The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

If I am readings things correctly, the RPI for CollegeHockeyNews ( http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/ncaapwcr.php ) is slightly different than for USCHO/SiouxSports.com ( http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/pwr/ ) Its not by much. Both claim that they are calcualting the way the NCAA committee wants things calculated. Any thoughts on this?
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      If I am readings things correctly, the RPI for CollegeHockeyNews ( http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/ncaapwcr.php ) is slightly different than for USCHO/SiouxSports.com ( http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/pwr/ ) Its not by much. Both claim that they are calcualting the way the NCAA committee wants things calculated. Any thoughts on this?
      yeah... hard to tell and we won't know for sure until we get to the end of the year and there's enough of a difference to matter.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        I meant to post about this in this thread; I blogged a little about it earlier last week. In short, the NCAA memo was ambiguous about how to apply the RPI weightings and there are two pretty legitimate ways to do it. USCHO has chosen one and CHN has chosen the other. I've been running both and they're close enough that long range forecasts are pretty comparable, but differences of a couple ranking positions are common enough that YATC or tournament possibilities forecasts will differ depending which you use. Hopefully we won't be waiting until selection day to find out which is right.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
          I meant to post about this in this thread; I blogged a little about it earlier last week. In short, the NCAA memo was ambiguous about how to apply the RPI weightings and there are two pretty legitimate ways to do it. USCHO has chosen one and CHN has chosen the other. I've been running both and they're close enough that long range forecasts are pretty comparable, but differences of a couple ranking positions are common enough that YATC or tournament possibilities forecasts will differ depending which you use. Hopefully we won't be waiting until selection day to find out which is right.
          Thanks !!!
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

We chose the approach of applying it only to the winning percentage and not OWP and OOWP for a few reasons, one of which is that the NCAA does that in its basketball RPI, although they use .6 and 1.4 instead of .8 and 1.2 for the multipliers for squeakball.
            Last edited by Ed Trefzger; 02-09-2014, 05:48 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
              We chose the approach of applying it only to the winning percentage and not OWP and OOWP for a few reasons, one of which is that the NCAA does that in its basketball RPI, although they use .6 and 1.4 instead of .8 and 1.2 for the multipliers for squeakball.
              to me that's the most logically consistent way. Even if there's a more accurate reading I don't necessarily trust the NCAA to closely read what they wrote

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                to me that's the most logically consistent way. Even if there's a more accurate reading I don't necessarily trust the NCAA to closely read what they wrote
                Here's a problem: It is written on such a way that it can not only be interpreted by US in different ways, but it can be interpreted by this year's committee one way and next year's committee another way. In that case, we can't even be sure we'll know the correct answer after Selection Sunday this year. Isn't that fun?

Comment

I wrote to The Minnesota AD, who is on the committee earlier about the QWB divisor, and he answered me, so I wrote him again last week to ask him about this.

The essence of my question was:
                  Is the calculation: 25%*SUM(winning %age for own games with home/road weighting) + 21%*SUM(opp win% with no weighting)/#ofgames + 54%*SUM(oppoppwin% with no weighting)/#ofgames

Or, is it: SUMoverallgames of {home/road weighting}*(25%*win/loss/tie + 21%*oppfor that game win%age + 54%*Oppforthatgame'soppwin%). and then divide that SUM by the #of games played, counted according to the weighting.

Hopefully he will respond to my question, but it will take awhile, because he will want to talk to the people who actually do the calculation for them.

Both seem possible to me.

And, also, I do not know what it means on CHN where it says something about the RPI listing not reflecting the home/road weighting...

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                    I wrote to The Minnesota AD, who is on the committee earlier about the QWB divisor, and he answered me, so I wrote him again last week to ask him about this.

The essence of my question was:
                    Is the calculation: 25%*SUM(winning %age for own games with home/road weighting) + 21%*SUM(opp win% with no weighting)/#ofgames + 54%*SUM(oppoppwin% with no weighting)/#ofgames

Or, is it: SUMoverallgames of {home/road weighting}*(25%*win/loss/tie + 21%*oppfor that game win%age + 54%*Oppforthatgame'soppwin%). and then divide that SUM by the #of games played, counted according to the weighting.

Hopefully he will respond to my question, but it will take awhile, because he will want to talk to the people who actually do the calculation for them.

Both seem possible to me.

And, also, I do not know what it means on CHN where it says something about the RPI listing not reflecting the home/road weighting...
                    That has been corrected. I read somewhere that Adam Wodon said it was an oversight - that when CHN added in the bonus calculations that they forgot to remove that disclaimer.

I found the quote from Wodon's site: http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ly_edition.php
                    You have to read the comments section at the end of the article.
                    Last edited by DeepRed72; 02-12-2014, 08:25 PM. Reason: Added source
                    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Thanks to the Build Your Own Rankings Calculator we now have 11 years of Pairwise data to study. In that time there have been 20 teams that qualified thanks to the autobid and 156 who qualified by being ranked high enough (autobid or not) to make the NCAA tournament.

Of the 156 teams, 127 (81.4%) that qualified as of the post-Beanpot Pairwise would have made the eventual field. No teams that were ranked in the top 6 after the Beanpot dropped out of the eventual field. Three teams that were ranked #7 and two more that were #8 fell out of the rankings. "Only" 34 of the 44 (77.3%) teams ranked 9-12 qualified.

The 2010 Northern Michigan squad was ranked #23 and still earned at an-large bid. The 2007 UMass Minutemen were #21. The 2013 Wisconsin Badgers joined the group as a #22 seed. Every other team has been in the top 20 post-Beanpot.

Some teams that are on the doorstep have a track record of success in the last month of the season. #18 North Dakota has come from outside the field three times to qualify. #16 Maine and #24 New Hampshire have done it twice. Those three, along with #9 Cornell, are the only teams to do it more than once.

On the other side, Denver has fallen out three times. Ohio State, Northern Michigan and Colorado College have done it twice. Of those currently in the field, #14 Minnesota-Duluth has done it on two occasions.

Historically, the field should look like this.
                      Teams in bold are locks (historically)
                      Teams from 7 and 24 are still in the running.
                      Teams below 25 need to autobid.

Boston College
                      Minnesota
                      Union
                      Ferris State
                      Quinnipiac
                      Mass.-Lowell

----
                      Wisconsin
                      St. Cloud State
                      Cornell
                      Michigan
                      Providence
                      Northeastern
                      Vermont
                      Minnesota-Duluth
                      Colgate
                      -
                      Maine
                      Yale
                      North Dakota
                      Clarkson
                      Notre Dame
                      Minnesota State
                      Western Michigan
                      Denver
                      New Hampshire
                      ----
                      Ohio State
                      Alaska-Anchorage
                      St. Lawrence
                      Brown
                      Rensselaer
                      Bowling Green
                      Nebraska-Omaha
                      Air Force
                      Lake Superior
                      Michigan Tech
                      Miami
                      Alaska-Fairbanks
                      Bentley
                      Northern Michigan
                      Mercyhurst
                      Connecticut
                      Massachusetts
                      Michigan State
                      Harvard
                      Bemidji State
                      Merrimack
                      Boston University
                      Robert Morris
                      Canisius
                      Colorado College
                      Niagara
                      Dartmouth
                      Penn State
                      Holy Cross
                      RIT
                      American Int'l
                      Princeton
                      Sacred Heart
                      Alabama-Huntsville
                      Army

The results of the Crockpot did not alter this week's bracketology.

Comment

^Great post.

Thanks!
                        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Here's a problem: It is written on such a way that it can not only be interpreted by US in different ways, but it can be interpreted by this year's committee one way and next year's committee another way. In that case, we can't even be sure we'll know the correct answer after Selection Sunday this year. Isn't that fun?
                          you missed my point Priceless. What is most likely is they'll follow established formulation. Just because it could be taken in altenative ways does not mean it will unless there is a specific rub in this that is different for hockey than basketball. If the language is identical then they'll apply the identical method, correct or not.

I think the NCAA would find it far easier to change two numbers than an entire algorithm.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Jayson Moy's weekly Bracketology Blog: http://www.uscho.com/bracketology/20...d-story-lines/

I'm ready for the NCAA Tourney to begin and would be very happy if the brackets end up looking like that.
                            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                              Jayson Moy's weekly Bracketology Blog: http://www.uscho.com/bracketology/20...d-story-lines/

I'm ready for the NCAA Tourney to begin and would be very happy if the brackets end up looking like that.
                              With that current bracket 3 out of the 4 four seeds could definitely upset the number one seeds with UMD going 1-1-1 this year against Minnesota. Colgate going 2-1 against Ferris St. and a solid Providence team that just fell to a 4th seed with last nights loss (no disrespect to Union). This would make for one difficult bracket to predict as always but would also be fine with this bracket as a 'gate fan. Lots of hockey left however.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                Historically, the field should look like this.
                                Teams in bold are locks (historically)
                                Teams from 7 and 24 are still in the running.
                                Teams below 25 need to autobid.

Boston College
                                Minnesota
                                Union
                                Ferris State
                                Quinnipiac
                                Mass.-Lowell

----
                                Wisconsin
                                St. Cloud State
                                Cornell
                                Michigan
                                Providence
                                Northeastern
                                Vermont
                                Minnesota-Duluth
                                Colgate
                                -
                                Maine
                                Yale
                                North Dakota
                                Clarkson
                                Notre Dame
                                Minnesota State
                                Western Michigan
                                Denver
                                New Hampshire
                                ----
                                Ohio State
                                Alaska-Anchorage
                                St. Lawrence
                                Brown
                                Rensselaer
                                Bowling Green
                                Nebraska-Omaha
                                Air Force
                                Lake Superior
                                Michigan Tech
                                Miami
                                Alaska-Fairbanks
                                Bentley
                                Northern Michigan
                                Mercyhurst
                                Connecticut
                                Massachusetts
                                Michigan State
                                Harvard
                                Bemidji State
                                Merrimack
                                Boston University
                                Robert Morris
                                Canisius
                                Colorado College
                                Niagara
                                Dartmouth
                                Penn State
                                Holy Cross
                                RIT
                                American Int'l
                                Princeton
                                Sacred Heart
                                Alabama-Huntsville
                                Army

I would argue that Ohio State, if they win their final 8 regular season games, would probably be a #2 seed and would not fall out as an At Large. A few of the teams directly below them, should they run the table and go deep into their tournament, could also qualify as an At Large. Just because it may not have happened in the past 11 years doesn't mean it can't. Remember that PWR metrics have changed (no TUC and addition of bonus) so you can't necessarily compare this season's volatility to what was experienced in the past. So your statement that teams below #25 need to autobid, while probabilistically true, is not 100% accurate.
                                "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Working...
                                X