X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVII

Originally posted by duper View Post
    All right. While we wait for next season, who do we have going in the pros?
    Will be interesting to see what happens with 21 and 4. Young forwards figuring it out was a big theme of the year, and we know Sam and Makowski are gone, so the biggest unknown is the well-regarded defensemen. Gotta figure Butcher has some potential to replace Makowski somewhat, he's got some good offensive instincts, but we don't really have much in the way of a big, physical presence, and losing Didier would really hurt in that regard.
    University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
    Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in the Mermis household yesterday. There's something to be said for Jimmy Montgomery, who don't forget, coached back to back USHL Championships... and his then-crown jewel, Boudreau - headed to the FF with BC. I'd shake Jim's hand for that. That kid is like Jason Zucker and Rhett Rakshani on steroids. Very talented. Are we going to have an outdoor game next season? If the Avs and Stan Keronke will foot the bill, I'd say it's a done deal. That will be pretty wild. Friday night under the lights at Coors Field. And it will be cold. I actually feel invigorated as to where this DU program is headed. We have the right Coach - end of story. Rebuilding year?? Let me tell you something - Colorado College, the United States Air Force and The Michigan Wolveriens WISH they had a season like Denver had!
      I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Right. It's just you. I'm wondering if that jerk was wearing his Carnac turban when he speculated about what was in Montgomery's mind many years ago during the Hobey presentation ceremony. The merest coincidence that he picks the day DU suffers a humiliating NC$$ defeat to off load his concerns about Montgomery's "character issues?" And talk about "undeserved" AQ? All of this shiza strikes you as "thoughtful?" This a*shole can offer no more insight on Jim Montgomery than Robert Montgomery. Or even Elizabeth Montgomery.
        Holy c-r-a-p Old Pio! It looks like your meds have stopped working again!
        Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
          Holy c-r-a-p Old Pio! It looks like your meds have stopped working again!
          If you want to extend the benefit of the doubt to some pr*ck who clearly doesn't deserve it, knock yourself out.

Note: among certain hebephrenics who post here, that trope about "meds" is funny, no matter how many hundreds of times they mention it. But in the real world, not so much. I stand up for DU, its teams, players and coaches against trolls. Sue me.
          Last edited by Old Pio; 03-30-2014, 11:47 PM.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

1. Old Pio was right to call me out as a troll, if just on the basis of referencing the AQ issue; I had no reason to go there on the Pioneers' thread. (It's on me that I hate the inequity of granting arbitrary AQs, and not on Denver.)

2. Yes, Maine hockey has been pretty-much irrelevant for years now... No argument there.

3. I am certainly not in Monty's head, but I did watch his years at Maine, and how he reacted to this and that on the ice (eg. turning his back on Kariya after PK had just delivered the NC-GWG directly onto Jimmy's stick.) More recently, I dug-up some "Back In The Woods" YouTube video from '93, and saw how he behaved in the locker room between periods... Then, I read on here about his (allegedly) losing it during the BC game.

All little things that might well amount to nothing; I was just thinking aloud that he could possibly have certain ego-issues that get in his way.

I wish a good off-season to you all.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-31-2014, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              1. Old Pio was right to call me out as a troll, if just on the basis of referencing the AQ issue; I had no reason to go there on the Pioneers' thread. (It's on me that I hate the inequity of granting arbitrary AQs, and not on Denver.)

2. Yes, Maine hockey has been pretty-much irrelevant for years now... No argument there.

3. I am certainly not in Monty's head, but I did watch his years at Maine, and how he reacted to this and that on the ice (eg. turning his back on Kariya after PK had just delivered the NC-GWG directly onto Jimmy's stick.) More recently, I dug-up some "Back In The Woods" YouTube video from '93, and saw how he behaved in the locker room between periods... Then, I read on here about his (allegedly) losing it during the BC game.

All little things that might well amount to nothing; I was just thinking aloud that he could possibly have certain ego-issues that get in his way.

I wish a good off-season to you all.
              No alleged about it, you could hear it in the stands. I heard him ranting, but couldn't make out what he was saying, only that he was saying it loudly. My friend sitting closer to the bench area said he yelled at York when he ran out the top line on the PP: "It's ********** 6-1!!!!"

Take it for what you will.
              Lowell Forever
              Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Then, I read on here about his (allegedly) losing it during the BC game.
                Yea definitely not alleged. It most certainly happened.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Season ending wrap-up from Montgomery.

One quick addendum: one year ago tomorrow George Gwozdecky was fired.
                  Last edited by A Shot and a Goal; 03-31-2014, 11:38 AM.
                  sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                    Season ending wrap-up from Montgomery.

One quick addendum: one year ago tomorrow George Gwozdecky was fired.
                    Interesting quote from Viva Larraza.

"This is the biggest base of a group of guys since I've been here. The last two years, we've lost quite a few guys, but this year it looks like almost everybody will be staying," Larraza said. "It hurts (to bow out) right now, but we have a good foundation to build on for next year."
                    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                      Interesting quote from Viva Larraza.
                      Watching BC demolish the Pioneers, and Minnesota, it's clear DU has some work to do to get comparable again with those programs. This has been going on now for several years and has been the source of frustration for us all. Each season is different, of course, but there's been an early out pattern for the past several years that needs to be addressed. I wish there were some obvious answer, but DU needs to get back to the Frozen Four, period.

As for Montgomery, to apply intuition about facial expressions from 20 years ago to a blow up this past weekend and draw negative conclusions about his "mental" fitness for the job is profoundly unfair. My God, he "turned his back on Kariya." Without genuflecting? And he wasn't arrested? How did that happen? In the same way the Sioux diks keep bringing up Gwoz on the dasher. That wasn't him. And I suspect this weekend wasn't Montgomery. Let's face it, DU was getting killed. 6 zip in the 2nd period, for Chr*st's sake! Under those circumstances, Mother Theresa could be forgiven for blowing off a little steam.

Gwoz was the very definition of buttoned up. Montgomery may not be. There have been quite a few emotional coaches over the years who've had great success. So let's not be so quick to generalize about Montgomery. That was one of the worst a*s kickings in modern DU history. And I'm not expecting too many more drubbings on that scale in the future. Let's not give any credence whatsoever to Maine "fans" who've got nothing better to do than come here and talk smack. Their phony concerns are so much piffle and should be ignored.
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 03-31-2014, 02:35 PM.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

After the unexpected high of winning the NCHC tournament, facing the favored BC Eagles the Pios had a crash landing in Worcester. Against BC's top line we DU looked like tourists seeing their first Hollywood star. Monty may have been upset that Jerry York brought the top line out for a Power Play, but it did seem that York backed off in the 3rd with the game in hand. BC's top line sat for 6 or 7 minutes in the 3rd per York.

Cowley gave up no goals. Two freshman scored goals. Against BC's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines we won 2-0 The team kept playing no matter the score. No gooning it up or drawing a major penalty.

It certainly wasn't the way we wanted the season to end, but who predicted we would even be in the tournament? York told his team you want to win the "Hat games." And the Pios earned a Hat this year.

Seniors

Sam Brittain played in 39 games, made 1130 saves, had 5 shutouts, GAA 2.22 and Sv% of .929. Unfortunately his last game will be the one he wants to forget. I don't think there is any question that without Sam "The Great" Brittain, DU would NOT have won 20 games this year.

With the exception of a concussion/migraine plagued sophomore year David Makowski has basically been an iron man on the blue line. 140+ games, 93 points in his career at DU. He made the highlights with a 180 foot +, short handed, goal against Tech. Tri-Captain as a senior.

Sean Toriumi and Wade Bennett played in only 4 games apiece, but that's when the Pios needed them the most. Sean played Clun Hockey and answered the call for tryouts to the Varsity and made the team. Plagued by injuries, Wade had his first regular season playing time this year.

Good Luck to you all!
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Ugly way to end the season for DU. All that positive momentum generated from the NCHC tournament came to a screeching halt on Sat. BC was a buzzsaw, and DU's pushback was as effective as a stick of warm butter. No question the better team won, but there was way too much tentative play and standing around. I felt badly for Brittain--not the way I wanted things to end for him. Having said that, I'm proud of the team for making the national tournament.

There were certainly ups and downs, highs and lows this year. The debacle vs CC and losing the Gold Pan, the loss to Canisius, no home ice for the NCHC playoffs, and the grease fire vs BC all stand out. On the flipside, there were exciting wins vs UND, SCSU, and WMU, a 20-win season, and of course the NCHC tournament run. Some things to be proud of.

Looking forward to seeing how this program evolves under Monty and what kind of progress is made next year.

Comment

Tweet from Chris Peters of The United States of Hockey
                            "So your team missed out on Christian Folin, who should they target now? On D, I
                            like David Makowski (DU) and Shayne Taker (Notre Dame)."

Kyle Ostrow released by Abbotsford.
                            Does he come back to Colorado?
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Where does Sam Brittain's 2013-14 season rank in the DU record book?
                              Think you'll agree it has been our privilege to watch one of DU's best goal tenders of all time.

39 Games Played 3rd Tied with Berkhoel(03-04)^

1130 Saves 3rd

5 Shutouts 5th Tied with Mannino(04-05)^ and Powers(68-69)^

2,22 Goals Against 7th between Mannino (2.19 2004-05)^ and Powers (2.23 68-69)^

,929 Save Percentage 4th between Cheverie (.932 09-10)** [Sam's 2011-12 .932 tied for 2nd]
                              and Mannino (.927 04-05)^

And a single game record you can't forget: MOST SAVES 1st 67 vs. Minnesota Duluth (March 16, 2012, 2OT)

^=NCAA Championship
                              **=All American
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                Watching BC demolish the Pioneers, and Minnesota, it's clear DU has some work to do to get comparable again with those programs. This has been going on now for several years and has been the source of frustration for us all. Each season is different, of course, but there's been an early out pattern for the past several years that needs to be addressed. I wish there were some obvious answer, but DU needs to get back to the Frozen Four, period.

As for Montgomery, to apply intuition about facial expressions from 20 years ago to a blow up this past weekend and draw negative conclusions about his "mental" fitness for the job is profoundly unfair. My God, he "turned his back on Kariya." Without genuflecting? And he wasn't arrested? How did that happen? In the same way the Sioux diks keep bringing up Gwoz on the dasher. That wasn't him. And I suspect this weekend wasn't Montgomery. Let's face it, DU was getting killed. 6 zip in the 2nd period, for Chr*st's sake! Under those circumstances, Mother Theresa could be forgiven for blowing off a little steam.

Gwoz was the very definition of buttoned up. Montgomery may not be. There have been quite a few emotional coaches over the years who've had great success. So let's not be so quick to generalize about Montgomery. That was one of the worst a*s kickings in modern DU history. And I'm not expecting too many more drubbings on that scale in the future. Let's not give any credence whatsoever to Maine "fans" who've got nothing better to do than come here and talk smack. Their phony concerns are so much piffle and should be ignored.
                                I admit (again) to unnecessarily referencing the AQ and, ergo, coming off like a "dik". Guilty as charged; it was not to the point at all.

What I was actually trying to figure-out is why Maine passed on Monty when he obviously wanted the job, and when he had (apparently) great support from the fan-base, and when he was right there for the taking after having great success at the Junior level. All of us over here were scratching our heads about that, if not actually howling about it... We all assumed that he was the heir-apparent in Orono, and were astounded that he was not even contacted by Maine.

We still don't know why that didn't happen. It's still a total mystery, but one would have to assume that there was some sort of reason for it.

Reading Denver fans' comments on this topic has been very interesting, if inconclusive. Thanks to you all.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-02-2014, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X