X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The Wolf Of Wall Street:

It's Goodfellas (structure) meets Catch Me If You Can (basic story) meets Wall Street (basic subject matter). And I loved it. Jonah Hill actually shined in this movie. He's VERY hit or miss for me. Leo was great, and Rob Reiner....friggin' awesome.
    Tell you what, I'm never eating at a Benihana again. I don't care who's birthday it is.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

The Grand Budapest Hotel may be the most Wes Anderson thing to ever Wes Anderson. Every movie he has done definitely has his signature on it but this one seems to be even more if you follow me. That said, it is very good. Good dialogue and acting of course and great cinematography and style. Ralph Fiennes was very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
        The Grand Budapest Hotel may be the most Wes Anderson thing to ever Wes Anderson. Every movie he has done definitely has his signature on it but this one seems to be even more if you follow me. That said, it is very good. Good dialogue and acting of course and great cinematography and style. Ralph Fiennes was very good.
        I saw the trailer, and said to myself: I have already seen this movie. 3 times or so, in fact. FTR, I was completely bored with The Darjeeling Unlimited.

Bottle Rocket was decent, Royal Tenenbaums was brilliant, Life Aquatic was passable.

I have zero interest in this new one.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I saw the trailer, and said to myself: I have already seen this movie. 3 times or so, in fact. FTR, I was completely bored with The Darjeeling Unlimited.
          It was funny seeing the trailer last fall right after SNL had the "Midnight Coterie of Sinister Intruders" spoof. It was hard to tell if it was real or not at first.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
            Saw it last weekend. I liked it (as in "it had its moments"), but I didn't think it was uproariously funny, which given that it's a "dramadey", I guess is to be expected. I thought the CGI scenes were a bit too obvious. Ralph Fiennes really ends up carrying the film.

*blah*blah*blah*blah*..."Ah eff it".

Comment

Did anyone else see Mud (starring The Shirtless One in a mostly shirted role)?

Mrs EoDS and I just watched it last night and I thought it was very good.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I have it at home to watch when I have the time... and remember to think about it. I've only heard good things about it, but they haven't felt over-hyped like with other movies.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Mud is really good, IMO. Matt McC does a fine job. IMO, as long as he sticks to these non-blockbuster movies, he's really friggin' good (Wolf Of Wall Street the exception to that: he was great in it).
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I got a kick out of seeing some underutilized and not terribly familiar actors (outside of McC, not many of them are household names, but almost all of them have had very memorable roles in other places). In particular, I was amused by the notion that Mud served as an audition tape for the role of Kendal Crowe.

One of the more amusing (and very meta) aspects of the film was Mud referring to his shirt as one of his most important weapons.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Yep, seen it. Excellent movie.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Saw Lawless yesterday. Now I'm one who would pretty much throw a bottle at the screen just having to look at Shia Lebeouf, but I'm becoming a huge Tom Hardy fan so I had to watch it. And he was terrific. Jason Clarke and Guy Pearce as well. Plus, screenplay by Nick Cave, and score by him and Warren Ellis, so I'm good.

And all you need to know of the greatness of Nick cave and Warren Ellis is right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey74pev8qHk
                        Last edited by rufus; 04-21-2014, 02:52 PM.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I didn't care for Lawless - thought it was cliche ridden and Guy Pearce played an over the top caricature.

Mud was fantastic.

Some of you forgot Moonrise Kingdom on your list of W.A. derivatives.

Comment

I liked Lawless, and I also hate Shia with a passion, although he did very well in this movie. Pearce was a bit over the top, though, I agree with that.

EODS: I knew Kendal looked familiar! Couldn't place him, and never thought to check IMDB.

Comment

The basic storyline was pretty generic and cliche,. but the screenplay was quite good, boosted by some good performances. I thought Shia was the weak link in the whole thing, and enjoyed Pearce's performance, over the top or no. But Tom Hardy was terrific. "Umm, err, what'yer doin'?
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                The Wolf Of Wall Street:

It's Goodfellas (structure) meets Catch Me If You Can (basic story) meets Wall Street (basic subject matter). And I loved it. Jonah Hill actually shined in this movie. He's VERY hit or miss for me. Leo was great, and Rob Reiner....friggin' awesome.
                                I thought the movie was long and completely overdone. The first half is brilliant and was loving all of it but then it draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaged on after that and just kept getting worse. I turned it off with a half hour to go and doubt I will every see the full thing.

I love Scorsese and he usually is brilliant at walking the line between too much and just perfect but this time he just goes on too far. The stupid scene after they take the Lemon was brutal. The scene could have lasted 10 seconds instead of the 5 minutes or so it droned on for and ultimately it had no real purpose except to show him being arrested for nothing and let go. Scorsese could have cut 45 minutes from the movie and probably won the Oscar...

Hill was fine at points, Leo was pretty great though he did nothing he hasnt done before and Reiner was funny. The rest of the cast was "eh" and honestly the story was all over the flipping place.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X