• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Movie Thread: New, Rented, Whatever....I don't care

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Shawshank, 20 years on...

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...iversary-story

Still remember leaving the theater and the wife and I saying that we liked it better than Gump.

What a year for movies... Shawshank, Gump and Pulp.
    Its really hard to see that movie on tv and not smile and watch til the end.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Conversely: good thing that Gone Girl has some jokes in it, otherwise there wouldn't be much for smiling in that one.

It... well... it goes places.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Planning on seeing Fury at the Ultra Screen with the recliners tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.

Comment

Still remember leaving the theater and the wife and I saying that we liked it better than Gump.

Um, you mistakenly left out Ace Ventura from that list.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Also dumb and dumber and the lion King.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Saw Fury last night on the ultra screen.

Gotta say that the battle scenes were intense on such a large screen and with their newer sound system.

Good war movie. Was interesting to see the war from a tank crew's perspective.

To me, Band of Brothers is the best ever WW2 depiction. If BOB is a 10, I'd give this a 7 to 8.

Both my wife and I came up with the same thought - it fit well with Band of Brothers and could be another vignette from that series.

Yes, I realize that BOB is a series and this is a movie, but I can no longer see WW2 movies (European theater) without comparing them to and fitting them into that "universe" or portrayal of the war.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Um, you mistakenly left out Ace Ventura from that list.
                Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Also dumb and dumber and the lion King.
                I'll give you The Lion King, but Jim Carrey doesn't hold a candle to any of the other three movies Gurt mentioned. He has one shtick in every movie he's been in, and it gets old and sophomoric very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  I'll give you The Lion King, but Jim Carrey doesn't hold a candle to any of the other three movies Gurt mentioned. He has one shtick in every movie he's been in, and it gets old and sophomoric very fast.

I was thinking that he was kidding, but Daniels was the good part in D & D anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

And Quiz Show, which was a fantastic flick in its own right. Saw it on tv a few months back, and it holds up really well.

That was an absolutely loaded field for best picture (4 weddings and a funeral was the 5th nominee). Any one of those four probably win most other years.

Comment

Yes, I realize that BOB is a series and this is a movie, but I can no longer see WW2 movies (European theater) without comparing them to and fitting them into that "universe" or portrayal of the war.
                      The whole reason BoB came about was because of Saving Private Ryan piquing the interests of both Tom Hanks and Spielberg. It's not inconceivable that Fury could launch another HBO series.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Hey, Carrey was brilliant in KickAss 2.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I thought he was surprisingly good in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but that wasn't his typical role.

Comment

I thought he was surprisingly good in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but that wasn't his typical role.
                            Jim Carrey puts in solid performances in a lot of his non-comedic roles, but people like his slapstick so much that it's all they remember about him. It's what makes him his money.

I also liked him in The Truman Show and The Majestic.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Jim Carrey puts in solid performances in a lot of his non-comedic roles, but people like his slapstick so much that it's all they remember about him. It's what makes him his money.

I also liked him in The Truman Show and The Majestic.
                              Seems like the classic example of a guy who is willing to cash a paycheck. When he's bad he's unbelievably, Rob Schneiderly, Adam Sandlerly bad. But then he does "Man on the Moon" and you think, "JFC, that was perfect!"

Closest I can really come to a comparison is Jerry Lewis. His bad stuff is legendary, but other than jokes about the French very few people remember that when he had the right vehicle he was balls to the wall brilliant.

In slightly related news: OMG, Jerry Lewis is still alive. Dean Martin died 20 years ago.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 10-21-2014, 04:18 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Seems like the classic example of a guy who is willing to cash a paycheck. When he's bad he's unbelievably, Rob Schneiderly, Adam Sandlerly bad. But then he does "Man on the Moon" and you think, "JFC, that was perfect!"

Closest I can really come to a comparison is Jerry Lewis.
                                Robin Williams would be another great example of a guy who could alternate between brilliance and dreck.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X