X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red Light District

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Quinnipiac has a tendency to play down to their opponents, but they couldn't do that last night as Maine gave them all they could handle. The difference was Maine's compete level as they never gave up. It looked like they totally fooled the Bobcats and if not for some good goaltending could have easily gone home with the win. They hit when they had to, blocked shots when they needed to, and disrupted Q's breakout numerous times. Oullette made some huge saves that kept momentum in Maine's favor. After tying the game they were energized and relentless at times. Sure, they looked a little gassed late in the 3rd but still played their game.

There seems to be some hope in Orono. Good luck the rest of the way.
    Maine isn't playing passively any more, and that situation alone gives them a chance against more-talented opponents such as Quinnipiac, which is probably as good as any team in the nation this year. (And yes, I've seen Minnesota on the tube a bunch of times, too.)

I haven't seen Rutt play a disciplined game yet; he's been a selfish hot-head and a liability to Maine as often as not. I'd have no problem with Red sitting him, or even dismissing him... He's not worth the trouble, so far.

Does anyone know what ails Byron? That kid is a key player for The Bears, and the straw that stirs the drink on that impressive Freshman line. Hope he's back soon.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-05-2014, 01:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Maine isn't playing passively any more, and that situation alone gives them a chance against more-talented opponents such as Quinnipiac, which is probably as good as any team in the nation this year. (And yes, I've seen Minnesota on the tube a bunch of times, too.)

I haven't seen Rutt play a disciplined game yet; he's been a selfish hot-head and a liability to Maine as often as not. I'd have no problem with Red sitting him, or even dismissing him... He's not worth the trouble, so far.

Does anyone know what ails Byron? That kid is a key player for The Bears, and the straw that stirs the drink on that impressive Freshman line. Hope he's back soon.
      Seems to me you guys all pick a player each year to rip to shreds... if you watch the play on the turn over that led to the goal one of the Swavelys called for the puck then stumbled... costly mistake yes... deserving of constant thrashing no.... Now that Whiteheads gone and there's HUGE changes in work ethic and overall more fun to be fans let's do that.... be fans .... looking forward to frozen Fenway!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bleedblue44 View Post
        Seems to me you guys all pick a player each year to rip to shreds... if you watch the play on the turn over that led to the goal one of the Swavelys called for the puck then stumbled... costly mistake yes... deserving of constant thrashing no.... Now that Whiteheads gone and there's HUGE changes in work ethic and overall more fun to be fans let's do that.... be fans .... looking forward to frozen Fenway!
        Obviously you are not watching closely or don't understand the game. When we stop critiquing the boyz play, we are in trouble.
        sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
          Obviously you are not watching closely or don't understand the game. When we stop critiquing the boyz play, we are in trouble.
          Critique .... discuss... evaluate... my point is did anyone talk about the 2nd goal? Other mistakes made throughout the game? or other players that took dumb penalties? Made mistakes? ... call it how you see it however it seems directly (sometimes brutally) at one player at a time versus looking at the play as a whole .. discuss away some of it is intelligent and relevant. The individual player attacks take away from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleedblue44 View Post
            Critique .... discuss... evaluate... my point is did anyone talk about the 2nd goal? Other mistakes made throughout the game? or other players that took dumb penalties? Made mistakes? ... call it how you see it however it seems directly (sometimes brutally) at one player at a time versus looking at the play as a whole .. discuss away some of it is intelligent and relevant. The individual player attacks take away from that.
            Problem being that Rutt has a little too long of a history making, what I call, lazy mistakes. If you want to be successful, you absolutely have to eliminate those kind of errors. All too often in close games, that's all it takes is one mistake by the D to lose the game. Do we expect perfection? He'll no, but I'm confident he can do better.
            Last edited by all bear; 01-05-2014, 03:23 PM.
            sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
              Problem being that Rutt has a little too long of a history making, what I call, lazy mistakes. If you want to be successful, you absolutely have to eliminate those kind of errors. All too often in close games, that's all it takes is one mistake by the D to lose the game. Do we expect perfection? He'll no, but I'm confident he can do better.
              One thing Red has done well is dramatically reduce those mistakes by the team so those that occur stick out like sore thumbs.

Still a work in progress; some have learned faster than others.
              Last edited by blackbear80; 01-05-2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

As many of you have already noted, our team did look a bit gassed in the last period. It definitely shows against the better teams.

I'm not sure how I feel about playing Providence at the end of the year. It's at home, thank god, but I'm still a little nervous about late season fatigue.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbear80 View Post
                  One thing Red has done well is dramatically reduce those mistakes by the team so those that occur stick out like sore thumbs.

Still a work in progress; some have learned faster than others.
                  I agree; the improvement in the D play has been tremendous, and a guy who takes lazy/selfish penalties absolutely DOES stick-out.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbone View Post
                    As many of you have already noted, our team did look a bit gassed in the last period. It definitely shows against the better teams.

I'm not sure how I feel about playing Providence at the end of the year. It's at home, thank god, but I'm still a little nervous about late season fatigue.
                    IDK, not sure that it's a conditioning thing as much as it was about the Q being so deep and speedy, which has worn-out a number of teams this season in the 3rd.

(I saw them wear-out a really good PC squad with my own eyes; that's a very fast and aggressive Bobcat team.)

Maine's conditioning isn't the problem that it was last year, IMHO.

Comment

Q's game is puck control and that will wear out a D after awhile. Q was not able to establish its game I think until midway through the 3rd. Then you could see it start to take a toll on Maine. I agree, its not the conditioning, it was a very aggressive forecheck by the Q that wore them down in the end. Missing two key guys out of the lineup didnt help though. Would have loved to see the all freshman line buzz around their net if Byron wasnt out.
                      sure why not

Comment

I find it interesting that there were many comments made here about last year's team being out of shape. Now there are comments stating that the current team was "gassed" against Quinnipiac.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          I find it interesting that there were many comments made here about last year's team being out of shape. Now there are comments stating that the current team was "gassed" against Quinnipiac.
                          I don't think anybody is thinking this years team is out of shape and just not commenting on it. I think the point was that Q was a bigger, stronger...and more talented team with greater depth, and by the end of the third perod it showed the toll it took on a Maine team that gave max effort for the whole game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                            I don't think anybody is thinking this years team is out of shape and just not commenting on it. I think the point was that Q was a bigger, stronger...and more talented team with greater depth, and by the end of the third perod it showed the toll it took on a Maine team that gave max effort for the whole game.
                            With Byron, O'Connor, and Henke out they obviously didn't have the depth they would have if those guys were healthy. Did Norman get hurt during the game or did Red bench him? It seemed like for a lot of the game Maine was only skating five dmen.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

The Patriots will host the Colts Saturday night 8:15 CBS-TV. I heard both Jan 11th FrozFenway start times will be brought back (earlier times) to allow folks to watch the football game.

Anyone here have solid info on this that they can share with us? My info is only hearsay.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBear View Post
                                The Patriots will host the Colts Saturday night 8:15 CBS-TV. I heard both Jan 11th FrozFenway start times will be brought back (earlier times) to allow folks to watch the football game.

Anyone here have solid info on this that they can share with us? My info is only hearsay.

Thanks.
                                The times listed on the Hockey East and UMaine websites are 3 p.m. for Lowell vs. Northeastern and 6:30 p.m. for Maine vs. BU, which I believe is unchanged. However, Sunday's start time for the BC game was officially listed as 7:30 p.m., but the game didn't start until 8:30 p.m. Granted, the Merrimack-Providence game went to OT, but I believe most of the extra time was due to stoppages for shoveling snow off the ice and otherwise maintaining the ice surface.

Comment

Working...
                                X