$$A is not making more money in Cincinnati opposed to Ann Arbor (probably less) so that's go on campus.
              Rinks Visited
              DCU Center
              Tulley Forum
              TD Garden
              Tsongas Arena
              J. Thom Lawler Arena
              Conte Forum
              Whittemore Center
              Agganis Arena
              Verizon Center
              Gutterson Fieldhouse
              Matthews Arena
              Thompson Arena
              Mullins Center
              Alfond Arena
              Schneider Arena
              Magness Arena
              Ingallas Arena
              Hart Center
              Prudential Center
              TD Bank Sports Center
              John A Ryan
              Lynah Rink
              Appleton Arena
              Cheel Arena
              Germain Arena
              XL Center
              Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Agreed, status quo is broken.

Either go back to 2 super regionals or get them back on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                  Agreed, status quo is broken.

Either go back to 2 super regionals or get them back on campus.
                  I have always liked the 2 super regional idea. Logistically has some issues but I think the attendance would be decent anywhere on the 2nd day, knowing that you get to watch 2 games that decide half of the Frozen 4.

Comment

Originally posted by MCgrad07 View Post
                    The more I read and think about this the more I want the regionals on campus. The issues I keep seeing are the following:

1. Price of regionals
                    I used to go to the Worcester regional every time it was there. It is about 20 minutes from my house and it was a great weekend. However, I got married, bought a house and the regional money is now spent on heating the house.

2. Attendance
                    With the price of the tickets being what the are families are gone. When I went to a regional in Manchester I spent $150 on tickets for two, family of four for $300 is absurd. Plus throw in parking, a few libations and easily $500+.

3. Host School
                    Watching four seeds get home ice is awful. BC in St. Louis with UNH playing in Manchester was dumb. Miami had 1/100 the fans being the one seed as UNH did as the four.

To solve these 3 main issues I say all four one seeds get home ice. Before the season every school needs to submit to the NCAA what rink they will use. So if BC wants to you the Garden or Minny wants to use the Xcel and can get it more power to them. At this point the N$$A is not making more money in Cincinnati opposed to Ann Arbor (probably less) so that's go on campus.
                    In every discussion about this issue, I always go back to this option. Let the #1 seeds host the regionals! Your idea of submitting the rink that they would use is a good one. I understand there is logistics involved with locking the rink down for the outside chance that the team is a #1 seed but, for example, if the X is unwilling to hold it than have it at Mariucci. And no, the advantage isn't too big for the #1 seed. We all know the parity that exists in college hockey and these teams earned and deserve to host at their home rink.

Let's not overthink this.

Comment

Originally posted by MplsSioux View Post
                      In every discussion about this issue, I always go back to this option. Let the #1 seeds host the regionals! Your idea of submitting the rink that they would use is a good one. I understand there is logistics involved with locking the rink down for the outside chance that the team is a #1 seed but, for example, if the X is unwilling to hold it than have it at Mariucci. And no, the advantage isn't too big for the #1 seed. We all know the parity that exists in college hockey and these teams earned and deserve to host at their home rink.

Let's not overthink this.
                      I would think logistics and planning are the greatest barrier to having the regional sites determined by the one seed location. The seeds may change on the last week, not nearly enough time for the host to plan such an event. Can you imagine BC saying "Hey we need to reserve the Garden in April, beause we might be there depending on how well we do this year". I don't think the facilities could just put aside a day, just in case. Ticket sales would also have to be limited to the final week as well.

I also do not like the idea of super regionals as it cuts the field to eight teams if I am correct.
                      Last edited by LTsatch; 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post

I also do not like the idea of super regionals as it cuts the field to eight teams if I am correct.
                        It would still be 16 teams. 2 sites with 8 teams instead of 4 with 4.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                          It would still be 16 teams. 2 sites with 8 teams instead of 4 with 4.
                          Got it, thanks John. That's alot of teams in one town. Would they play two weekends? Sounds like a scheduling nightmare as well, possibly more midweek games, working out a fair rest period between games could be an issue as well.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Got it, thanks John. That's alot of teams in one town. Would they play two weekends? Sounds like a scheduling nightmare as well, possibly more midweek games, working out a fair rest period between games could be an issue as well.
                            The plans I've heard for this generally involve a three-day event. Say it's the West and Midwest regions playing at the Xcel Center. Midwest plays two regional semis on Friday, West plays two semis Saturday, and both have the regional final on Sunday.

EDIT: Having said that, I know the X can handle an 8 team event in two days, just look at the MN High School tournament this weekend. 4 games each Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
                            Last edited by Steve_MN; 03-07-2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

2 games Friday night. 2 Saturday. Winners of Friday Night play game 1 on Sunday and winners of Saturday play game 2 on Sunday.

Comment

After ticketmaster fees, it comes out to the following prices for each regional:

$102.40 for St. Paul
                                $96.50 for Worcester
                                $80.40 for Bridgeport
                                $47.52 for Cincy
                                LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Working...
                                X