This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Watched Dallas Buyer's Club about a week ago...

Matthew McConaughey = Oscar

Jared Leto = Oscar

I wonder how they'll fare at the Golden Globes this evening?

DBC = Excellent film, though not nominated for GG.
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
      Watched Dallas Buyer's Club about a week ago...

Matthew McConaughey = Oscar

Jared Leto = Oscar

I wonder how they'll fare at the Golden Globes this evening?

DBC = Excellent film, though not nominated for GG.
      That is a movie that is definitely on my radar. I've really started to love MM in these smaller/indie movies, and am happy he's doing more of them. And Jared Leto has always been solid.

My woman had me watch Amelie yesterday. Meh. I don't know whether to like it or not like it. There are good reasons for either feeling. I had her watch House Of Flying Daggers, and she loved that (and it's one of my favorites of that genre).
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I had to stop by to say that Stand Up Guys is the most underrated movie since ever. I don't remember hearing anything about it really, but it's now free on Amazon Prime. The dialogue all throughout really hit the sweet spot for the cast, I had a bunch of LOL moments watching it which is pretty rare. But it's not comedy.
        Parts of this movie are great, and parts are just dull and boring. It is like the director/screenwriter couldnt decide the tone of the film and cut two versions and spliced them together. The funny parts seem almost out of place with the rest of the movie.

Did love the ending though
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The Wolf of Wall Street is good, but a bit too long. No surprise, it's Scorsese. I think Leo goes another year with no Oscar. He is good once again, but I don't think it is worthy. I was most impressed with Jonah Hill.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
            Scooby posted this back in August.

Just finished watching Blue Jasmine: "Cate Blanchett = Oscar!"

Fairly powerful film, I thought.

Last night I watched Hitchcock's Rebecca: Love Joan Fontaine (RIP 15 Dec. 2013).
            She won the Golden Globe last night. My prediction still may come true.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
              The Wolf of Wall Street is good, but a bit too long. No surprise, it's Scorsese. I think Leo goes another year with no Oscar. He is good once again, but I don't think it is worthy. I was most impressed with Jonah Hill.
              I didn't like Hill at all. I haven't read the book so I don't know much about the character, but I wasn't impressed, and usually I like him.

I agree it was too long, by probably an hour. That movie felt like Scorsese decided to just throw Goodfellas and the original Wallstreet, both of which I really liked, into the blender and mix them up.

I may have to read the book although I have always disliked buying books authored by people who have committed crimes and are now writing about them. But I guess the movie is the same deal, so.

Also, that movie is a lot dirtier than advertised. Our 19 year old almost went to that movie with my wife and I last night, but she decided to hang with friends. You take the graffic sex and nudity, and the F-bombs out of that movie and you cut it to 47 minutes.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                Also, that movie is a lot dirtier than advertised. Our 19 year old almost went to that movie with my wife and I last night, but she decided to hang with friends. You take the graffic sex and nudity, and the F-bombs out of that movie and you cut it to 47 minutes.
                Well, at 19, she's probably experiencing graphic sex, nudity and f-bombs, all at the same time, first hand. So its not like it would have scarred her.

It may have been awkward for you, though.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Well, at 19, she's probably experiencing graphic sex, nudity and f-bombs, all at the same time, first hand. So its not like it would have scarred her.

Never one to mince words...

Comment

Watching the last stand in bed on the iPhone last night.

Not entirely bad, Mookie enjoyed seeing Arnold again
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Saw Lone Survivor this weekend. I thought it was a good choice for the big screen...ton of action, some of it difficult to watch. Not really gory but enough injuries, brutal falls, gun shots and close ups of injuries to make people grab the arms of their chairs a few times.
                      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Watching the last stand in bed on the iPhone last night.

Not entirely bad, Mookie enjoyed seeing Arnold again
                        The Last Stand is a great horrible movie. Ah-nold knew what he was doing when he signed on for this.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

True Grit (original) on some movie channel (Comcast Guide simply says "Movie" for channel, 221 in Minnetonka MN area). Anyway, what a phenomenal movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            True Grit (original) on some movie channel (Comcast Guide simply says "Movie" for channel, 221 in Minnetonka MN area). Anyway, what a phenomenal movie.
                            The original is great...the remake was mind numbingly horrible!

Speaking of horrible...if you ever want to see a movie that actually makes World War 2 EVEN MORE DEPRESSING see the Book Thief. If you dont want to commit suicide from depression dont. I dont know who green lit that film, but they should never be allowed t make movies ever again.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Agreed. Wasn't it up for awards too?

Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Speaking of horrible...if you ever want to see a movie that actually makes World War 2 EVEN MORE DEPRESSING see the Book Thief. If you dont want to commit suicide from depression dont. I dont know who green lit that film, but they should never be allowed t make movies ever again.
                                I don't think the remake was horrible, but it wasn't as good as people made it out to be.

As for depressing movies, I still haven't seen "Leaving Las Vegas" because I just don't want to feel suicidal; so I doubt I'll watch The Book Thief.

Comment

Working...
                                X