2014 UNH Wildcats: Ending Strong and Starting Fresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 UNH Wildcats: Ending Strong and Starting Fresh

It’s great for everyone who’s tied to the UNH program to finally have some clarity and direction. These last six months will not go down as “best practice” for managing the entire situation but the program now has a head coach and everyone can move forward.

I am not sure of Coaches’ Wood and Jones future at UNH but would like to recognize and thank them for their leadership and behind the scenes commitment to the student athletes. They had a brief but transformative opportunity to instill the type of commitment and discipline this program will require to compete at the National level and this has energized the players. They both embody great character as well as empathy and accountability which will take both of them far in their coaching careers.

Congratulations to Coach Witt and welcome to UNH. Best wishes to her and her staff as they work to build a positive and competitive culture. I hope that even with all of the negativity in regards to the off-ice issues that alumni and fans can get behind this team and the new staff. It is a new beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
      No offense to Al Pike but he doesn't have any quotes from Witt, nor anything from her....recaps this thread pretty well but if she was named Monday don't you think in 48 hours you could get an interview or quote? Mention Jones and Woods and maybe get a quite from Scarano on their future? Wow....
      Did UNH even have a press conference? Has Marty come out of his cave yet?

Actually looks like they did....that is pretty inexcusable article by Pike.
      Last edited by The Zlax45; 04-23-2014, 07:11 PM. Reason: Researched...
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
        Hillary Witt is actually a very good coach. Not saying the process was great, and obviously a lot of people had sentimental reasons for wanting Wood or Jones to be hired...but if you can step back, be objective, and look at the hiring for what it is then it's a pretty solid choice.
        Don't get me wrong. She's a quality person. And a good coach. That said, I just don't feel as if the program is going to benefit as it should. UNH athletics in general is going through a lot of turmoil right now; this wasn't much of a search. I can't get excited over the process or the selection. Witt is one of many good coaches, but she's not a standout, she's not a rainmaker. I hope I'm wrong for the program's sake, but I don't think I am.

Just my two cents...

Comment

• Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
          Don't get me wrong. She's a quality person. And a good coach. That said, I just don't feel as if the program is going to benefit as it should. UNH athletics in general is going through a lot of turmoil right now; this wasn't much of a search. I can't get excited over the process or the selection. Witt is one of many good coaches, but she's not a standout, she's not a rainmaker. I hope I'm wrong for the program's sake, but I don't think I am.

Just my two cents...
          And who would have made you happy?

Comment

And who would have made you happy?
            Doesn't matter. The pick has been made.

Comment

Doesn't matter. The pick has been made.
              If youre going to complain about it then man up and tell us who you think should have been hired?

Comment

Sorry UNH fans .. no one (IMO) did their due diligence behind Witt leaving Yale (not on her own accord).

Hope she has learned from past mistakes - have to believe there were other candidates who communicate better.

Comment

Article in The New Hampshire by Max Sullivan, Sports Editor

Women's Hockey: UNH hires Hilary Witt as new women's head coach

The University of New Hampshire’s athletic department held a press conference Wednesday to announce the hire of new women’s hockey coach Hilary Witt, the team’s fourth head coach in its 37-year history.

“We are very excited to welcome Hilary to the UNH family,” UNH athletic director Marty Scarano said in a press release. “She is one of the brightest young coaches in the nation, has a fabulous understanding of the game and her recruiting ties will have an immediate impact on our program. Furthermore, Hilary is one of the all-time great players in women’s hockey and knows exactly what it takes to succeed at this level. We look forward to her leadership in rebuilding UNH into once again a national contender.”

Witt, a native of Canton, Mass., played hockey at Northeastern from 1997-2000 and the US national team, said not only was she excited to be working again in Hockey East, but also that she had been set on chasing the job in Durham this year.

“I wanted the job,” Witt said. “I didn’t come up here to interview just to have a new job. I came here because I wanted this job … because of the history and because I feel like it has the bones to be fantastic every year.”

Witt has 14 years coaching experience, including as an assistant coach and team scout for USA Hockey. She became head coach of the Yale women’s hockey team after just one year as an assistant, followed by assistant coaching jobs with her alma mater and USA Hockey.

In 2003, Witt was named ECAC Coach of the Year. In just three seasons, she had taken a team with a 9-19-3 record and helped them win 16 games.

Witt cited her time at Yale when asked if she’d ever been faced with a challenge like the one handed to her with the Wildcats. UNH had a record of 9-23-2 this past year.

“I worked at Yale for nine years and took over a program that really struggled and we had more success there than they had ever had,” Witt said. “The great part of this program is that its only had a couple years where it’s kind of gone off-track a little bit.”

After the controversial departure of former head coach Brian McCloskey this past December, the UNH players are relieved that the team has finally found a coach to move forward with.

“I think we’ve been waiting for this day for a very long time,” junior forward Hannah Armstrong said. “We’re all in there celebrating in the dressing room right now. It’s a great, heavy burden lifted off of our shoulders.”
                  THINK PINK
                  BLEED BLUE

Comment

We are doomed to mediocrity. Wish I could be positive, but sorry, I can't.
                    Her record at Yale 96-126-23 as head coach. Her record as scout for USA (in gold medal games vs Canada -- 0-?? (a lot!) in the last 3 years we've beaten Canada only once when it mattered at national or u18 level.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
                      Her record at Yale 96-126-23 as head coach. Her record as scout for USA (in gold medal games vs Canada -- 0-?? (a lot!) in the last 3 years we've beaten Canada only once when it mattered at national or u18 level.
                      The one aspect that is really relevant to this discussion is the Yale piece...and her teams at Yale have been far and away the most competitive teams they've had. The record may not blow you away, but that is a hard, hard place to win (IMO, the toughest of the Ivy gigs) and she did it a lot more than the team she inherited had, and a lot more than the teams they've had since.

Comment

The one aspect that is really relevant to this discussion is the Yale piece...and her teams at Yale have been far and away the most competitive teams they've had. The record may not blow you away, but that is a hard, hard place to win (IMO, the toughest of the Ivy gigs) and she did it a lot more than the team she inherited had, and a lot more than the teams they've had since.
                        Really? That's an incredibly generous comment. In Marchetti's last season at Yale, their record was 9-19-3. The next season under Witt, their record was 9-20-2. Seven seasons later, in her last season, Yale's record was 10-16-3. The following season under Flygh, their record was 9-17-3. In Flygh's most recent season, Yale's record was 9-16-7. Even a cursory look at those numbers doesn't support that she was much better, (albeit not worse), than her colleagues.

In Witt's 9 seasons on the bench at Yale (8 as HC), her teams surpassed Yale's performance in this past season (.463) only twice, in 04-05 and 06-07 (.516 both times). But one should also take a closer look at the quality of her teams' wins under her tenure. Whereas virtually all D1 teams are now quite competitive, back in those days, teams like Cornell, Quinnipiac, Union, Vermont and Northeastern (which accounted for many of those wins) were complete cakewalks. Her records also benefited quite a bit from scheduling weak non-conference match ups, including 5 NC wins in 06-07. In contrast, it has certainly not helped Flygh's teams' records to have played its NC games against the likes of top-ranked teams like Minnesota, BC, BU, and Mercyhurst the past couple of years.

That said, while her career record of .439 as a head coach was not spectacular, as you mentioned there are severe recruiting constraints on Yale that do not exist at UNH, that may mitigate her potential results. Her record even under those conditions is most certainly an improvement on the .389 average record at UNH over the past 4 years.

I'd say in many ways Witt is a very reasonable, safe choice for UNH as coach. You definitely know what you are getting with her. She has extensive D1 coaching experience. She is not a polarizing figure in any way. She's not a screamer, nor prone to creating controversy.

While she is unlikely to dramatically improve team results in short order based on her track record, really, how many new coaches around the league have made dramatic program turnarounds anyway? Maybe the kind of stability she provides is something UNH could benefit the most from at this point--especially if Wood and/or Jones are kept on. I do believe she is smart enough to know that recruiting is certainly not her forte, and she will want to have staff in place for whom that is their strength. That may bode well for their retention. Rosenholtz's strength in that area as associate HC was certainly key to her recruiting success at Yale all those years. Without him, they would have fared far, far worse.

The best news of all for UNH players is that they have a new coach in place in April. So many schools leave these things hanging throughout the summer.
                        Last edited by Trillium; 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                          Seems obvious Ms Witt has a detailed resume, the team is excited to have her. Not just anybody gets the nod to be an Olympic coach. Best wishes to her and the team as they move ahead!
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Seems obvious Ms Witt has a detailed resume, the team is excited to have her. Not just anybody gets the nod to be an Olympic coach. Best wishes to her and the team as they move ahead!
                            I find that comment hilarious. On both sides of the border, national team coaching gigs are frequently given to coaches to whom those in the know find to be highly questionable at best. Coaching acumen doesn't generally seem to be the primary criteria. Some of the weakest regarded coaches have much national team experience. Politics (and often gender) typically play a huge part, and perhaps some of the "thinking" is that when you have the best players, it's hard for a coach to screw up anyway.

On the Canadian side, examples have included Mel Davidson, who "led" Cornell to repeated oblivion for many years, and Dan Church, who has never coached a winning team in Canadian college hockey. On the US side, both Jackie Barto and Digit Murphy, (like Hilary Witt), were ultimately relieved of college coaching responsibilities due to losing records.
                            Last edited by Trillium; 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                              I find that comment hilarious. On both sides of the border, national team coaching gigs are frequently given to coaches to whom those in the know find to be highly questionable at best. Coaching acumen doesn't generally seem to be the primary criteria. Some of the weakest regarded coaches have much national team experience. Politics (and often gender) typically play a huge part, and perhaps some of the "thinking" is that when you have the best players, it's hard for a coach to screw up anyway.

On the Canadian side, examples have included Mel Davidson, who "led" Cornell to repeated oblivion for many years, and Dan Church, who has never coached a winning team in Canadian college hockey. On the US side, both Jackie Barto and Digit Murphy, (like Hilary Witt), were ultimately relieved of college coaching responsibilities due to losing records.
                              I'm so glad you had a good laugh over my comment . Obviously you have a more detailed view of the big pic when it comes to coaching selection than I do ! Regardless I see her experience as an asset to a team that is in desperate need of stability. (No offense to Coaches Jones and Wood) And as an educator I can always learn of course ridicule normally isn't my forte...
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

You guys are killing me!! I was and am a fan of McCloskey. I like Wood and Jones too. I don't know Witt. What I do know is: 1) she has a resume/experience; 2) she has played at a high level and performed very well; 3) she coached non-scholarship athletes in a tough conference in a school with very high academic entry standards; 4) she wanted the job at UNH even given the present situation; 5) she is female which the school wanted; and 6) she is starting with a last place team that has lost some key members that can't sink any deeper.

The coach selection, like on ice officiating, can never please everyone but let's give her a chance to get her feet under her and more importantly get behind the athlete's that have been hung out to dry the last number of months. Good luck Coach Witt! It is going to take a while and there will be much more banter along the rough road ahead but let's hope for quick and positive developments in the coming months/years. Go Cats.

Comment

Working...
                                X