Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Implementation Phase II - Love it or Lose it!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The PPACA Implementation Phase II - Love it or Lose it!

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
    I'm not that against this forced microchipping.

http://nationalreport.net/wyoming-ch...rfid-chipping/
    John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      From what I can tell-my social security COLA will be 1.5% this coming year. However, the increase in my medicare supplemental policy and my medicare part D drug coverage will add up to almost exactly that amount. That sounds pretty stagnant to me. It would not be so bad if all my other bills only went up the same 1.5%.
      I doubt many of the graphs include your SS as income, but there might be a chance that retiring baby boomers leaving the hi end of the middle class ranks would sufficiently impact any time-series analysis on income. But nobody would produce a graph of income over time and not control for something such as that. Nor would they omit the value of benefits over time, nor the change in incomes per household, nor any changes in volume of immigration.

Good thing is if you have a recession during a 10 year period, it won't impact the graph either.
      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
        I doubt many of the graphs include your SS as income, but there might be a chance that retiring baby boomers leaving the hi end of the middle class ranks would sufficiently impact any time-series analysis on income. But nobody would produce a graph of income over time and not control for something such as that. Nor would they omit the value of benefits over time, nor the change in incomes per household, nor any changes in volume of immigration.

Good thing is if you have a recession during a 10 year period, it won't impact the graph either.
        Interesting-I have no clue what it means, but still interesting. I was just pointing out that any COLA awarded me this year just evaporated into thin air.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Interesting-I have no clue what it means, but still interesting. I was just pointing out that any COLA awarded me this year just evaporated into thin air.
          Sorry Doc.

My response was to the stagnant reference...numbers relating to tens of millions of people can present all sorts of outward appearance...and sometimes people can take those numbers and put them in graphs and make conclusions that obfuscate the issue.

Your reference to payments to older Americans brought to mind the impact that large numbers of baby boomers retiring might have on average income in middle class Americans in a time series starting before the trend intensified but ending before it subsided.

If workers tend to earn more as they age, then an increase in retires would impact the top end of the income range...which could influence the average income for a population such as middle income Americans.

One would think an analysis produced by a person interested in the true change of income would account for this influence...and somebody likely has...but if you read the footnotes on most of these graphs and analyses you rarely see notation of factors such as average age, the value of health benefits and a host of other items that could influence the top line numbers.

Not to say wages have gone up, down or sideways...only that the typical graph produced on this subject is flawed.
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Pirate-Thanks-I was acting dense a bit on purpose. I just was putting the current COLA in perspective. There is absolutely no correlation between that number and our actual rise in cost of living expense-things we actually pay for without adding any luxury spending. Almost all the things I listed in a previous post-home owner insurance, flood insurance, wife's heath insurance, electric bill, phone bill, etc-increased between 10 and 20 fold more than the COLA granted.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Pirate-Thanks-I was acting dense a bit on purpose. I just was putting the current COLA in perspective. There is absolutely no correlation between that number and our actual rise in cost of living expense-things we actually pay for without adding any luxury spending. Almost all the things I listed in a previous post-home owner insurance, flood insurance, wife's heath insurance, electric bill, phone bill, etc-increased between 10 and 20 fold more than the COLA granted.
              Understood. The concept of a plan that is intended to provide for people but has little to no accomdation for real life expense is, well, very government-like.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                There's this...
                Yeah I wouldnt believe anything that comes out of that dude's mouth. I love how right now he is the "Great White Hope" for the GOP the guy couldnt win the General Election if he ran unopposed...
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Yeah I wouldnt believe anything that comes out of that dude's mouth. I love how right now he is the "Great White Hope" for the GOP the guy couldnt win the General Election if he ran unopposed...
                  First of all that quote sounds made-up to me. In seemingly unrelated news, Lara Logan will be doing a story on it this Sunday for 60 Minutes.

Next, I made a promise to our righty friends out here and its one I will keep. If Calgary Ted Cruz runs for Prez, he has my $25 donation. It'll be the best contribution I've ever made.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I guess when Bill Clinton says that PPACA needs to be revised, people start to listen.....

the Obama administration signaled it was open to legislation to fix the troubled rollout.

The move came as the administration faced mounting dissatisfaction from Democrats over the law's implementation.

New administration figures showed that only 26,794 people nationwide had enrolled in a private health plan through the balky online federal marketplace in its first month—far short of projections.

on Wednesday, officials suggested that President Barack Obama was open to a bill by Sen. Mary Landrieu (D., La.), that would require insurers to continue offering plans that were in existence this year, even if that meant reinstating ones that had been canceled because they didn't meet the health law's standards.

The magnitude of Democratic support for a legislative solution will become clearer on Friday, when the House is set to vote on a separate Republican plan to let insurance companies continue to offer policies that were canceled recently. That vote may push Mr. Obama to move before Friday to offer his own administrative remedy or more fully embrace Ms. Landrieu's bill.

The White House shift came as more Democrats in Congress, fearful of a voter backlash due to the law, have lost confidence in administration assurances that the problems could be solved without changing the legislation

At least five Democratic senators have backed Ms. Landrieu's bill, with the latest, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D., Ore.), joining on Wednesday. Support from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D., Calif.), which came on Tuesday, was considered significant because she is an influential senior lawmaker.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

106,185 - that's how many people signed up for coverage in the first month. Only 26,794 of those were able to do so through the federal website, a horrible ratio when it comes to leveraging technological efficiencies. I'd provide a link, but my browser crashes every time I try to get back into the politics section on CNN's site. Those numbers are not at all good if we're requiring some +30 million to sign up for care, and even more than that after people that had existing coverage find themselves now having to seek out new plans because their plans were canceled. And no, I don't think Congress will get a fix to the president prior to year's end.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Not really sure why, but I do find it kind of humorous that the mysterious website girl has now been discovered. She isn't even a citizen, but apparently from Columbia or somewhere, on permanent resident status who apparently traded that picture in exchange for something trivial, like a family portrait, and now finds her picture at the center of all of the complaining about the website.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          Not really sure why, but I do find it kind of humorous that the mysterious website girl has now been discovered. She isn't even a citizen, but apparently from Columbia or somewhere, on permanent resident status who apparently traded that picture in exchange for something trivial, like a family portrait, and now finds her picture at the center of all of the complaining about the website.
                          I don't understand why people are fixating on the woman's picture from the site. She's a woman, and she was paid (in lieu of cash, as we've now learned) for her photo. Big deal.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            106,185 - that's how many people signed up for coverage in the first month. Only 26,794 of those were able to do so through the federal website, a horrible ratio when it comes to leveraging technological efficiencies. I'd provide a link, but my browser crashes every time I try to get back into the politics section on CNN's site. Those numbers are not at all good if we're requiring some +30 million to sign up for care, and even more than that after people that had existing coverage find themselves now having to seek out new plans because their plans were canceled. And no, I don't think Congress will get a fix to the president prior to year's end.
                            Its actually not bad considering the web site doesn't work! If there really are 900K people who've gone through all the steps but just haven't chosen a plan yet, one has to think if they went through all that trouble to get that far they will most likely end up choosing a plan. Big thing now is getting the d@mn thing to work by end of November.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              106,185 - that's how many people signed up for coverage in the first month.
                              That's less than the official capacity of Beaver Stadium and the Big House.
                              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                                That's less than the official capacity of Beaver Stadium and the Big House.
                                But how many Rhode Islands or gallons of milk does it equal?

Comment

Working...
                                X