2014 UNH Wildcats: Ending Strong and Starting Fresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 UNH Wildcats: Ending Strong and Starting Fresh

From the Men's Division I thread about Marty Scarano (UNH AD). This is an excerpt from the UNH Friends of Women's Hockey Newsletter (Author not identified in the post):

Time For A Change
    I have served on the board of Friends of UNH Women’s Hockey in some capacity for over a decade. What I have to say now does not come lightly, and has taken a lot of thought. First, and foremost, I support, and believe in this team with all my heart, and will continue to do so. I have faith that Coaches Wood and Jones will continue to bring the team forward with the integrity and tradition that has always been UNH Hockey, but I feel compelled to resign from the board. While I cannot pass judgement on the circumstances leading to the abrupt dismissal of Coach McCloskey, as I did not witness the event in question, I most certainly have an opinion about the way the situation was handled, particularly with regard to the immediate and misleading press release. In a meeting with the Athletic Director, we were told that as board members, we were “agents” of the University, and therefore obliged to function in the best interest of the school. We were told that if we were to publicly voice our opinion, we could be subject to legal action. In that moment, I no longer felt like I was “working” (VOLUNTEERING) for the UNH Women’s Hockey team, but for an administration that, in the course of my tenure, has rarely, if ever shown it’s gratitude for our efforts. Indeed, the more we gave, the more they asked and took from us, and until I feel confident that my time and effort are going in the right direction – toward positively enhancing the student-athlete’s experiences, and growing and recruiting our fan base and supporters, not functioning as a puppet of the administration, I must resign from the board, effective immediately. I will continue to send recaps and news of team related events, but I will be doing so as a private citizen, a former player, and always, a fervent supporter of this team.

Wow. Not a pretty picture, is it? Call me naive if you will, but threatening litigation against VOLUNTEERS ... just wow. I'm speechless, and that takes some doing. And if BS35 is this heavy-handed with VOLUNTEERS, just imagine how he treats his dozens of minions - oops - "employees" ..

Again ... draw your own conclusions, folks.

As an alum of the U myself, I find this absolutely disgusting. The shameful stance that Scarano and other administrators is taking with regard first to Coach McCloskey and now to volunteers working hard to make things better is just shocking. And now he/they are diverting attention by rolling out a very ill-conceived stadium plan early...almost like an attention diversion. Embarrassing right now to be an alumnus of what used to be a great school with character (both physical and moral), charm and excellent academics. I can't wait to get the annual fund-raising call now.

Comment

Scarano will be coming after people who post on the USCHO forums next....after all, fans are "agents" of the University too, are we not???

AUUGHHH!!! I HAVE JUST BEEN TARGETED!!! I SHOULD NOT HAVE POSTED THIS!!!
      UNH

Comment

Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
        As an alum of the U myself, I find this absolutely disgusting. The shameful stance that Scarano and other administrators is taking with regard first to Coach McCloskey and now to volunteers working hard to make things better is just shocking. And now he/they are diverting attention by rolling out a very ill-conceived stadium plan early...almost like an attention diversion. Embarrassing right now to be an alumnus of what used to be a great school with character (both physical and moral), charm and excellent academics. I can't wait to get the annual fund-raising call now.

'Tis I who wrote such words of resignation. I send a weekly email to any UNH Women's Hockey fan who wants to be included, and have done so for years. I appreciate everyone who has reached out here in support of Coach Mac, but many of you are doing so as part of an anti-Scarano movement. I am taking a stand because I feel strongly that Coach Mac was wronged, but also in support of a team that maybe some of you haven't even seen play. I thank you for your support, but I also ask that you maybe spend a couple of hours of your time at the Whitt supporting a hockey team that could use some friendly faces in the crowd. It's $5.00 a ticket (adults), you can let your kids run free, safely, to play with WildE or Gnarlz, and the hockey is much better than you might think.

And you never know who you might be able to give the cold shoulder to between periods. It is someone's new favorite sport.
        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
          'Tis I who wrote such words of resignation. I send a weekly email to any UNH Women's Hockey fan who wants to be included, and have done so for years. I appreciate everyone who has reached out here in support of Coach Mac, but many of you are doing so as part of an anti-Scarano movement. I am taking a stand because I feel strongly that Coach Mac was wronged, but also in support of a team that maybe some of you haven't even seen play. I thank you for your support, but I also ask that you maybe spend a couple of hours of your time at the Whitt supporting a hockey team that could use some friendly faces in the crowd. It's $5.00 a ticket (adults), you can let your kids run free, safely, to play with WildE or Gnarlz, and the hockey is much better than you might think.

And you never know who you might be able to give the cold shoulder to between periods. It is someone's new favorite sport.
          I'm admittedly here to support Coach McCloskey's cause first and foremost, but I would agree that the quality of the women's hockey is pretty impressive. I've seen a few games over the years - less than 5 in the last 10 years - and it has always been entertaining, and if you have daughters (like we do) it's a strong message for them to see top-notch athletes playing at a very high level.

Please keep me on your e-mail list, DC78-82. Keep up the great work in support of the program ... on YOUR terms, as a free "agent".

P.S. - that is one VERY clever post.
          Last edited by Chuck Murray; 02-04-2014, 09:45 AM.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

So...I received an interesting email from UNH PD this afternoon, regarding an investigation and search for potential witnesses to the incident that happened vs Ohio State.

Things that make you go, hmmm......
            Last edited by freak; 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM.
            113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Re: Veteran Bellamy has eye on Olympic gold (Three parts)

Big weekend for the CATS! Need some points this weekend to have any opportunity
              to move into 4th and gain home ice for tourney. BU down a bit lately and they played
              the Terriers tough up at the Whitt so maybe today is the day for a breakout in scoring.
              Need some solid D and goaltending this weekend. CATS consistently outshooting their
              opponents since the break but have to start converting and making their own luck
              around the net.

GO CATS!

Comment

Are you kidding me!!! UNH is poised to finish in last place????? Hard to believe given the fact the team was doing so well prior to Christmas.

I can't help but think that the bulls--t of the last 2 months created by the University in firing the coach, refusal to communicate effectively with athletes, allowing an inmate or two (and their families) to run the asylum, police interviews, etc etc has set the program back beyond immediate repair! I am embarrassed for the program and for the many players that have given so much. Sure there are still games remaining but the damage has been done! Shame on those selfish few who spear-headed the program's demise!!!

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                  So...I received an interesting email from UNH PD this afternoon, regarding an investigation and search for potential witnesses to the incident that happened vs Ohio State.

Things that make you go, hmmm......
                  Just curious, how is it they know who to send an email to? Were you part of the initial "investigation" by UNH? Why is it escalating to a criminal investigation? This is getting more and more disturbing to me. I've written to Marty and Huddleston and neither has replied. No surprise. I have stopped attending the games (sorry girls. I support you, just not the institution anymore) and pulled all my yearly donations to UNH (over the past two ears). When I get the spring fund-raising appeals I usually spend about 10 minutes politely telling the young lady at the other end of the line why I am no longer contributing. I don't know if they pass the message along as I ask, but I'm going to educate someone along the way just how one alum views it.

People can't and shouldn't hide behind any curtains here. If not for McCloskey's public dissimenation of information everyone would have a very slanted view of the whole affair. It's tawdry and disgusting the way my school is acting. Shame on them! Once, not so long ago, this university did things the right way. We didn't always win athletic events, but we knew about sportsmanship and respect. We didn't go to the NCAAs year after year but when we had a special athlete or two, they were at least humble and grateful for their opportunity to be here (well, most of them anyways). Our professors were class acts and taught well beyond just the syllabus. They weren't changing scores of colleagues in the middle of the night and other such stupid things. And even though UNH was the brunt of jokes in some cases, we could still carry our heads high. Because we knew this was a very special place.

Now, we have parents of roommates seemingly pushing an agenda way beyond the incident. Is this the legacy we are to leave to our kids? Swear your head off, be disrespectful. Can't handle failure? Too bad! Swear some more. It's all about you anyways, right? It's okay. Be a jerk. Strip a man of his reputation and his livelihood, of his ability to provide for his family. It's okay. It's all about you anyways. F--- him. Your all of 20 years old. Your parents think you're a little princess. Can't handle adversity? Big deal. When you hit the "real world" you'll be able to scream "Assault!" and "Sexism!" and "Racism" and throw random and improbable acccusations at anyone you dislike. Instead of looking at a situation and thinking "How can I handle this? How do I make it better? How did I contribute to it? What is the ultiimate goal here? How do I better myself?" you can simply hide behind "I'm uncomfortable. I don't feel safe. You intimidate me. I deserve that raise because I have more self-esteem because my mommy told me I'm special!" ....btw, this is a non-gender rant. In my 60 years I've run across all kinds.

I'm sorry to vent, folks. It's Sunday morning and I'm watching exceptionalism on the tv (Olympics) and reading and seeing incredible stories about people young and old all over the world with great character; overcoming great odds for the glory of something much larger than themselves. This UNH deal just really ticked me off. And the shameful act of the player, the player's parents, her roommates and their parents and most especially Marty Scarano is truly disappointing. I saw him in the parking lot of a grocery store two or three weeks ago and tried to approach him for a brief chat. He moved away from me, almost literally running. Beyond silly. Beyond childish.

Okay. Just my two cents. Enjoy the Olympics everyone!

Comment

I would guess they got my email from the FOWH or season ticket holder rolls. I was not at the game in question, as I was up north with family, so that couldn't be how they got my contact info.
                    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

• Re: 2014 UNH Wildcats: Ending Strong and Starting Fresh

Note to Players: Girls if you are reading this then unfortunately you have been exposed to the negative comments posted earlier. Those of us that know you, your families, the coaches, and support staff around the hockey program want you to know how proud we are of all of you in how you have dealt with this adversity. We know you have all had varying emotions on the entire situation but we are so impressed with how you have held together as a team, had each other’s back, and stayed focused in the classroom and at the rink. As passionate and competitive as you are, we are amazed at how disciplined you have been in not openly addressing the distorted information in the public domain. We respect your knowledge of the facts and the sensitivity you have shown in allowing the appropriate authorities to address. We also appreciate the fact that you respect other people’s opinions and do not judge teammates or adults on hearsay and singular events.

We also understand how proud you are of your University and of being a WILDCAT. While others may think of you as being entitled or spoiled, we fully appreciate the huge effort it takes in this day and age to become a Divison I athlete. The sacrifices made for 15 yrs to get to this level and the continuing challenges in balancing school, athletics, and the full college experience set you apart from most of us. We know how much you appreciate the opportunity to be at UNH, and how proud you are to pull that jersey on each weekend and represent your school. You do that with passion on the ice and in the classroom as demonstrated by leading Hockey East in academic scholars.

Sometimes, the most informative lessons are “how not to do things” and unfortunately you have been exposed to several lessons inside the rink and now outside that will provide perspective on how to deal with adversity moving forward. As you can see, adding years does not automatically demonstrate stronger character or wisdom. In fact, in writing this we wonder if you aren’t the “real adults” in this whole issue. You haven’t crossed the line in attacking anyone, you haven’t quit or threatened to quit anything, you haven’t abandoned your teammates, and most importantly you have represented your University with integrity.

We are excited for this program moving forward and hope the issue at hand is dealt with swiftly so you can focus on your academics and hockey. Recruiting channels have opened up, you have a great coaching and support staff, and some truly great character/ hockey players are joining the program in the next two years. We are excited for those players to join a mature and caring group of teammates and a positive program environment. UNH will once again become a top tier destination as you build to the final four coming to Durham in 2016.

And finally, while some of the adults around you have failed you, assailed you, or pulled their support, you have demonstrated patience, acceptance, and objectivity. We are excited that you are the next generation of leaders. We can all learn from you in taking the “high road” and the lessons learned here will be well applied as you move out in to your careers. When you leave, you will represent your University with pride and dignity and make us all proud in your achievements. You are not alone. Adversity, surfaces in many places and others have traveled your path. They respect and appreciate your maturity through all of this.

Go CATS!!

Comment

Puckskillz...I had to do a lot of reading between the lines to figure out what you are saying here, but I think this is a very heartfelt and important message. My connection to the UNH women's program is tangential at best, but from stories that I have heard over the years I would have to agree that it is time for the program to focus on the future and on the young women that the program is meant to serve. Time to turn the page.

Comment

Puckskillz - you just proved my point.

Comment

Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
                            Puckskillz - you just proved my point.
                            +1
                            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Exhockeyguy....you've got it exactly right.....!!!! well done. Scarano AND Huddleston should be ashamed of themselves....They make me sick....

Comment

Thus ends a tough weekend for the 'Cats. Understandable given the plethora of distractions they had to endure during this week. Even winning out will not get them home ice for the opening round of Hockey East playoffs, so the goal for the remainder of the regular season needs to be working on the small things that have led them to defeat. From the weekend's games. and what I saw from the Maine web cast, they really need to take better care of the puck. There have been a lot of turnovers, particularly some dangerous passes through the high slot on the breakout, which resulted in several goals and multiple turnovers. On the other end of the ice, it seems like they have gotten less tenacious in front of the net, losing the rebound opportunities because the bodies aren't there. I've also noticed the D (over)-pinching at the blueline, which results in odd man rushes if they don't come up with the puck. This team has the tools to beat any team in the league, but they have to be playing hard and smart. Hard has been there, but smart, not always.

Four games left in the season - two against Vermont, and two against Northeastern, one of which is Senior Day.

Vermont is playing well, and has certainly elevated their game, plus they have, even in their darker years, given UNH trouble. UVM has a couple of quick forwards who are also goal scorers. They will have to be shut down. Douville has been playing well in net, but she is beatable. Bodies in front, get her moving.

Northeastern is going to be tough. Hot goalie, hot team, but UNH has found ways to shut them down in the past despite being the underdogs.

From here on out, UNH should focus on cleaning up the preventable mistakes, and keeping the game simple as they use the next two weeks to prepare for their playoff game. Regardless of who they draw, they have the capability of winning if they execute to their potential.

Throughout the distraction that has plagued this team, I would like to mention that Senior Captain, Nicole Gifford has led this team admirably through what may be as difficult a time as one can imagine. Kudos to her for putting team first, and leading her team by playing her game, and leaving her heart on the ice every day.
                                Last edited by DC78-82; 02-10-2014, 08:29 AM.
                                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                                X