Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Also saw as part of those series of tweets, Chicago was a team looking at (them?) Saturday. That's a pretty deep, stacked franchise. Even harder to try going in and making an impact.

Hope that it ends up being a "could happen" as opposed to a "does happen." I, too, would much rather see him stick around at least 1 more year, or until he finishes his degree, and then take the plunge. But I'm also not looking several hundred thousand dollars in the face as a 22 year old.

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

This would be too bad. Matt is not ready and could use another year or two to improve his game. Bad decision on his part if this occurs.
      SLU '97

Comment

Here is the full tweet from Elliotte Friedman, "1) Some conversation tonight about Hamilton's Greg and Matt Carey, who both play at St. Lawrence. Greg's excellent college career is over... 2) he is free to sign an NHL deal as a free agent. But, a couple of teams believe Matt will go pro, too. There is a lot of interest... 3) with CHI taking a long look at him last weekend."
        SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
          We had quite a few really talented players in the mid 70's (Kevin Campbell, Scott Graham, Peter Blair) and some really good guys as individuals (Harry Aikens & Tom Faludi come to mind). But what always struck me when I rode on the team bus was that there was very little team chemistry, not much interaction between the players, not a ton of laughter or goofing around (Dickie Popiel and George Goulakos excepted in the early Leon years.) Maybe not surprising given the losing seasons. The big personality guys (Hoot Owl Harris) rarely dressed and even more rarely went on the road. Bernie had a headlock on recruiting in the maritime provinces but there were a lot of good recruits who just washed out in clouds of smoke and puddles of warm beer and never played much at all. The nadir was my class of '78, which had only two recruits, one flunked out and Pinky, who never really got a clear shot. The locker room looked like Chechnya after the Russian tanks rolled through and nobody thought there was anything abnormal about that. We are so much better off today, tough season notwithstanding.
          Would that be my friend David Harris, who is now a season ticket holder at Colgate. If so he hasen't changed much !
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
            Along those lines, perhaps the league wanted the 4 teams in LP that would best assure that 4 ECAC teams made the NCAA's - 2 "locks" and another 2 that would have the best chance to still be on the bubble (see Colgate, Cornell) if both lost in the semi's. and got a lot of PWR help. Given Feola's officiating Sat. at Colgate and Sunday at Cornell, I'm left wondering. What happened last night to CCT reminded me of BC's 2nd goal in Manchester in '07, except the whistle clearly blew with the puck still under Petizian's pads and in the crease and 1-2 seconds before BC jammed it in. Lengthy review, and they called it a BC goal - Guess the Ref's. intent that night was NOT to blow the whistle - exact opposite.

Nothing though, including '88 and last night, will "beat" what happened to Colgate in 2000 in Albany. Coach Vaughn asked for a review, it was denied, and replays clearly showed the 'Gate had scored in OT to "beat" Michigan, only to "lose" later in OT.
            Even the Michigan players told Gate players in the handshake line, Gate had scored. But, at the time there were no replay cameras I was told.
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              Also saw as part of those series of tweets, Chicago was a team looking at (them?) Saturday. That's a pretty deep, stacked franchise. Even harder to try going in and making an impact.

Hope that it ends up being a "could happen" as opposed to a "does happen." I, too, would much rather see him stick around at least 1 more year, or until he finishes his degree, and then take the plunge. But I'm also not looking several hundred thousand dollars in the face as a 22 year old.
              I have no clue what kind of money would get dangled in front of someone like that. A few hundred thousand dollars is only about equal to the cost of a college education these days so that would be a BAD EXCHANGE considering how much the degree is worth over a lifetime. I'm guessing these days the money would be have to be a lot higher than that to make it be a decision that merits jumping. I wonder what the two RPI players signed for???? That's probably posted somewhere but I don't have the time or inclination to go hunting for it.

Of course if we are chasing "dreams" (or a woman ) then all rational thought usually goes out the window!!!
              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                I have no clue what kind of money would get dangled in front of someone like that. A few hundred thousand dollars is only about equal to the cost of a college education these days so that would be a BAD EXCHANGE considering how much the degree is worth over a lifetime. I'm guessing these days the money would be have to be a lot higher than that to make it be a decision that merits jumping. I wonder what the two RPI players signed for???? That's probably posted somewhere but I don't have the time or inclination to go hunting for it.

Of course if we are chasing "dreams" (or a woman ) then all rational thought usually goes out the window!!!
                Both RPI players are already listed on CapGeek.com. Looks like both got the maximum amount of money offered for their particular slots; Haggerty's deal is longer though Zalewski, depending on the CBA rules, may have only qualified for a two-year contract.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                  Would that be my friend David Harris, who is now a season ticket holder at Colgate. If so he hasen't changed much !
                  Shabby...our Hoot Owl Harris was Ron P. Harris (1973-76)
                  Good Luck to Donny, staff and the Raiders this weekend!

Comment

Ryan Haggerty got a three year, two-way deal. If he only plays in the AHL he makes $70,000 per season. If he makes the NHL, it's $925,000 per season.

Link here: http://www.capgeek.com/player/3318
                    SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
                      Haggerty's deal is longer though Zalewski, depending on the CBA rules, may have only qualified for a two-year contract.
                      Correct, which is due to their age.
                      I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

• Originally posted by critsports View Post

I never understand this argument. Is he now prohibited from ever applying to college again? Take the few hundred thousand now and if hockey doesn't work out, use the money as your "scholarship" to finish your degree - he gets to have his cake and eat it, too. I say this as someone who values education extremely highly - in fact, I value it so highly that I think it's a great thing to do at ANY stage of life, not just when you are between 20 and 24.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                          Why would you be happy for him???? He is making a big mistake. Granted he is a talent and has potential, however, the number of players that will ultimately reach the NHL is miniscule and the odds of two of them doing it together, are probably more than one in several hundred million.
                          You know and others know that Matt has a lot of skills that need a lot of work yet. Another year or two at SLU working with the likes of Hurly and Carvy would benefit him greatly. His brother has a SLU degree to fall back on should the dream not come to fruition. Matt should/would benefit from the same. If it goes down....it is Matt's loss, not ours.

Said it before, will say it again. The odds of them playing together, at the same level are probably pretty slim. (unless we are talking about developing in the ECHL.) I also think (not sure why) but my instincts tell me packaging themselves would limit their options as opposed to enhancing them.

If this does go down. It will make a lackluster hockey season all the more dreary. It would also take away quite a bit of the optimism I had for next years team.
                          I'm with you here completely. Matt's production fell way off down the stretch and the last couple of weekends. If I were his parent, I'd have him read about Billy Beane's career from Moneyball. Who knows though, maybe he hasn't gone to class this semester and his GPA went from a 3.5 to a Buckeridge. And, if it is the Blackhawks, **** them and their raiding of our roster with Bollig and then this. Bollig has earned minutes in CHI, but he is there for a different reason.

I am not happy for them. It's a mistake to go now and with or without him this is going to be a good team. My bigger fear actually is when pro scouts come to see him, I have to think they like what they see in Bayreuther and Sweetman.

Look at the players to flow through SLU and how many of them didn't get a sniff of the NHL. Matt Carey is not as good as Pete Lappin, Burke Murphy, or a long list of other SLU and NCAA players. Life in the ECHL...no thanks. Cripes, even Brandon Pirri didn't really make it Chicago.

Or maybe he is as confused as we are of why this season did not go better and is thinking if you can't win with what we had this year, next year's going to be rough. Who knows, but I really believe he is making a mistake.
                          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            I never understand this argument. Is he now prohibited from ever applying to college again? Take the few hundred thousand now and if hockey doesn't work out, use the money as your "scholarship" to finish your degree - he gets to have his cake and eat it, too. I say this as someone who values education extremely highly - in fact, I value it so highly that I think it's a great thing to do at ANY stage of life, not just when you are between 20 and 24.
                            Valid point, and a good example of this approach is Tom Glavine. He decided he would only sign with the Braves if they offered him a signing bonus at least equal to the cost of 4 years at UMASS-Lowell, which had offered him a hockey scholarship. They offered him $80,000, he took it, and it worked out. Here's the other side of that though, that I think Mike was getting at:

The odds of Matt - or just about anyone for that matter - having a lengthy NHL career are very slim. How long does he spend chasing that goal? Even if he does end up with enough cash to pay for a college education when it's over, maybe all he really got out of it was a five(or more?)-year delay in starting his "real" career. That might be a six-figure opportunity cost. And on top of that, there's a chance that staying in school longer will actually increase his chances of getting to, and staying in, the NHL for long enough to make it pay in the long run.

Comment

Mike McMahon tweet about this.

Supposedly choosing amongst Northwest teams. Possible, but not definite that they sign to same team.

Greg reportedly to make decision today. Several teams interested. Source said Matt is deciding among 3 teams.

Edit: Bobby Mack just tweeted MIN is among "many" teams looking to sign BOTH. Well, then. I would trust him over McMahon, obviously.
                              Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 03-18-2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                                Valid point, and a good example of this approach is Tom Glavine. He decided he would only sign with the Braves if they offered him a signing bonus at least equal to the cost of 4 years at UMASS-Lowell, which had offered him a hockey scholarship. They offered him $80,000, he took it, and it worked out. Here's the other side of that though, that I think Mike was getting at:

The odds of Matt - or just about anyone for that matter - having a lengthy NHL career are very slim. How long does he spend chasing that goal? Even if he does end up with enough cash to pay for a college education when it's over, maybe all he really got out of it was a five(or more?)-year delay in starting his "real" career. That might be a six-figure opportunity cost. And on top of that, there's a chance that staying in school longer will actually increase his chances of getting to, and staying in, the NHL for long enough to make it pay in the long run.
                                But if he stayed in college and then tried for a hockey career that fizzled out, he would be in exactly the same position - age ~30 with a college degree and no experience just starting his "real" career, so there's really no relative opportunity cost. Additionally, if he tries hockey first, then when he goes back to college he can be 100% focused on school without the hockey distraction, so he'll probably build a better resume for his real career. Finally, the flip side is that if he delays jumping for 3 years, his potential NHL career might be shorter (due to age) which could be considered an opportunity cost of staying in college. Along with the possibly increasing your chances of sticking in the NHL by staying in college, there's also the risk of a career-ending injury while in college - many factors to consider.

I was (definitely) not fortunate enough to be blessed with the right combination of athletic and academic skills to ever have had to make this decision, so I've never been in his shoes, but it seems awfully presumptive for anyone to say that it is *definitely* a bad decision to take the bird in hand rather than hoping for a marginally higher chance of getting a better bird three years from now.
                                Last edited by LynahFan; 03-18-2014, 12:34 PM.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X