X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Or like when CC smoked BC?
    If we've learned one thing, it's that BC clearly has struggled in the NCAAs against western teams of late.

As for attendance, they're pretty much disasters everywhere. From dumpster fires (Cincy, St. Louis, etc.) to not good (Worcester). The whole model needs to be blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
      If we've learned one thing, it's that BC clearly has struggled in the NCAAs against western teams of late.
      That 15-3 record in the NCAAs against CCHA/WCHA/Air Force since 2006 really could be better!! How did we ever lose 3 games to those clowns?
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        How is CC equal to Yale?
        The year after winning their only national championship, they were a bust and didn't even make the tournament?
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          That 15-3 record in the NCAAs against CCHA/WCHA/Air Force since 2006 really could be better!! How did we ever lose 3 games to those clowns?
          If you ever had any good enough players to go pro early, I could understand those three loses. but, since you don't you guys just suck.
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            Had to play somewhere other than Worcester in the regional?

It's kind of funny, if you look at it. The road to the championship, since going to 16 teams, certainly favors a home regional.

2003 -- MN (Minneapolis regional)
            2004 -- DU (Colorado Springs)
            2005 -- DU (Amherst, MA)
            2006 -- Wis (Green Bay)
            2007 -- MSU (Grand Rapids)
            2008 -- BC (Worcester)
            2009 -- BU (Manchester)
            2010 -- BC (Worcester)
            2011 -- UMD (Bridgeport)
            2012 -- BC (Worcester)
            2013 -- Yale (Grand Rapids)

Kind of makes BU's win in 2009 more impressive, coming out of a regional where the host was also in the tournament.
            Last edited by SJHovey; 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post

As for attendance, they're pretty much disasters everywhere. From dumpster fires (Cincy, St. Louis, etc.) to not good (Worcester). The whole model needs to be blown up.
              We can only point out Western teams flaming out in the tourney, because when it happens to BC it doesn't matter. Got it.

Same year, on their home ice, Yale as the overall #1 seed squeaked out an OT win against the Atlantic Hockey champion and then got drubbed by UMD.

As much as I enjoyed the Gophers losses to Holy Cross and Yale, let's not act like they are the only instances of a 1 seed losing to a clearly inferior team.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                I have to disagree. Going forward, you have a brand new host in Fargo and a host in South Bend because no other sites bid in the west. That's directly tied...
                You don't know that and it's still presumptuous to predict what the NCAA will do all in the name of attendance.
                Last edited by Slap Shot; 03-06-2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  on their home ice, Yale as the overall #1 seed squeaked out an OT win against the Atlantic Hockey champion and then got drubbed by UMD.
                  Just to be clear, Webster Bank Center is not Yale's home ice. They've played 4 games there and won only one. They even lost to Sacred Heart (who's actually closer to Bridgeport) in a regular season game in 2011.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    You don't know that and it's still presumptuous to predict what the NCAA will do all in the name of attendance.
                    NCAA themselves said they went with Notre Dame because there were no other bids. That means Toledo didn't bid, Cincinnati didn't bid, Grand Rapids didn't bid, Green Bay didn't bid,...

Since those have all hosted before, why not bid? One big possibility is that they can't make money...

Fargo is interesting to me. Obviously, Grand Forks is out because of the Sioux logos still at Englestad Arena. No Colorado bid? No Duluth?

But I agree about guessing at what NCAA will do about attendance in the west. We don't really know if they think it is a problem or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                      NCAA themselves said they went with Notre Dame because there were no other bids. That means Toledo didn't bid, Cincinnati didn't bid, Grand Rapids didn't bid, Green Bay didn't bid,...

Since those have all hosted before, why not bid? One big possibility is that they can't make money...

Fargo is interesting to me. Obviously, Grand Forks is out because of the Sioux logos still at Englestad Arena. No Colorado bid? No Duluth?

But I agree about guessing at what NCAA will do about attendance in the west. We don't really know if they think it is a problem or not.
                      Grand Forks is out because of Campus sites? I thought we satisfied the logo stuff.
                      "My greatest achievement."
                      Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

• Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                        Grand Forks is out because of Campus sites? I thought we satisfied the logo stuff.
                        Sorry darker. I don't know for sure, but I was thinking that.NCAA is okay with that being home to UND games, but I don't know how you cover all that up for a regional. But, really, educate me. I have never been in the facility.

UND is host at Fargo, right? And, South Bend is on campus, so the campus sites thing may be changing again. There has been discussion in other threads about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                          Is every site going to bid every year? Are there future unfulfilled bids that should be complete by now?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Is every site going to bid every year? Are there future unfulfilled bids that should be complete by now?
                            I actually do not know if there have been other years where only one site bid. But, we do know that every site which has hosted a midwest region in the past that is east of the Minnesota/North Dakota chose not to bid. Of course we do not know all the reasons for that. But, it is true. If not for Notre Dame putting in a bid to host on campus, the committee had no place to place the regional.

As for the future, Cincinnati bid for 2016 and got the hosting responsibilities. That comes after also hosting this year, which is their first time.
                            Last edited by Numbers; 03-06-2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

The whole host school thing is a big fat joke. The same schools getting to play close to home every year. While I
                              have no trouble letting the #1 seeds stay close to home its just pathetic that some teams can get a homefield advantage
                              just because the school is close to a city with a big rink. While most of the D1 schools can never get that chance. Sad that
                              a #4 seed can be a host and play at home against a #1 seed.
                              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

Until the popularity of the college hockey overall improves, why stay with this model that obviously doesn't work? What part of this system seems like it is effective? The ticket prices are prohibitive to draw in non-traditional fans, the locations in the West that aren't St. Paul and Grand Forks have been total disasters, the Eastern regionals rarely top 6,000 in attendance, and now this year they seem to want to destroy the bracket integrity and put the 5 seed in the region with the 1 seed.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X