This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

I had never heard of the X-Men until the first movie came out. Just sayin.

Comment

The arcade game was awesome back in the day!

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/...235-xmen_2.jpg
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        I had never heard of the X-Men until the first movie came out. Just sayin.
        I'm young enough that I recall the cartoons from when I was a kid, and then watching it while babysitting my nephew during high school. Products like Batman, X-men, Spider-man, Superman, and even Ironman, those shows created some pre-built audience prior to the movies being released. While not everyone is going to know the material, at least they had a base outside of the comic book audiences. The comic book movies that have flopped, those have mostly been based upon characters that were never brought to television audiences prior to the movie releases (they also happened to be low quality products). To that point, I've never even seen Ant-Man as a "guest" appearance on other Marvel comic book-based TV shows.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Can't lie, I thought Thor was going to really stuck. Loved it. My favorite character in the Avengers as well. His interaction with nearly everyone is great, but with the Hulk it truly rules.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            The arcade game was awesome back in the day!

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/...235-xmen_2.jpg
            Only Wolverine and Colossus were any good though. If those two were taken I'd wait it out even though everyone else playing kept asking you to join in as some other crappy character.

Comment

The wife and I saw American Hustle yesterday. It was... eh. Well-acted, but less than the sum of its parts, like if they set out to make an Argo rip-off and got a lot of good actors to sign on, but didn't really bother working out how put together an interesting plot with dramatic tension and characters we care about. The sight gag with Bradley Cooper in tiny rollers was fun, though, and I'm definitely calling my microwave the "science oven" from now on.
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

I saw the Hobbit tonight...here are my thoughts:

It starts off great, first half hour to 45 minutes go by pretty fast and it is ten times the movie the entire first flick was. Problem was, there was still two hours to go...

Enter the hour of nothingness that was the second part of the movie. Have you ever wanted to see a bunch of dwarves running and other people talking? Did you not get enough of that in the first movie? Sweet here ya go! Even stuff like elves killing orcs in mass quantities didnt make up for the Ambien like qualities of the second hour of the film. Much like part 1, they could have sliced part of this hour out and made the movie way better. (not to mention saved us all another ticket fee to see a third film)

Once the dwarves get to the mountain though and Gandalf gets to Dol Guldur the movie picks up again and you almost feel like you are watching the Lord of the Rings not the Hobbit 2: The Search For More Money! Smaug was amazing, the Necromancer was perfect and hey more elves killing orcs! Things are kicking butt until...

Worst ending EVER! Jesus Peter Jackson how about instead of making me watch 45 minutes of short people running you include that on the DVD extras and you give me the ending the movie should have had, which was the defeating of Smaug! Instead you build and build and build and then just cut the movie off at a ridiculously inappropriate point so everyone who sat in the theater walked out going "eh?". Seriously, it was audible in my theater, people seemed stunned they just cut the movie off, like they lost the last reel or something. Completely ruined the last part of the flick. This is what happens when you take a short story and make it a 9 hour movie you stretch out parts that have no business being stretched and then you have to find places to cut the story up where there is no purpose. Now the third movie is hampered with the defeating of Smaug and the Battle of the Seven Armies, plus I am sure another hour of dwarves running. (seriously they should be way less fat with all the ground they cover)

I give it a B-, the awesome parts are awesome, but the boring parts drag the movie down and the ending blew. It was better than Unexpected Journey, but that aint saying much. So far this trilogy has almost none of the magic of the Lord of the Rings and I blame the blatant cashgrab of making it a trilogy for that.

FYI before the ending...the movie was looking at a B+ because Smaug was so awesome...
                Last edited by Handyman; 12-24-2013, 03:24 AM.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  I saw the Hobbit tonight...here are my thoughts:

It starts off great, first half hour to 45 minutes go by pretty fast and it is ten times the movie the entire first flick was. Problem was, there was still two hours to go...

Enter the hour of nothingness that was the second part of the movie. Have you ever wanted to see a bunch of dwarves running and other people talking? Did you not get enough of that in the first movie? Sweet here ya go! Even stuff like elves killing orcs in mass quantities didnt make up for the Ambien like qualities of the second hour of the film. Much like part 1, they could have sliced part of this hour out and made the movie way better. (not to mention saved us all another ticket fee to see a third film)

Once the dwarves get to the mountain though and Gandalf gets to Dol Guldur the movie picks up again and you almost feel like you are watching the Lord of the Rings not the Hobbit 2: The Search For More Money! Smaug was amazing, the Necromancer was perfect and hey more elves killing orcs! Things are kicking butt until...

Worst ending EVER! Jesus Peter Jackson how about instead of making me watch 45 minutes of short people running you include that on the DVD extras and you give me the ending the movie should have had, which was the defeating of Smaug! Instead you build and build and build and then just cut the movie off at a ridiculously inappropriate point so everyone who sat in the theater walked out going "eh?". Seriously, it was audible in my theater, people seemed stunned they just cut the movie off, like they lost the last reel or something. Completely ruined the last part of the flick. This is what happens when you take a short story and make it a 9 hour movie you stretch out parts that have no business being stretched and then you have to find places to cut the story up where there is no purpose. Now the third movie is hampered with the defeating of Smaug and the Battle of the Seven Armies, plus I am sure another hour of dwarves running. (seriously they should be way less fat with all the ground they cover)

I give it a B-, the awesome parts are awesome, but the boring parts drag the movie down and the ending blew. It was better than Unexpected Journey, but that aint saying much. So far this trilogy has almost none of the magic of the Lord of the Rings and I blame the blatant cashgrab of making it a trilogy for that.

FYI before the ending...the movie was looking at a B+ because Smaug was so awesome...
                  The sad part is that based on what you're saying...they can make just as much money on making it a 4.5 hr trilogy as a 9 hr one, just need to do a better job of editing and trimming the fat.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Yeah this is very true. Also there is zero need to see these movies more than once. With the Lord of the Rings so much is going on it is a guarantee you missed something. With these movies the only way you missed something was if you fell asleep If they had cut the movies down to two that would be totally different.

And before Scooby or someone else starts talking about "The Unfinished Tales" or some other book...most people havent read those and dont care about them. We arent looking for those easter eggs because to us they do not exist.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Ah...

You guys know there's a Hobbit thread, right?

As far as "Easter Eggs" for super dorks (like me), they don't exist because PJ didn't include many (any?). Most of the extra **** is just made up. Which is why it sucks.

I tried to write a review - to post on that nerd site - and gave up after I had 2 full pages in Word and it wasn't close to being complete.

A "B-" in my mind is quite generous.

Comment

Watched Rise of the Guardians (for a 2nd time) last night with the family and it's pure magic.

Probably my favorite animated movie.

Comment

Cloud Atlas: The one word to describe that one is "uhhh...". Way too long, jumps around too much, and you were over half way through the movie before you could see how some of the stories were tying together.

Frozen was a bit better than I was expecting. Kristin Bell's character seems a lot like she is in real life with all the quirks. For some reason the one dramatic moment when it looks like all hope is lost before something magic happens to save everyone really had an impact in the theater I saw. Several kids were screaming. Even several hours later one of my kids brought it up like it was stuck in their mind.

Comment

Watched RED 2 on my tablet flying back from Paris on Monday. Enjoyed it as much as the original RED. Helen Mirren stole the show in the sequel.

Also watched Paranoia - a little formulaic but an enjoyable time-waster on an 8 hour flight.
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Blue Jasmine.

Cate Blanchett = Oscar.
                              Scooby posted this back in August.

Just finished watching Blue Jasmine: "Cate Blanchett = Oscar!"

Fairly powerful film, I thought.

Last night I watched Hitchcock's Rebecca: Love Joan Fontaine (RIP 15 Dec. 2013).
                              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Mud - I liked it a bit, but I thought it wasn't "dark" enough given the subject matter and wasn't crazy about the ending.

Animal Kingdom - Australian drama about a teenager who is forced to live with this two-bit crime family after his mother OD's and how he handles the situation once the cops are onto them. Very solid and recommend.

Comment

Working...
                                X