Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Reenacting the liberation of the Pacific in WWII?
    No, actually it's a whole Far East tour of some Christian Conferences as part of my church fellowship. But, we did see all the WW2 sites on Oahu, and looked at the Battlefield of the Pacific facility today, as well as a picnic on the beach where the US made landfall when liberating Guam.

No ice here.....

And, it makes a few hockey games seem not very important.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      Now, all you have to do is calculate the full PWR.....
      Heh -- yeah that's going to be the next project. Fortunately I have the whole offseason to do it.

Thanks again!
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Heh -- yeah that's going to be the next project. Fortunately I have the whole offseason to do it.

Thanks again!
        c'mon, are you really using spreadsheets?
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
          c'mon, are you really using spreadsheets?
          Yes, why?
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

the CHN projection tool is working completely , you can run all the scenarios .

Comment

Early Saturday morning. I can't run all the scenarios, but I suspect at this point that Notre Dame is in, but everyone else below them in the PWR could still end up 12th and lose to a tourney upset.

Right now, best guess:
              #1s - Minny, BC, Union, Ferris
              #2s - Wisco, St Cloud, Quinn, Lowell
              #3s - NoDame, Prov, NoDak, Cornell
              #4s - Mankato, Vermont, Colgate, AHA Champ

StPaul: Minnesota v AHA Champ (1v16); St Cloud v NoDak (6v11)
              Worcester: BC v Colgate (2v15); Quinnipiac v Providence (7v10)
              Bridgeport: Union v Vermont (3v14); Lowell v Cornell (8v12)
              Cincinnati: Ferris v Mankato (4v13); Wisconsin v Notre Dame (5v9)

My reasoning would be that the #2 band is basically indistinguishable from each other. For the #3s, put NoDame in Cincy, NoDak. Wisco in Cincy, StCloud in StPaul all for attendance. Then, the rest falls out.

If the Committee goes all serpentine, then the only change needed is swap NoDame and NoDak or Lowell and StCloud.

Comment

Early Saturday morning. I can't run all the scenarios, but I suspect at this point that Notre Dame is in, but everyone else below them in the PWR could still end up 12th and lose to a tourney upset.

Right now, best guess:
                #1s - Minny, BC, Union, Ferris
                #2s - Wisco, St Cloud, Quinn, Lowell
                #3s - NoDame, Prov, NoDak, Cornell
                #4s - Mankato, Vermont, Colgate, AHA Champ

StPaul: Minnesota v AHA Champ (1v16); St Cloud v NoDak (6v11)
                Worcester: BC v Colgate (2v15); Quinnipiac v Providence (7v10)
                Bridgeport: Union v Vermont (3v14); Lowell v Cornell (8v12)
                Cincinnati: Ferris v Mankato (4v13); Wisconsin v Notre Dame (5v9)

My reasoning would be that the #2 band is basically indistinguishable from each other. For the #3s, put NoDame in Cincy, NoDak. Wisco in Cincy, StCloud in StPaul all for attendance. Then, the rest falls out.

If the Committee goes all serpentine, then the only change needed is swap NoDame and NoDak or Lowell and StCloud.
                You would need to swap Mankato with someone else..
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Hi all. My tablet decided to brick last night so this is my first, and possible only, chance to get online. At this point, Providence and North Dakota should be in with wins tonight, but with the autobids still lurking out there they have to keep winning to make sure they make it.

In:
                  Minnesota
                  Boston College
                  Union
                  Ferris State
                  Wisconsin
                  Quinnipiac
                  St Cloud
                  Lowell
                  Notre Dame

Bubble (* = in w/ win tonight without autobid upsets)
                  Providence*
                  North Dakota*
                  Cornell
                  MSU Mankato
                  Vermont
                  Colgate
                  Michigan
                  Northeastern

It might be possible for Yale, WMU or UMD to go on a winning streak and get in without the autobid but I don't see it happening. New Hampshire simply doesn't have enough games left.

Everyone else is playing for the autobid.

If the home teams win tonight in the ECAC, the chance of that conference stealing a bid is gone. That leaves the AHA (16), BTHC, LTHC, WCHA and Hockey East. HEA will likely also have 3 of 4, so the odds of that conference taking a spot from the top 15 is also diminished. The odds are best among the WCHA and LTHC which only have two teams each in tournament position right now.

Comment

Sunday night while Clarkson and Cornell are at first intermission:

I might try to live blog the bubble situation as results come in.

My impression at this point is that Big10, AHA, NCHC, HEA(vermont), ECAC (Clarkson) and WCHA can all have upset winners.

So, the best we can do is say this:
                    The top 10 in the current PWR are likely safe. The only way something strange might happen is if Michigan wins 2 rounds and loses the B10 final to OSU/MSU. In that case, StCloud might be out if all the tourneys come in with upsets.

We can say for sure that it will be - Minnesota(1), BC(2), Union(3).
                    Last #1 seed is up for grabs between UW, Quinn, NoDame, Lowell, maybe Providence.

And, we know at this point that NoDakota, Mankato, and Cornell all need one more win to assure themselves of a place (excepting the parlay wins the tourneys). Which means that Northeastern is still alive as I type this. And, in fact, even in the event that Cornell and NoDakota both win today, Northeastern still appears to have a slight chance. They will be big Bowling Green fans next week.

Comment

Cornell over Colgate.

Also, it has dawned on me that NoDak is the only higher seed in NCHC left playing. Therefore, even if UND loses to CC today (leading 4-2 right now), NCHC will still get 2 spots. So, UND losing doesn't help bubble teams as much as I thought.

I would say at this point that Northeastern is all but done. There would be a slight chance that Union and Quinn wins over Colgate and Cornell could help them back into the field, but I am not sure of that.

New Hampshire's RPI is still low enough that they have to win.

So, to me, the bubble appears (someone help us when the YATC and Pairwise Predictor come out tonight), that Minnesota through StCloud are in.

After that, Mankato and or Michigan losing in their next games could open a window for teams on the bubble (Cornell or Colgate if they lose next week... Northeastern perhaps if all of those 4 lose).

Vermont, while not playing, are vulnerable yet. eg, UND wins today, loses NCHC final. Then, UND probably ahead of Vermont, AND the NCHC steals a bid. Colgate or Cornell win the ECAC. Then Vermont is out).

Pairwise... Still crazy, even without the TUC.....

Comment

Cornell over Colgate.

Also, it has dawned on me that NoDak is the only higher seed in NCHC left playing. Therefore, even if UND loses to CC today (leading 4-2 right now), NCHC will still get 2 spots. So, UND losing doesn't help bubble teams as much as I thought.

I would say at this point that Northeastern is all but done. There would be a slight chance that Union and Quinn wins over Colgate and Cornell could help them back into the field, but I am not sure of that.

New Hampshire's RPI is still low enough that they have to win.

So, to me, the bubble appears (someone help us when the YATC and Pairwise Predictor come out tonight), that Minnesota through StCloud are in.

After that, Mankato and or Michigan losing in their next games could open a window for teams on the bubble (Cornell or Colgate if they lose next week... Northeastern perhaps if all of those 4 lose).

Vermont, while not playing, are vulnerable yet. eg, UND wins today, loses NCHC final. Then, UND probably ahead of Vermont, AND the NCHC steals a bid. Colgate or Cornell win the ECAC. Then Vermont is out).

Pairwise... Still crazy, even without the TUC.....
                        Ran the numbers with UNH winning friday, Union and Quin. winning. Northeastern somehow moves from 41 to 44 , how is that possible ending up in 14 th

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                          Ran the numbers with UNH winning friday, Union and Quin. winning. Northeastern somehow moves from 41 to 44 , how is that possible ending up in 14 th
                          RPI is really tight from Vermont to Northeastern, with UNH an outlier who wins a compare based only on CommOpp and h2h. try it with UNH losing Friday (Lowell and Prov win). With Quinn and Union winning, that lowers Colgate and Cornell just enough to slide Northeastern back in.

Comment

The PairWise predictor on USCHO will go live as soon as the Air Force-Niagara game goes final. Of course, that might be a while. 3-3 very late in the 3rd.

ETA: Overtime #1 begins after an intermission.
                            Last edited by Priceless; 03-16-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              The PairWise predictor on USCHO will go live as soon as the Air Force-Niagara game goes final. Of course, that might be a while. 3-3 very late in the 3rd.

ETA: Overtime #1 begins after an intermission.
                              It will probably be a 3OT game just to keep everyone on ice.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Some more thoughts about North Dakota. CHN doesn't have the NCHC Final Four in their database to change results, so no way to know for sure, but it appears that if Miami were to defeat them, they could easily end up out of the tourney. Such a defeat might (emphasis might) drop them all the way to 18th in RPI, and the cut line would go to 14 at that point, too. Again, a UND defeat does not help Colgate or Cornell or Northeastern, because the cut line moves also, with the NCHC guaranteed an upset winner at that point, so this relates to NoDak only..

Comment

Working...
                                X