Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    Doesn't matter. They're in Hockey East now and having trouble competing.
    But, if they ever adjust to eastern hockey, of course we'll count 'em.
    No. Notre Dame is West. You guys get Huntsville and Penn State though!
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      No. I am not. Geography is pretty cut and dried though. If you are going to say that Air Force is an Eastern team, then I guess all the West has is the two Alaska teams.
      And thus, the power resides in the East....
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Went to take a look at the rankings, and it looks like USCHO and CHN are doing something different in their calculations and both are different than the list here from Sunday (could easily be the last handful of games moves stuff around there, so I don't know).

Maybe this question belongs in the thread that's out there where a few people have been running the calculations themselves all year to get a feel for how things work, but does anyone have a good idea which one of them is right? My guess is that one of the two isn't including the QWB that was introduced this year.

As of 1/8:
        USCHO CHN
        1 Minnesota 1 Minnesota
        2 Boston College 2 St. Cloud State
        3 St. Cloud State 3 Ferris State
        4 Ferris State 4 Boston College
        5t Union 5 Union
        5t Quinnipiac 6t Providence
        7t Providence 6t Quinnipiac
        7t Mass.-Lowell 8 Mass.-Lowell
        9t Michigan 9t Michigan
        9t Northeastern 9t Cornell
        11 Clarkson 11 Northeastern
        12 Cornell 12 Vermont
        13t New Hampshire 13 Clarkson
        13t Vermont 14 Wisconsin
        15 Wisconsin 15t New Hampshire
        16 Minnesota State 15t Notre Dame

Comment

The Sioux Sports and Reilly Hamilton pairwise are the same. The USCHO pairwise also appears to use that formula. CHN is using the formula from last year I believe, and has not accounted for the changes.

Comment

Unless I am missing something,10 of the top 15 are from the east, with only Minnesota, Ferris, St Cloud, Michigan, Wisconsin from the Big 10, NCHC, or WCHA. That seems like lots of eastern power, especially compared to past years.

Comment

Thanks. I figured that either USCHO or CHN had just eliminated the TUC piece and didn't get the QWB added back in, but I wasn't sure how to figure out which had it messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                Unless I am missing something,10 of the top 15 are from the east, with only Minnesota, Ferris, St Cloud, Michigan, Wisconsin from the Big 10, NCHC, or WCHA. That seems like lots of eastern power, especially compared to past years.
                Minnesota State makes 6, but they'd be bumped by the AHA AQ

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  The Sioux Sports and Reilly Hamilton pairwise are the same. The USCHO pairwise also appears to use that formula. CHN is using the formula from last year I believe, and has not accounted for the changes.
                  I think CHN updated their Pairwise, and have partially implemented the RPI changes, or something along those lines.

My table currently has a disagreement with both Jim's and USCHO's calculations; I have Bowling Green at .5266, while both the other have them at .5251. This is because I'm removing one of Bowling Green's three wins over UAH (the home game), while the other sites are removing none of BGSU's wins. Since the home game is worth less, its removal causes Bowling Green's winning percentage to not fall as much as removing the away wins would, balancing things out and resulting in a net positive.

Any thoughts on this scenario from the rules interpreters? Can only one win (presumably a home win) against an opponent be removed, or do all wins have to be removed aggregately?

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankin....php?teamid=20
                  http://pwr.reillyhamilton.com/pwr.php#BowlingGreen
                  RPI Class of 2012
                  Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

1 of the top 4 teams are from the East. Are the 2 and 3 seeds in the tournament usually considered powerful?

The East has a lot of teams getting into the tournament if it started today. But it doesn't start today. I would be flabbergasted if Miami or Notre Dame misses the NCAAs. Not only that but I only consider 25 of the 59 Division I teams "Western" teams (NCHC, WCHA, B1G minus PSU, Air Force, Notre Dame). By those proportions, only 6 or 7 teams from the West should make the tourney.
                    Originally posted by SJHovey
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

1 of the top 4 teams are from the East. Are the 2 and 3 seeds in the tournament usually considered powerful?

The East has a lot of teams getting into the tournament if it started today. But it doesn't start today. I would be flabbergasted if Miami or Notre Dame misses the NCAAs. Not only that but I only consider 25 of the 59 Division I teams "Western" teams (NCHC, WCHA, B1G minus PSU, Air Force, Notre Dame). By those proportions, only 6 or 7 teams from the West should make the tourney.
                      I tend to agree in a way. Right now there are 6 Hockey East teams in the top 15. Conference play starts, they have to play each other, very possible one or Teri could drop out. Likewise, NCHC and WCHA are underrepresented. However, its also true that the eastern conferences did better in non conference play this year.

That's a change from pastyears. It has been more common for the west to do better in non conferences play in past years.

Comment

The Sioux Sport rankings as of 1/8
                        1 Minnesota
                        2 Boston College
                        3 St Cloud
                        4 Ferris State
                        5 Union
                        6 Quinnipiac
                        7 Providence
                        8 Mass.-Lowell
                        9 Michigan
                        10 Northeastern
                        11 Clarkson
                        12 Cornell
                        13 New Hampshire
                        14 Vermont
                        15 Wisconsin
                        ---
                        16 MSU-Mankato
                        17 Notre Dame
                        18 Maine
                        19 Miami
                        20 North Dakota
                        21 Yale
                        22 Lake Superior
                        23 Bowling Green
                        24 Colgate
                        25 Ohio State
                        26 Denver
                        27 Minnesota-Duluth
                        28 Brown
                        29 Nebraska-Omaha
                        30 St Lawrence
                        31 Rensselaer
                        32 Western Michigan
                        33 Alaska Anchorage
                        34 Air Force
                        35 Northern Michigan
                        36 Alaska
                        37 Harvard
                        38 Boston University
                        39 Michigan Tech
                        40 Massachusetts
                        41 Mercyhurst
                        42 Bemidji State
                        43 Connecticut
                        44 Bentley
                        45 Michigan State
                        46 Canisius
                        47 Merrimack
                        48 RIT
                        49 Dartmouth
                        50 Penn State
                        51 Colorado College
                        52 Princeton
                        53 Niagara
                        54 Holy Cross
                        55 Robert Morris
                        56 American Int'l
                        57 Alabama-Huntsville
                        58 Sacred Heart
                        59 Army

Comment

You gonna claim Notre Dame, too?
                          Maybe, if they ditch those helmets...
                          Last edited by blackbear80; 01-08-2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I tend to agree in a way. Right now there are 6 Hockey East teams in the top 15. Conference play starts, they have to play each other, very possible one or Teri could drop out. Likewise, NCHC and WCHA are underrepresented. However, its also true that the eastern conferences did better in non conference play this year.

That's a change from pastyears. It has been more common for the west to do better in non conferences play in past years.
                            We will know there is a real power change to the East when the committe does two things.

1) Put all the Hockey East teams in only 3 regions so they cannot have an all Hockey East FF.

2) make sure that the East's best teams end up in a "region of death" so they knock themselves out before the FF.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                              We will know there is a real power change to the East when the committe does two things.

1) Put all the ECAC teams in only 3 regions so they cannot have an all ECAC FF.

2) make sure that the East's best teams end up in a "region of death" so they knock themselves out before the FF.
                              FYP
                              a
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                FYP
                                a
                                I don't pay attention to the east, does the ECAC use the nickname "Atlantic"? I think I may have heard of them before.
                                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X