X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Wisconsin, no way
    I'm with you.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      I'm all for playing at small buildings. We don't fill the ones that we have, so why do we think that we'll fill a much bigger one when everyone has to travel on short notice? How many people did Ferris get down there? 500? Unless all 2,000 of the people that regularly go to FSU games make the drive, I just don't see playing to a cavernously-empty crowd, and I know from empty buildings. I'm sensitive to this, because it's been years since we've had a non-promotion crowd break 4k, and for us, that's not even 2/3 full (6600). I'd rather this be in a 3000-4000 cap. facility with it at least 1/3 full. Hell, just sell all tickets on the far broadcast side and we'll be okay.

GFM
      Attendance wasn't great either night but tot be fair there were far more than 500. They probably put about 4k in there last night and 3500 tonight. Both are far more than the capacity FSU could get at home. Hoping for more probably would have been foolish on the WCHAs part. Though I do wish they would lower ticket prices a bit and close the upper deck, there no point in spreading the fans out and sticking people up there.
      Ferris State University - 2012 Frozen Four

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        I'm with you.
        I really feel like VanAndel was a great venue, but if Ferris doesn't make it the place would've been empty. Moving to a more central location I don't think would have helped at all. If we had been in Green Bay Ferris probably brings several thousand fewer. BG and Alaska about the same, and best case Manakto a thousand more? A more central location probably brings more attendance certainty, but most often very poor attendance. I think the only way to improve upon attendance is to have the number one seed host, but even that isn't a guarantee. If Ferris had hosted the crowds would have been smaller by nessecity. I think having the one seed host it or holding it close to a campus site and hoping for the best are the only two options. Green Bay makes no sense in any scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jwilly48 View Post
          I really feel like VanAndel was a great venue, but if Ferris doesn't make it the place would've been empty. Moving to a more central location I don't think would have helped at all. If we had been in Green Bay Ferris probably brings several thousand fewer. BG and Alaska about the same, and best case Manakto a thousand more? A more central location probably brings more attendance certainty, but most often very poor attendance. I think the only way to improve upon attendance is to have the number one seed host, but even that isn't a guarantee. If Ferris had hosted the crowds would have been smaller by nessecity. I think having the one seed host it or holding it close to a campus site and hoping for the best are the only two options. Green Bay makes no sense in any scenario.
          What about Huntsville?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
            What about Huntsville?
            What about it? I'm sure if UAH were in the Final Five it would draw just fine. It's all about who makes it, which is why a neutral site doesn't offer much of anything positive

Comment

What about it? It's all about who makes it, which is why a neutral site doesn't offer much of anything positive
              A neutral site gives a place for fans to meet and party.

Duluth or Madison would fit.

Comment

I don't doubt Grand Rapids is a solid venue, but as spread out as this league is, I think it would be better off in a place with better air connections, like MSP or Chicago, that is still centrally located for driving. Just speaking for myself, had UAF made the Final Five and it was in St. Paul this year, I would have gone because MSP is an easy nonstop flight from AK. On the flip side, the likelihood of me going to Grand Rapids was zilch.

That, or ditch the whole concept of one set tourney location and start rotating the F5 through campus venues/cities.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: The New WCHA IV (2013-14): Unlocked and Cocked

I'm not sure the neutral site problems can be alleviated. There are only 3 schools within a half day's drive of Grand Rapids (Ferris, BG, LSSU) and two within the Twin Cities (Minn St, Bemidji). Green Bay would have four (Tech, NMU, LSSU, Minn St). And all (except the UA's) are within 7 or 71/2 But there are availability issues. Whichever venue they are at, attendance will largely depend upon which teams make it. I'd hate to see what would have happened had Ferris not been in Big Rapids. I also don't hold out much hope for St Paul if Minn St isn't there, and playing in an 18,000 seater at the same time as the NCHC at the Target Center is ludicrous. Duluth might be a nice compromise, but what kind of control does UMD have at AMSoil. I also like the idea of the top seed hosting the W4, but is it plausible to find 50 rooms for the teams, plus fans etc on short notice? There are dozens of questions, but few slam dunk easy answers. I don't envy those in the league office and the ADs making the decisions.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                    A neutral site gives a place for fans to meet and party.

Duluth or Madison would fit.
                    Duluth???????????

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                      Duluth???????????
                      New rink, easy to get to, great downtown and a great hockey town.

Comment

Great hockey.
                        Great venue.
                        But something has to be done to increase attendance.
                        From what we saw on TV the Final 4ive lost rather than made money.
                        I don't have the answer however the league better come up with something quick or it looks like red ink renting a 20,000 seat arena for next year.
                        Maybe Squarebanks idea of rotating would help.
                        And get real about the rotation. No Ferris or Alaska schools hosting. Remember two sentences back? Get real! Lets try to make a buck not be politically correct.
                        And yes I am a staunch UAA supporter living in Anchorage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                          Maybe Squarebanks idea of rotating would help.
                          And get real about the rotation. No Ferris or Alaska schools hosting. Remember two sentences back? Get real! Lets try to make a buck not be politically correct.
                          So have the WCHA finals in Bowling Green, Huntsville, Soo, Houghton, Marquette, Mankato, and Bemdji.

Would it work?

I think so. It sure would help the economy in those cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                            New rink, easy to get to, great downtown and a great hockey town.
                            Ummm, you do know they left the WCHA, right? And the hockey fans that are in that town would likely head to the NCHC tournament being held the same weekend?

Comment

A central location doesn't exist. The Alaskas and Huntsville are complete outliers, and Ferris, Lake State, and BG are screwed by Lake Michigan. That leaves Tech, Northern, Mankato, and Bemidji. The most central location now is Green Bay, which is still 3 hours for Northern.

The most central location we have for a Final Five is Marquette. I think we should just scrap playing on neutral ice, and have the higher seeds host, but that's just me.
                              BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post

The most central location we have for a Final Five is Marquette. I think we should just scrap playing on neutral ice,
                                Yes

Comment

Working...
                                X