X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Nothing is good in extreme. Huge government is bad, microscopic government is bad.
    Yes, I'm saying pretty much the same thing.

Both Democrats and Republicans are fine with significant government.
    Yes, there is "too much" federal government under either party. It's basically an internecine battle over who can hand out which government goodies to which constituencies. "Cronyism" is so deeply embedded on both sides of the aisle, it is like an infection or a cancer that is very difficult to eradicate. No matter which party is in charge of the federal fisc, the federal government is spending too much money relative to the states and to private individuals, either of which who could use it more responsibly and with greater accountability.

Conservative big government comes in...in public censorship in 'family friendly' everything, taking away a women's right to choose for herself
    That's pretty much a "straw person" argument at the level of the federal government. The Tenth Amendment reserves that decision to the states. There is a broad enough consensus these days that pretty much every reasonable person accepts a compromise that both recognizes a woman's right to choose before the fetus would be viable on its own, and also acknowledges that killing an infant that could live unassisted on its own, merely because it is still in the womb, is tantamount to murder.

Liberalism is about getting tools in the hands of its citizens in order to shape the US workforce into the world's best (primarily via education, workforce training and infrastructure). And workforce competitiveness is a greater challenge facing the country than business freedom by far.
    I have no quarrel with traditional liberalism, with its emphasis on individual liberty, freedom of conscience, and (mostly) free markets. A classic liberalism like Martin Luther King Jr., Thomas Jefferson, Milton Friedman, or even Bill Clinton from 1994 through 1998, is very appealing to me.

My quarrel is solely with the progressives, who are becoming more open in their desire for totalitarian control over most aspects of everyone's life. At least Thomas Hobbes provided a cogent, logical rational argument in favor of a totalitarian government, whether you agree with it or not. It makes sense and is coherent.

Progressives pretend that people in power won't use that power to their own personal advantage, and that kind of naivete is dangerous and destructive.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Big thing for me is one side is behind [sic] hypocritical.
      Bovine fecal matter. Progressives support totalitarian government on the grounds that they know better than anyone else, and are perfectly comfortable imposing their views on other people whether those others like it or not, under the guise that it is "good for them" if only they had sense enough to realize it.

What surprises me is why you are so comfortable with totalitarianism. Do you really believe that the people in power don't have as their first priority their own well-being?

Both sides believe they can do no wrong and the other side can do no right. That is utter nonsense and we all know it.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        Bovine fecal matter. Progressives support totalitarian government on the grounds that they know better than anyone else, and are perfectly comfortable imposing their views on other people whether those others like it or not, under the guise that it is "good for them" if only they had sense enough to realize it.

What surprises me is why you are so comfortable with totalitarianism. Do you really believe that the people in power don't have as their first priority their own well-being?

Both sides believe they can do no wrong and the other side can do no right. That is utter nonsense and we all know it.
        Totalitarianism. What a total crock of BS.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

This is an amusing take on things considering the whole basis of your ideology's theory into why it keeps losing elections is that people aren't smart enough to vote for the righties.

However, as any serious poster could tell you, Not liking the current govt does not equal living under totalitarianism. I want you to turn down the radio, re-read that line, and then think about it. See, in a true totalitarian state (China for example or the old Soviet Union) citizens had no say into who governs them. In democracy, they do. Barack Obama will be out of office come Jan of 2017 whether he likes that or not. Similarly the parties have a robust system to both nominate and get someone elected.

So, what we're left with once again is right wing whining over not being able to appeal to the electorate. The fault of that is not the political system, or the populace itself. The fault lies with you and your ilk, plain and simple. The sooner you come to grips with that, the better off you're going to be.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

This is an amusing take on things considering the whole basis of your ideology's theory into why it keeps losing elections is that people aren't smart enough to vote for the righties.
            I've never said any such thing. Obviously you are so wrapped up in stereotypes that you can't see what's actually in front of you. I have no affiliation with either political party. As far as I am concerned they are two different species of jackal, fighting over whicn one gets to feast more off the carcass of our once great nation.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Totalitarianism.
              What do you call it when the government mandates everything you can or cannot do?

Comment

What do you call it when the government mandates everything you can or cannot do?
                yeah, but they dont.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  yeah, but they dont.
                  Not now. But the point is it sure looks like that's the direction we're headed.

Comment

I've never said any such thing. Obviously you are so wrapped up in stereotypes that you can't see what's actually in front of you. I have no affiliation with either political party. As far as I am concerned they are two different species of jackal, fighting over whicn one gets to feast more off the carcass of our once great nation.
                    Fishy I appreciate your schtick but no one, and I mean no one, seriously believes you don't lean towards one of the two major political parties. Perhaps if you didn't download their talking points and post them as your own you'd be more convincing.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                      Not now. But the point is it sure looks like that's the direction we're headed.
                      What time do the black helicopters arrive?
                      Last edited by Rover; 11-08-2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Supposedly, if you drop a frog in boiling water, it will hop out immediately.

However, if you put a frog in lukewarm water, and then slowly increase the temperature to the boiling point, it will continue to sit in the pot the whole time until it cooks to death.

To mix metaphors, if you have a canary in a coal mine, and it keels over, why criticize the canary? the whole point of having it with you is to have early warning of impending danger!

Comment

Supposedly, if you drop a frog in boiling water, it will hop out immediately.

However, if you put a frog in lukewarm water, and then slowly increase the temperature to the boiling point, it will continue to sit in the pot the whole time until it cooks to death.

To mix metaphors, if you have a canary in a coal mine, and it keels over, why criticize the canary? the whole point of having it with you is to have early warning of impending danger!
                          So in this metaphor, are you the frog who is slowly burning alive in the derp or are you the idiot ignoring the canary?

Comment

What time do the black helicopters arrive?
                            Same thing, two different threads.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              I'd be willing to move to Scandinavia or pretty much any other western European country if I knew there was a similar job for me over there and barring any other logistical hurdles. I'm happy where I am, but I'd be equally happy there.
                              How do you know you'd be equally happy there? Have you ever lived there? Have you dealt with these "logistical hurdles" before or are you just assuming you can drop your current existence into any of these places? Because that's not how it works.

Unless you're Kepler and have a wife who gets a job at CERN.
                              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                                How do you know you'd be equally happy there? Have you ever lived there? Have you dealt with these "logistical hurdles" before or are you just assuming you can drop your current existence into any of these places? Because that's not how it works.

Unless you're Kepler and have a wife who gets a job at CERN.
                                I assume you meant me.

We were actually looking long and hard at a job offer my wife had in Sweden after CERN, but we would have been financially *much* worse off after taxes had we moved there. The only things that would have made it come close to making sense would have been 1) if we'd had kids (the childcare subsidies are nuts - 490 days of shared parental leave, $100 per month for subsidized childcare, etc) or 2) if we were definitely planning to remain in Sweden the rest of our careers and retire there (again, retiree benefits are great). Since we couldn't say for sure that we would be able to take advantage of either of those pay-outs, it didn't make any sense for us to move there and start paying-in. "Federal" income taxes there don't kick in until after about $90K in income (after which it's ~50%), but "state" income tax is ~25% (depending which state you live in) and that starts on your very first dollar earned, no exemptions.

Oh, and the salaries for engineers/scientists were roughly 66% of what I can command in the US, with cost of living roughly on par with LA or Boston. Between the lower salary and higher taxes, it's just no contest.
                                Last edited by LynahFan; 11-10-2013, 07:54 AM.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X