X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red Light District

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    Watching this game I was very impressed with Maine from a Quinnipiac view. Maine played physical cut off passing lanes and worked hard. The future is bright in Orono in my view. Good luck the rest of the way.
    As Gendron has said many times...A Work in Progress every shift/period/game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      That's nothing new...anyone that has seen the games this year or listened to them can hear/see his game is not there...I mean do you really think that Williams couldn't play better defense..? Tough lost either way...they'll bounce back,from here on in its REAL Hockey/Hockey East play..!
      I think Williams is being punished by the new coaching staff because he is technically a "walk-on". The coaches aren't as invested in his potential because they literally aren't invested in him. I can't think of any other reason why he isn't getting a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        They were empty last year too, it's ridiculous. Maine's schedule is rubbish and they're charging too much, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

The pricing is indeed ridiculous. I considered driving up from Portland to see the Sacred Heart weekend, but the only decent seats available were 50 bucks a pop, and that's way too much to ask for any RS game, never mind vs. Sacred Heart.

Been to a ton of D-1 venues, and no other place I've been to has the audacity to extort that kind of cash. (Most of the places charge in the $8-$15 range, and with de-facto General Admission, in terms of where you want to sit.)

That's definitely something the new AD has to work on. As I like to say: I can afford to pay $10 for a cup of coffee, but a cup of coffee isn't worth $10... It's time for the pricing at Maine to reflect the value of the product.

PS: Was OK with Maine just playing Quinnipiac tough tonight; I expected a more lopsided loss, having seen The Q outplay PC earlier this year.

I do believe that Red has this thing going-on way ahead of any reasonable schedule.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-04-2014, 01:44 AM.

Comment

A tough loss but you could almost see it happening . Maine was losing the puck battles late in the third and the Q has too much talent to give the puck away. Think Maine looked a little tired in the end too from running around. But, you can't fault the effort ,like you could with previous years.... winning on Q,'s home ice would have been a giant feather in their hat. You learn from these experiences. Now we know Maine can go toe to toe with a previous years final 4 team. I doubt any other He team will battle as hard on their home ice as Q did last night, and they can use that knowledge in the games ahead. Holding at 14, I figure they can only afford to lose 3 more games.
          Last edited by all bear; 01-04-2014, 05:48 AM.
          sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            As Walrus stated, Maine was "over matched".
            I don't believe Maine has the talent top to bottom that Q has. I'd also guess Maine is a lot younger than Q and therefore not as strong. They did compete with Q but the 3rd showed who had the better team. Not surprising and I still like this teams heart and the direction they are heading. They need more talent, time will tell if Red can get that? I'd say not having Byron and Brice hurt as lines got flipped around and this team doesn't have the depth to lose two starters, especially ones who play significant minutes.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Gotta say right now I too am a little disappointed with Rutt's play. Seems he is too often making the easy play and not the smart or safe play. With his experience that should not be a problem. Time for him to step up.
              sure why not

Comment

Maine gave Quinnipiac all it could handle...even their Coach(Pecknold)said it best when he addressed the Team in between periods that this was the first time that the players on the team were *****ing at each other...Maine got under their skin with tight checking,they frustrated them in not letting them play there game...1st goal was a turnover that should not have happened and the winning goal was from a bounced puck back to the front of the net and a good player buried his chance...that's hockey on that play and Maine could have had the same happen to them,they can play with anyone...they just can't afford to have the injury bug derail them...depth is the problem but that will get addressed in the next couple of years in the recruiting trail...@ 10-7-2 at this point/you have to say its higher then a lot of people expected...the test now is the Road games and a tough Hockey East play ahead...expect ups/downs and good and bad...as is the case in Rebuilding back a stalled program.

Comment

Quinnipiac has a tendency to play down to their opponents, but they couldn't do that last night as Maine gave them all they could handle. The difference was Maine's compete level as they never gave up. It looked like they totally fooled the Bobcats and if not for some good goaltending could have easily gone home with the win. They hit when they had to, blocked shots when they needed to, and disrupted Q's breakout numerous times. Oullette made some huge saves that kept momentum in Maine's favor. After tying the game they were energized and relentless at times. Sure, they looked a little gassed late in the 3rd but still played their game.

There seems to be some hope in Orono. Good luck the rest of the way.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                  Northeast Regional:
                  West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    I don't believe Maine has the talent top to bottom that Q has. I'd also guess Maine is a lot younger than Q and therefore not as strong. They did compete with Q but the 3rd showed who had the better team. Not surprising and I still like this teams heart and the direction they are heading. They need more talent, time will tell if Red can get that? I'd say not having Byron and Brice hurt as lines got flipped around and this team doesn't have the depth to lose two starters, especially ones who play significant minutes.
                    No they don't have the talent,but that being said, Red is getting just about everything he can out of what he has. I think the two injuries hurt big time last night. They were gassed at the end of the 3rd, but deserved better than the outcome they got. Rutt needs to sit....for the rest of the year for all I care. However, I am very pleased with this team to date. Red has done a great job and is way ahead of where I thought they'd be.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                      No they don't have the talent,but that being said, Red is getting just about everything he can out of what he has. I think the two injuries hurt big time last night. They were gassed at the end of the 3rd, but deserved better than the outcome they got. Rutt needs to sit....for the rest of the year for all I care. However, I am very pleased with this team to date. Red has done a great job and is way ahead of where I thought they'd be.
                      Right on to a point...I would believe sitting Rutt would send a message/which I really think he knows but it does not sink in with him,I won't sit him all season(unless he really doesn't figure it out)...but I do think that Williams would not hurt/plus would gain some experience-confidence and would add depth to the defense in case of injurys(with O'Conner out now as a prime example)...Gendron has them thinking positive and with the mindset that they can out work anyone on any night.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...ac-ncaa-hockey

Photo gallery from last night's game
                        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Frozen Fenway - BC vs ND
                          -It's not often you watch a game and hope both teams lose.
                          -The 10 min major/game misconduct on Sit just didn't look that egregious on TV, replay after replay.
                          -The ice conditions look terrible, regardless of the nice things the announcers are saying about the great work of the rink crew.
                          -These dijon mustard colored BC sweaters are really awful.
                          -It looks cold as s*** there tonight, starting the 3rd period at 10:40. I pray for warmer weather next Saturday.
                          -Black Bears put in a great effort last night at the Q. Q had their hands full. They weren't expecting to be pushed around and skated with. It was a loss. That sucks. Maine skated off the Q rink with heads high.

Comment

O'Reagan, Grzelcyk, Santini all played their respective games tonight after World Juniors. But no Gillies for PC.

BU loses to Harvard 7-4 over at Harvard tonight. Things not going well at all for BU and Coach Quinn. If the Black Bears show up well prepared, which they certainly will, we are leaving Fenway with a W.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                              Frozen Fenway - BC vs ND
                              -The ice conditions look terrible, regardless of the nice things the announcers are saying about the great work of the rink crew.
                              I caught the last portion of the PC & MC game and the ice was even worse. Player's from both teams had trouble just carrying the puck. Stick handling was nearly impossible. Hopefully the conditions are better next weekend. Important league points on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                                O'Reagan, Grzelcyk, Santini all played their respective games tonight after World Juniors. But no Gillies for PC.
                                There was something on twitter about the airline losing Gilles' equipment bag, so unfortunately he couldn't even dress.
                                Lowell Forever
                                Forever Lowell

Comment

Working...
                                X