This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2nd Term Part VII: You May Like Your Doctor But You Can't Keep Her

It makes zero sense to propose a balanced budget that has no hope of getting passed. I'd prefer to deal in the world of reality instead of fantasy.

What the country needs to do is gradually bring down the deficit, and then if/when we get a surplus don't blow it on tax cuts for GOP campaign contributors under the talking point of "its the people's money". Its the people's debt too, and it can't be paid down with gimmicky tax policies.

So, if that has to be done piecemeal, so be it. Its not the way I would do it, but if I had all encompassing power over every living thing (great SNL skit w/Steve Martin) tax policy would be pretty far down my list. Score settling might be a bit higher.

The country could easily cut the annual deficit in half with some painless changes to existing law. Get rid of oil/AG/carried interest tax breaks, limit total deductions, allow Medicare to bargain for prescription drugs, tort reform, wind down war spending, etc. The rest can be taken care of with increased growth which is already happening. The Bush fiscal years were, in a word, ruinous. That doesn't turn around in a day, and if you try to do too much too quick you get the British economy, which is dead in the water.

Lastly, the mortgage analogy is an interesting one. The US has proven natural resouces reserves of many times what the total debt is. So, could you keep taking out a bigger mortgage year after year if you have 5 times the value of your house in other assets? To quote a popular conservative thinker, You Betcha! ;D
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
      Because we are turning the Titanic here. Yes the debt has grown, but the deficit has gotten smaller every year. The only way to eventually shrink the debt is to turn the deficit into a surplus, and I don't see how you can say we are getting WORSE when it comes to that?? We are at least moving in the right direction, how is that worse than when we were sprinting away from the finish line?
      Correct. Obama has passed no legislation that I am aware of that have the cost drivers that Medicare Part D, NCLB, and two wars do. It's not even close. The bills for those 4 things alone will be paying for the next 10 decades or more.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Correct. Obama has passed no legislation that I am aware of that have the cost drivers that Medicare Part D, NCLB, and two wars do. It's not even close. The bills for those 4 things alone will be paying for the next 10 decades or more.
        We're paying for a large chunk of everything the federal government is doing now for the next 10 decades, given that, what, 43 cents out of every dollars the feds spend (saw that simetime in the last year or two) is borrowed. The disconnect is so staggering that almost no politician and little of the public is willing to face the realities of what is going on.

Take off your partisan rose-colored glasses just for a moment. This train wreck is both parties fault and neither is showing much inclination or interest in fixing it.
        Last edited by Bob Gray; 12-18-2013, 02:19 PM.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          We're paying for a large chunk of everything the federal government is doing now for the next 10 decades, given that, what, 43 cents out of every dollars the feds spend (saw that simetime in the last year or two) is borrowed. The disconnect is so staggering that almost no politician and little of the public is willing to face the realities of what is going on.
          And name one policy that's happened in either of the last two Presidencies that addresses any of that?

Simple. There is none.

Now name one Obama driven piece of legislation that comes anywhere near the (4) things Bush did to explode the debt.

Simple. There is none.

Thanks for playing.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

And name one policy that's happened in either of the last two Presidencies that addresses any of that?

Simple. There is none.

Now name one Obama driven piece of legislation that comes anywhere near the (4) things Bush did to explode the debt.

Simple. There is none.

Thanks for playing.
            So the exploding federal deficit under Obama just came from nowhere? You really do live in fantasy land. Try listening to a speech by Obama without hearing him promise more federal goodies to people. It'll be a tough, if not impossible task. But, hey, stick your head in the sand and pretend the federal budget would be in great shape if your Dems were running everything.
            Very well, said.
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

So the exploding federal deficit under Obama just came from nowhere? You really do live in fantasy land. Try listening to a speech by Obama without hearing him promise more federal goodies to people. It'll be a tough, if not impossible task. But, hey, stick your head in the sand and pretend the federal budget would be in great shape if your Dems were running everything.
              Name the legislation. I named 4 from Bush that were completely unpaid for. At least Obamacare raised taxes, fees etc to help pay for it.

I bet the 4 things passed under Bush, along with SS and Medicare which already existed have driven the debt up more than anything Obama has done. But, yeah, I'm the one with the head in the sand.

I understand the Republican model now. Pass expensive legislation without paying for it. Everyone will forget that you drove up the debt.

Comment

Name the legislation. I named 4 from Bush that were completely unpaid for. At least Obamacare raised taxes, fees etc to help pay for it.

I bet the 4 things passed under Bush, along with SS and Medicare which already existed have driven the debt up more than anything Obama has done. But, yeah, I'm the one with the head in the sand.

I understand the Republican model now. Pass expensive legislation without paying for it. Everyone will forget that you drove up the debt.
                Again, take off your partisan blinders. I'm blaming both parties. To me it goes all the way back to Tip O'Neill and Reagan, where both made a deal to get the spending they wanted, and it's gotten worse since then. You really are ridiculous. I'm not wasting my time listing all Obama's spending foibles (stimulus, cash for clunkers, and on and on). Even in your post you concede that Obamacare is only partially paid for (and even that was smoke and mirrors to some extent).
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Again, take off your partisan blinders. I'm blaming both parties. To me it goes all the way back to Tip O'Neill and Reagan, where both made a deal to get the spending they wanted, and it's gotten worse since then. You really are ridiculous. I'm not wasting my time listing all Obama's spending foibles (stimulus, cash for clunkers, and on and on). Even in your post you concede that Obamacare is only partially paid for (and even that was smoke and mirrors to some extent).
                  stimulus and cash for clunkers are all done. The Big 4 from Bush rage on.

Comment

Obamacare was priced out for 10 years from passing. Freebies for 5 of those years, increased taxes for 8 or 9 (I forget which) in order to get that "budget neutral" rating from the CBO. After that, how does Obamacare "pay for itself"? How will it impact the budget in terms of defecit or surplus?
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

stimulus and cash for clunkers are all done. The Big 4 from Bush rage on.
                      Do you know the concept of "big picture"?
                      Very well, said.
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Obamacare was priced out for 10 years from passing. Freebies for 5 of those years, increased taxes for 8 or 9 (I forget which) in order to get that "budget neutral" rating from the CBO. After that, how does Obamacare "pay for itself"? How will it impact the budget in terms of defecit or surplus?
                        Not sure what you're asking here. If its what happens beyond 10 years, that's all highly speculative at this point so I understand why the CBO prices most things over a 10 year horizon. I've worked for a couple of Fortune 500 companies in finance, and I've yet to see any division in either of them try to even hazard a guess beyond 5 years into the future.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          The country could easily cut the annual deficit in half with some painless changes to existing law.
                          Completely agree. SO WHY HASN'T THE PRESIDENT DONE IT? Follow up: why doesn't any lefty care or hold him accountable?
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I didn't say it was perfect. They tried to pay for it though and the CBO has it budget neutral.

What was the rating for the big 4 from Bush? Where was my tax increase for those?

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            Completely agree. SO WHY HASN'T THE PRESIDENT DONE IT? Follow up: why doesn't any lefty care or hold him accountable?
                            No one held Bush accountable. They even gave him a second term so he could drive the entire economy of the greatest economic power in the world to dust.

Comment

Yep. We managed to find the only thing that will even moderately reign in the spending of a Democratic administration - saddling the country with so much debt that the government's hands are tied. Yippee. Enjoy that orchestra music while Obama pretends to try to turn the Titanic - probably not the best large ship to use in that analogy!
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I didn't say it was perfect. They tried to pay for it though and the CBO has it budget neutral.

What was the rating for the big 4 from Bush? Where was my tax increase for those?

No one held Bush accountable. They even gave him a second term so he could drive the entire economy of the greatest economic power in the world to dust.
                                So it's ok to not hold Obama accountable because Bush wasn't held accountable for fiscal irresponsibility either? Wow. You're in rich form today. I guess your mama never taught you that two wrongs don't make a right.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X