View Poll Results: what do you think of fighting in women's hockey?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hockey without fighting is like pancakes without maple syrup.

8 16.00%
  • Womenís hockey is boring, but I like a good cat fight.

0 0%
  • If it brings attention to womenís hockey, I can tolerate it.

7 14.00%
  • If youíre losing, then kick their *** so you have a better chance of winning next time.

0 0%
  • It sets a bad example for younger players, fighting has no place in hockey.

14 28.00%
  • Itís OK for the menís game, but itís not ladylike and doesnít belong in womenís hockey.

0 0%
  • I enjoy womenís hockey because it emphasizes skill, if you want fighting, play/watch menís hockey.

24 48.00%
  • I have no idea, Iím still trying to figure out why they call it a Zamboni.

0 0%
  • Women play hockey?

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fighting in women's hockey poll

The fighting in women's hockey poll

so waddya think?

Re: The fighting in women's hockey poll

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    so waddya think?
    Good poll. Personally I don't like fighting, for either sex. Turns me off, actually.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

I need an option including free bacon served at games.
    MINNESOTA HOCKEY

Tune into the BC thread for the latest from FOX News, Rush, Glenn, Sean and Ann.

Note: This is not the signature originally in question.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Personally I don't like fighting, for either sex. Turns me off, actually.
    Ditto.

Where's the option: "I enjoy women's hockey, and a good cat fight on occasion is fine." Kind of like seeing a couple of guys go at it in a football game. You know you have a rivalry if things get out of hand once in awhile.
    University of North Dakota

National Championships: 7
    Frozen Fours: 20
    WCHA Titles: 15
    12 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances

Vort Doen.....Heija Heija Heija OnMAA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheEagle View Post
    Where's the option: "I enjoy women's hockey, and a good cat fight on occasion is fine." Kind of like seeing a couple of guys go at it in a football game. You know you have a rivalry if things get out of hand once in awhile.
    My option is not posted in the list either. "Prefer that fighting not be part of the game, but there is nothing wrong with a tempers flared incident to stand up for your team mates and hard nosed physical hockey".

That alumni band guy

Quote Originally Posted by OnMAA View Post
    My option is not posted in the list either. "Prefer that fighting not be part of the game, but there is nothing wrong with a tempers flared incident to stand up for your team mates and hard nosed physical hockey".
    Seconded!
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013

You called that fighting??? No gloves off = face washes and b@#$% slaps. Funny to watch but not real fighting. Laughable and makes women's hockey look silly.

"My option is not posted in the list either. "Prefer that fighting not be part of the game, but there is nothing wrong with a tempers flared incident to stand up for your team mates and hard nosed physical hockey".

CrazyDave wrote: "Seconded"

Thirded!
    Last edited by Watson Rink; 12-24-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Experiencing withdrawal symptoms TonyTheTiger20's Avatar

This, although "If it brings attention to women’s hockey, I can tolerate it" was a pretty good option.

I think men's college hockey handles fighting pretty well. There are always scuffles but it's broken up immediately. In that sense, which I think is the difference, the anger boiling over is part of the game, not made into a side-show with the refs stepping back and letting two guys go at it.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    BC Interruption Hockey Writer
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Fourthed!

Quote Originally Posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
    You called that fighting??? No gloves off = face washes and b@#$% slaps. Funny to watch but not real fighting. Laughable and makes women's hockey look silly.
    So because they didn't take their gloves off it wasn't fighting? That's really your argument here?

I guess we should call Mike Tyson the former Face Wash and B@#$% Slap Heavyweight Champion.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    BC Interruption Hockey Writer
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Haha...did you watch this little dustup?? That wasn't fighting. It was wrestling, mixed in with a little slow dancing and a lot of trash talking. (Actually, the trash talking would been more entertaining.) Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    So because they didn't take their gloves off it wasn't fighting? That's really your argument here?

I guess we should call Mike Tyson the former Face Wash and B@#$% Slap Heavyweight Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
    Haha...did you watch this little dustup?? That wasn't fighting. It was wrestling, mixed in with a little slow dancing and a lot of trash talking. (Actually, the trash talking would been more entertaining.) Embarrassing.
    I did see it. Just because no one dropped the gloves, danced in a circle for 45 seconds, and then closed in for a warm embrace like in the NHL doesn't mean it's not a fight.

Also seriously what does this even mean?
    That wasn't fighting. It was wrestling
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 12-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Darwin has sufficiently snuffed out any need for fighting in both men's and women's...whether through today's fast paced/skilled game or the disappearance of throwback fans who actually get something out of it. NCAA nailed this one decades ago.
    Go Gophers!

I find hockey fights to be not only appalling but also boring. My ex-wife talked me into watching boxing for a while and, while I never overcame my distaste for it (and haven't watched a moment of it since she left) I could see how it might be exciting. As fights go, though, once you've put on a pair of skates and are on a slippery surface, the result is pretty pathetic. So fighting as a spectacle leaves me cold.

And the moral implications of the players that go out to start a fight in order to put a spark to a team that is flat are just disgusting. If the only way that a group of adults can think of to motivate themselves to work hard is to have one of them go out and punch someone in the face, they deserve to lose. That people buy into this logic, that it is somehow justifiable to try to beat someone up as a way to get yourself to play hard, chills me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    And the moral implications of the players that go out to start a fight in order to put a spark to a team that is flat are just disgusting. If the only way that a group of adults can think of to motivate themselves to work hard is to have one of them go out and punch someone in the face, they deserve to lose. That people buy into this logic, that it is somehow justifiable to try to beat someone up as a way to get yourself to play hard, chills me.
    Running people sort of falls into the same category. During a high school game my brother in law saw the other team's coach tap a kid on the bench and pointed out my nephew who was on the ice. The tapee hopped the boards and immediately followed instructions...with the puck in one end and my nephew in the neutral zone the young goon ran my nephew from behind, driving him into the boards head first, again, with neither player anywhere near the puck. The result was my nephew sustained a broken neck. You wouldn't want to wish the ensuing agony that his parents went through (not to mention my nephew) on anyone...sitting in the hospital waiting through hours of surgery not knowing what the outcome was going to be after being prepared by the surgeons that a positive outcome was real low percentage stuff.

The head surgeon finally surfaced and approached my brother in law and said "there's no need for you to ever buy any more tickets...you just won the lottery today". The procedure was a resounding success with my nephew "only" losing about 30% of a normal range of motion on one side.

So, these acts while being barbaric can also be criminal.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 12-24-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Running people sort of falls into the same category. During a high school game my brother in law saw the other team's coach tap a kid on the bench and pointed out my nephew who was on the ice. The tapee hopped the boards and immediately followed instructions...with the puck in one end and my nephew in the neutral zone the young goon ran my nephew from behind, driving him into the boards head first, again, with neither player anywhere near the puck. The result was my nephew sustained a broken neck. You wouldn't want to wish the ensuing agony that his parents went through (not to mention my nephew) on anyone...sitting in the hospital waiting through hours of surgery not knowing what the outcome was going to be after being prepared by the surgeons that a positive outcome was real low percentage stuff.

The head surgeon finally surfaced and approached my brother in law and said "there's no need for you to ever buy any more tickets...you just won the lottery today". The procedure was a resounding success with my nephew "only" losing about 30% of a normal range of motion on one side.

So, these acts while being barbaric can also be criminal.
    Fighting only shows that your talent or skill set is limited. For a coach "tap" a shoulder only shows his lack of coaching ability and educate himself in the sport. I can see if your backed Into a corner for sure defend yourself.

This guy should not be near a bench or for that matter amongst youth.

Lams always players with an edge but to take cheap shots is another thing. If they think intimidation is what's gonna help them, think again. At this level, if your afraid of your opponent, you prob should not be there.

So let's define fighting. NHL gloves off is one game. NCAA D1 Women's is obviously a different game. Seriously if you can't tell the difference, stop typing. Hockey is a rough game. Played at the highest level or even at any serious level, there are some unwriten rules. Don't mess with our goalie. You're going to get some reprecussion, or you should if you do. Never liked chippy BS. But the best players always took care of their goalie. Think Darwitz and Wendall, not Lam's.

you guys crack me up honestly. so players sticking up for their own players is ok unless its the lams doing it. the lams, teammates, and coach all said the reason for the "altercation" at the ralph was sticking up for a teammate (even if you dont believe jenner's elbow made contact, they all did) they didn't go after her for no reason. they were up 4-1 and canada was playing rough.

Thread Information