BouncyBall 2013/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BouncyBall 2013/2014

NCAA Tip-Off Marathon is currently up and running... Nothing really exciting yet... Looking forward to Michigan St./Kentucky tonight...

I figure I can resurrect this thread once we start talking brackets in March

Also hear there is some ****** named Lebron that plays bouncyball too
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Re: BouncyBall 2013/2014

MSU now #1. Great spot to be in but that was not a very enjoyable game to watch. I didn't think the handchecking rules would be that bad but it added an extra half hour to the game.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Only slightly off topic.

Apparently only about 3500 people took advantage of an offer from Kansas State University of free bacon to attend the home opener of the women's basketball team. This tells me one of two things. Either women's basketball is truly horrific, or free bacon is plentiful in the state of Kansas.
      Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
      2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
        Only slightly off topic.

Apparently only about 3500 people took advantage of an offer from Kansas State University of free bacon to attend the home opener of the women's basketball team. This tells me one of two things. Either women's basketball is truly horrific, or free bacon is plentiful in the state of Kansas.
        I think that was only for students. If so that's pretty impressive. The Izzone at MSU is only 1700, and then with the upperbowl students included this year (which is a record number) I think the total is somewhere around 3000.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          I think that was only for students. If so that's pretty impressive. The Izzone at MSU is only 1700, and then with the upperbowl students included this year (which is a record number) I think the total is somewhere around 3000.
          I know, but it's free bacon. They should have been hanging from the rafters, and from the video I saw the place looked more than half empty.

Anyways, sorry, I'm not trying to hijack your thread with superfluous posts.
          Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
          2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
            I know, but it's free bacon. They should have been hanging from the rafters, and from the video I saw the place looked more than half empty.

Anyways, sorry, I'm not trying to hijack your thread with superfluous posts.
            Bacon talk is always welcome

Women's basketball is something that even bacon can't save.... That's just fact...
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

MSU now #1. Great spot to be in but that was not a very enjoyable game to watch. I didn't think the handchecking rules would be that bad but it added an extra half hour to the game.
              You guys and Izzo are going to hate that.

It could really benefit Iowa this year, which should be interesting to see if the B1G keeps this going when we get to league play.
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

I believe it was just students.. And due to twitter they tripled their order because of the interactions on there.
                AF 99

Comment

I didn't think the handchecking rules would be that bad but it added an extra half hour to the game.
                  This.
                  Completely agree that the enhanced rules take away from the flow of a game. MSU fan here who will nonetheless say it may have benefited the older team more than UK.

Comment

I didn't think the handchecking rules would be that bad but it added an extra half hour to the game.
                    The theory is that, if they keep calling the new rules as written, they players will adjust soon enough and the disruptions to the flow of the game will fade over time.

I guess if you want body checks stick to ice hockey?
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Big Ten looks good this year. Really good.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        The theory is that, if they keep calling the new rules as written, they players will adjust soon enough and the disruptions to the flow of the game will fade over time.

I guess if you want body checks stick to ice hockey?
                        That is the theory. It'll be interesting to see how Big Ten play goes and if they continue to call it as they're supposed to. Imagine MSU vs. Wisconsin, Bo and Izzo, who love physical play, all over the refs.
                        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Big Ten looks good this year. Really good.
                          They should be the best conference yet again; they really need to win a title though to earn the general national perception. People who really know basketball know it's the best conference, but they've been killed in the tournament match ups they've been faced with.
                          AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                            That is the theory. It'll be interesting to see how Big Ten play goes and if they continue to call it as they're supposed to. Imagine MSU vs. Wisconsin, Bo and Izzo, who love physical play, all over the refs.
                            Resulting in more of this permanent look, natch
                            Last edited by owslachief; 11-13-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              Women's basketball is something that even bacon can't save....
                              I guess that depends quite a bit on the team! In some places, women's college basketball even gets more support than the men's team.

I was surprised when we first moved to Connecticut to find the women's college games broadcast on public television. I started watching and became hooked. They play the game like John Wooden's old UCLA teams played: great team defense, good ball movement, always striving to play their best without regard to the score. At times, against certain opponents, their defense reminded me of the '85 Bears, in that it was always a tossup to see whether the defense would score more points on steals and breakaways or whether the offense would score more. They play an entertaining style, with good players. If you like crisp execution on offense and good team help defense, then the UConn women are often worth watching. If you want dunks, meh. You won't get them.

Their coach even had a weekly talk show during the season.

When the contract with public television expired, there actually was a bidding war between them and SNY, which the latter won. The coach still has a weekly talk show, and the team also has a monthly "magazine" style show as well. For a commercial station to outbid public TV indicates that there is enough interest to advertisers (i.e. enough potential viewers) to make the contract worthwhile.

I've heard that in Tennessee, the women's team routinely would also draw more fans to games than the men's team did.

Overall, though, I'd tend to agree with you: outside of maybe a dozen or so elite teams, you just don't have the depth of talent nationally for a "typical" women's basketball game to be that interesting. The Women's NCAA tournament is a snooze until you get to the Sweet Sixteen or so. But then it can get pretty exciting from there to the Final Four.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                              X