This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

So, one of the things brought up by the dictator was "MyRA". Essentially, it's something that already exists and is in attempt to re-brand it. Of course, these "MyRA" plans will probably only invest in government bonds. If these people wanted IRA investments, they would have already sought it out.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      So, one of the things brought up by the dictator was "MyRA". Essentially, it's something that already exists and is in attempt to re-brand it. Of course, these "MyRA" plans will probably only invest in government bonds. If these people wanted IRA investments, they would have already sought it out.
      Specifically, they'll look like Roth IRAs, based upon what was said last night. And they're going to get some very low return rates, given bond prices right now. They're essentially going to look like a money market savings account with tax shelter benefits.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Specifically, they'll look like Roth IRAs, based upon what was said last night. And they're going to get some very low return rates, given bond prices right now. They're essentially going to look like a money market savings account with tax shelter benefits.

Right, and they will probably violate laws imposed on private business, such as making it illegal for an employer to offer only an investment in the employer's company as part of a company-sponsored retirement plan (post-Enron adjustment); and against all advice to diversify one's retirement plan holdings.

"We won't tax the middle class, we'll merely 'borrow' from them instead." Yeah, right. Inflation is a stealth tax, folks. Here's an IOU, we'll pay you back in freshly-printed money that devalues your purchasing power. That's why coins have milled edges, to keep the government honest. and that's why we are no longer on a gold standard, to allow the government to inflate away its "debts."
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Right, and they will probably violate laws imposed on private business, such as making it illegal for an employer to offer only an investment in the employer's company as part of a company-sponsored retirement plan (post-Enron adjustment); and against all advice to diversify one's retirement plan holdings.

"We won't tax the middle class, we'll merely 'borrow' from them instead." Yeah, right. Inflation is a stealth tax, folks. Here's an IOU, we'll pay you back in freshly-printed money that devalues your purchasing power. That's why coins have milled edges, to keep the government honest. and that's why we are no longer on a gold standard, to allow the government to inflate away its "debts."
          According to one site, 401k plans have been shifted without notice to all government bonds for certain plans. This didn't happen in my case, but it's something worth checking. If anything, a reason to look at your plan is to know what you are investing in; always smart. http://www.silverdoctors.com/it-begi...to-treasuries/

Wasn't that law for investments in an employer's company fairly recent, though? Especially when you look at company matches on a 401k; some companies still require ESOP there.

Comment

I knew this sentiment was fairly common, but frankly I was surprised to see how widespread it is.

Last year's most remarkable polling number from Gallup said in December that 72% of Americans regard big government as the greatest threat to the U.S.
            That's nearly 3 out of 4. I guess you really DO have to be Candide not to be concerned.

that's your cue, Candide....pop in now to "reassure" us how it's all a mirage and everything truly is wonderful.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I knew this sentiment was fairly common, but frankly I was surprised to see how widespread it is.

That's nearly 3 out of 4. I guess you really DO have to be Candide not to be concerned.

that's your cue, Candide....pop in now to "reassure" us how it's all a mirage and everything truly is wonderful.
              Hey I like it Fishy. In fact, I'm hoping the GOP uses this Gallup poll to push for the repeal of Social Security and Medicare! Are you with me?
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

[white]that's your cue, Candide....pop in now to "reassure" us how it's all a mirage and everything truly is wonderful.[/white]

Originally posted by Candide View Post
                ...[Here I am, right on cue!]...
                sigh.

Comment

sigh.

Poor little fishy, you do realize when I quoted your message everything pops up, right, including your lame attempt at humor.

But, kindly tell us how your preferred candidate got crushed in the last Presidential election given? You do remember that, right? Because if your theory was correct in reality, shouldn't be be discussing President Romney right now.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

There's a big difference between big government that wants to spy on you, steal your guns, start unnecessary wars, and come between your wife's hoohah and her doctor, and big government that provides social security, Medicare, and unemployment benefits.

In other words, I dont see why this is in the economic thread rather than general politics one. (Well, I understand why the Fark Independent (tm) posted it here, but his reasoning is as partisan as ever)
                    Last edited by unofan; 01-30-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      There's a big difference between big government that wants to spy on you, steal your guns, start unnecessary wars, and come between your wife's hoohah and her doctor, and big government that provides social security, Medicare, and unemployment benefits.

In other words, I dont see why this is in the economic thread rather than general politics one. (Well, I understand why the Fark Independent (tm) posted it here, but his reasoning is as partisan as ever)
                      I always like calling out libertarians when they post inane stuff like this. Being against "big gubmint darnit" is an easy question in theory. The problem for the hasn't-been-laid-since-the-Reagan-administration crowd is that these same people like their own programs. Hence that being outvoted in 5 out of the last 6 Presidential elections...

Comment

1991 vs. 2014.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

More ridiculous and asinine "business policies"... http://www.infowars.com/girl-banned-...ut-of-control/

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

No there isn't. Sucker them in with one, and slap them with the other.

Comment

Res Ipsa Loquitor

More than one in six men ages 25 to 54, prime working years, don't have jobs—a total of 10.4 million. Some are looking for jobs; many aren't. Some had jobs that went overseas or were lost to technology. Some refuse to uproot for work because they are tied down by family needs or tethered to homes worth less than the mortgage. Some rely on government benefits. Others depend on working spouses.

Having so many men out of work is partly a symptom of a U.S. economy slow to recover from the worst recession in 75 years. It is also a chronic condition that shows how technology and globalization are transforming jobs faster than many workers can adapt, economists say.

The trend has been building for decades, according to government data. In the early 1970s, just 6% of American men ages 25 to 54 were without jobs. By late 2007, it was 13%. In 2009, during the worst of the recession, nearly 20% didn't have jobs.

Although the economy is improving and the unemployment rate is falling, 17% of working-age men weren't working in December. More than two-thirds said they weren't looking for work, so the government doesn't label them unemployed.

Comment

Looks like The Boner turtled up on the debt ceiling yet again:

http://swampland.time.com/2014/02/11...A+Swampland%29

You know, for all this ***kickin' conservatism we're always supposed to hear about, why is it always defeat after defeat? Could it be that conservative policies have no practical application in the real world?

Comment

Working...
                                X