The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    I'd also think they'd swap Cornell and North Dakota. Having Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota in the St. Paul Regional would be the committee's wet dream. And I assume Cornell would bring more fans to the Worcester Regional than North Dakota would.
    I agree, Dirty. Unless they decided that they still needed help in Cincinnati, so UND goes there, and St. Cloud gets moved, too.

Comment

• Re: The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
      My crack at bracketology here at our site.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...n-ferris-state
      Interesting. Why not switch Cornell and North Dakota to help boost attendance?

Switching Colgate and Mercyhurst would boost attendance as well, but I guess that would mess with bracket integrity too much.
      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
        Interesting. Why not switch Cornell and North Dakota to help boost attendance?

Switching Colgate and Mercyhurst would boost attendance as well, but I guess that would mess with bracket integrity too much.
        I think bracket integrity is important and I'm also old school. I like to see some cross-over from east to west and vice versa. It's no fun to see a complete replay of the conference championships.
        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
          I think bracket integrity is important and I'm also old school. I like to see some cross-over from east to west and vice versa. It's no fun to see a complete replay of the conference championships.
          You got that right. Too bad $$ drives things as much as it does. BTW, UND will be a #2 seed when it's said and done.
          No more slow starts to the season; we got over that hurdle. Now, Get it on!!! GO UND!!!

New nick is coming up. I recommend Spirithawks.

Character is what a person is; reputation is what he is supposed to be. (Abbott)

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
            I'd also think they'd swap Cornell and North Dakota. Having Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota in the St. Paul Regional would be the committee's wet dream. And I assume Cornell would bring more fans to the Worcester Regional than North Dakota would.
            I think the term they would use is "Delicious". they are always very happy to have a region of death out West.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
              I think the term they would use is "Delicious". they are always very happy to have a region of death out West.
              Until the Blue and White legion of doom rolls through town. If they somehow make it this year, you guys are safe as Yale gets BPT.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                Until the Blue and White legion of doom rolls through town. If they somehow make it this year, you guys are safe as Yale gets BPT.
                Trust me, if Yale somehow makes it we Gopher fans will be crossing our fingers that such a softie will get shipped to St. Paul.

On a serious note, to go back to an earlier suggestion (getting some crossover between east and west), considering the new conference make-ups and the current PWR situation it is possible we could see both Cinci and St. Paul made up of entirely "western" teams (if you consider Notre Dame to be western, which I think makes sense for the purposes of this discussion). If the committee had the opportunity to do so, they would jump at it.

Comment

you got lucky in ot. In a few months, your one year of glory is gone, probably never to be repeated.
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                  Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                    you got lucky in ot. In a few months, your one year of glory is gone, probably never to be repeated.
                    No, I don't think beating three number ones seeds and a number two seed in the tourney will ever be repeated either. I prefer to think of it as taking advantage of a Minnesota defenseman's mistake. Call it luck if that is what makes you feel better. Good luck the rest of the way, you have a nice team (again).
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

No, I don't think beating three number ones seeds and a number two seed in the tourney will ever be repeated either. I prefer to think of it as taking advantage of a Minnesota defenseman's mistake. Call it luck if that is what makes you feel better. Good luck the rest of the way, you have a nice team (again).
                      Yeah, a Minnesota fan saying Yale got lucky is sour grapes. Yale deserved exactly what they got last year, a national championship. I just wish North Dakota could have played better in that 3rd period vs. the Bulldogs and had that same chance, there's always this year though.

Comment

• Originally posted by MplsSioux View Post
                        Yeah, a Minnesota fan saying Yale got lucky is sour grapes. Yale deserved exactly what they got last year, a national championship. I just wish North Dakota could have played better in that 3rd period vs. the Bulldogs and had that same chance, there's always this year though.
                        They didn't get lucky, they got hot at the right time. Same thing can be said of a few of the Gopher National Championship teams in the mid 1970's.

I think what Happy was referring to though was Marshall's turnover in OT. It was an unfortunate play for Gopher fans, but you have to credit Yale for capitalizing.
                        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-24-2014, 08:40 AM.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                          Nice. I do think, however, that given the choice, the committee would put either Michigan or Notre Dame in Cincinnati. Other wise, too much potential for an almost empty arena. Do you think otherwise, and if so, why?
                          Then I guess it's Michigan. As I look at Notre Dame's place, schedule and playoff path, I don't think they make the tournament.

I do recognize that you can only work with what the math puts in front of you today, I just think the committee has a big problem (as usual?) on their hands in Cincy.
                          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by goblue78 View Post
                            You already get a bigger RPI benefit from beating a top RPI team...
                            Mathematically, I think this statement is inaccurate. You get the same RPI benefit from any win. You get a bigger benefit for PLAYING a top team, regardless of the outcome. Yes?
                            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              I agree Dirty. I didn't even consider that. I was thinking the obvious switch would be switching Notre Dame and Colgate. The West Regional, with Minn and Wisconsin, has no attendance problems no matter who is there. Though having NoDak there too would be a wet dream. But good job CollegeHockeyRinkReport. I love this time of year.
                              Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                                Mathematically, I think this statement is inaccurate. You get the same RPI benefit from any win. You get a bigger benefit for PLAYING a top team, regardless of the outcome. Yes?
                                You are correct. Your winning percentage and opponents records (SOS) are what count, the exact breakdown of your own wins/losses is irrelevant in RPI.

Comment

Working...
                                X