Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich Cadets '13-14 - A New Look Forward

Originally posted by AldenPartridge1819 View Post
    This might be the worst Norwich team since the very beginning of the McShane era. Losing on the road to NEC shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Hell, I hope they win it all like the rest of you do, but I just don't see it.
    This weekend was a huge disappointment for the team, fans, etc. No question about it. And I am sure that Alden only wishes the best going forward.

However, this is not the worse year in my or McShane's recent memory. Have we forgotten the '09 season that followed an '08 NCAA appearance against St Norberts? That next year ('08-'09) we posted a 13-8-4 record and were beaten by the lowest seeded team in the ECAC opening round. We never really got a sniff of frozen four play. Yet the next year ('09-'10) those fabulous freshmen showed up and took us through to an NCAA Championship. And they then carried us for three more years. 1997 was another disaster,e.g. 13-12-2 and just one game above .500.

We have a lot of hockey ahead before claiming that the year is a bust. Outplayed a few times? Yup, but no club we have faced has clubbed or embarrassed our squad with a blow out. Actually the best team we have seen this season may have been Plattsburgh and they only took us by two goals. But they did own that game and they seem like a real deal this year--regardless who they face. And while statistics are in the end meaningless--- there is not a single team that has outshot NU in our 21 game played so far this season. Actually, if you eliminate the two very weak teams that got less that ten SOG on NU--all the rest (19 teams) collectively have averaged only 19+ SOG verses 38 SOG for NU. We are certainly getting the shots but we just need some breaks.

As for the competition--I am seeing much better teams in the ECAC-E with one or two exceptions. Alden may be right about our weakness in goal--but we also are taking too many penalties. And while the statistics may not show it just seems that the penalties we take seem to be taken at the wrong time.

Naturally, we all want to see this team win--but I am also beginning to realize that this maybe one of those seasons where we are pausing--as McShane had to do a couple of times in his Norwich career to build some experience he lost through graduation. And while in the end this may only be rebuilding they have done it while showing some real grit and determination.

Hey, there is lots of hockey left because as my old '66 classmate; Cadet Senior Buck John "Bluto" Blutasky of Delta Company was fond of saying, "Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
      This weekend was a huge disappointment for the team, fans, etc. No question about it. And I am sure that Alden only wishes the best going forward.

However, this is not the worse year in my or McShane's recent memory. Have we forgotten the '09 season that followed an '08 NCAA appearance against St Norberts? That next year ('08-'09) we posted a 13-8-4 record and were beaten by the lowest seeded team in the ECAC opening round. We never really got a sniff of frozen four play. Yet the next year ('09-'10) those fabulous freshmen showed up and took us through to an NCAA Championship. And they then carried us for three more years. 1997 was another disaster,e.g. 13-12-2 and just one game above .500.

We have a lot of hockey ahead before claiming that the year is a bust. Outplayed a few times? Yup, but no club we have faced has clubbed or embarrassed our squad with a blow out. Actually the best team we have seen this season may have been Plattsburgh and they only took us by two goals. But they did own that game and they seem like a real deal this year--regardless who they face. And while statistics are in the end meaningless--- there is not a single team that has outshot NU in our 21 game played so far this season. Actually, if you eliminate the two very weak teams that got less that ten SOG on NU--all the rest (19 teams) collectively have averaged only 19+ SOG verses 38 SOG for NU. We are certainly getting the shots but we just need some breaks.

As for the competition--I am seeing much better teams in the ECAC-E with one or two exceptions. Alden may be right about our weakness in goal--but we also are taking too many penalties. And while the statistics may not show it just seems that the penalties we take seem to be taken at the wrong time.

Naturally, we all want to see this team win--but I am also beginning to realize that this maybe one of those seasons where we are pausing--as McShane had to do a couple of times in his Norwich career to build some experience he lost through graduation. And while in the end this may only be rebuilding they have done it while showing some real grit and determination.

Hey, there is lots of hockey left because as my old '66 classmate; Cadet Senior Buck John "Bluto" Blutasky of Delta Company was fond of saying, "Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
      Amen, I think you have summed it up as well as I have seen. Any other old pharts on this Board besides me? I' m talking the fabulous fifties!!!

NU56
      Old Member
      Maybe the Oldest

Comment

i'm not going to write this years team off ---i would certainly be more concerned if the team wasn't getting as many shots as they do- and for the most part they outplay and out chance most teams they play---a little more puck luck would certainly help.only four games left in the regular season--lets see how things unfold---

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
          Amen, I think you have summed it up as well as I have seen. Any other old pharts on this Board besides me? I' m talking the fabulous fifties!!!
          We're all old pharts on this board!

Comment

The 1950's !!! Wow, I thought my best days were behind me !! All kidding aside, I laugh when the NHL has these outdoor games and there's all this concern whether the players can handle it....I didn't play an indoor game until I was 12, and those were few and far between. No facemasks and we used $10 wooden sticks.....and our defensemen all had ankle guards !!!

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
              Well, not that old. I was still playing with my dolls and watching "Mr. Ed" then. LOL

Comment

• This was a frustrating weekend for sure ...95 shots and only four goals is frustrating. But for those of you who were not there ... I was ... you should know this team worked their tails off all night and got precious little reward for their effort.
                Our guys were visibly frustrated in the third period at St. Anselm, but a lot of that stemmed from St. A's intensity ... it was their Senior Day and they had eight seniors in the lineup ... if you weren't there you should have seen their celebration at the end of their win ... it was like they had won Stanley Cup! Well almost as good ... they had BEATEN NORWICH.

For what it is worth it bothers me to see certain posters appearing on this site whom we have not seen all winter ... posters trashing this team as "the worst Norwich team since the very beginning of the McShane era" ... where have you been all winter poster?

This team had a tough weekend ... my God they lost two in a row! They have slipped to a pathetic 14-5-2 on the season! Fourteen-Five and Two! Disgusting! What an embarrassment!
                Give me a bleeping break!

Let's get off our pathetic high horses, stop moaning about how much more enthusiasm there is at the club team's games, and get our butts to Castleton and Skidmore this weekend! Then do whatever it takes to make sure we PACK Kreitzberg for the most important home games in years when they host Babson and UMB on the 14th and 15th!

This is the time to be supporting and helping this young team ... not quitting on them! Go Wick!
                Last edited by PuckVoice; 02-03-2014, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Very well said.

NU can still win seaon title or league tourney or both

Never seen a celebration like that for a regular season game before Saturday

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                  This was a frustrating weekend for sure ...95 shots and only four goals is frustrating. But for those of you who were not there ... I was ... you should know this team worked their tails off all night and got precious little reward for their effort.
                  Our guys were visibly frustrated in the third period at St. Anselm, but a lot of that stemmed from St. A's intensity ... it was their Senior Day and they had eight seniors in the lineup ... if you weren't there you should have seen their celebration at the end of their win ... it was like they had won Stanley Cup! Well almost as good ... they had BEATEN NORWICH.

For what it is worth it bothers me to see certain posters appearing on this site whom we have not seen all winter ... posters trashing this team as "the worst Norwich team since the very beginning of the McShane era" ... where have you been all winter poster?

This team had a tough weekend ... my God they lost two in a row! They have slipped to a pathetic 14-5-2 on the season! Fourteen-Five and Two! Disgusting! What an embarrassment!
                  Give me a bleeping break!

Let's get off our pathetic high horses, stop moaning about how much more enthusiasm there is at the club team's games, and get our butts to Castleton and Skidmore this weekend! Then do whatever it takes to make sure we PACK Kreitzberg for the most important home games in years when they host Babson and UMB on the 14th and 15th!

This is the time to be supporting and helping this young team ... not quitting on them! Go Wick!
                  Steve Day(NU71)
                  Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                    T

Amen Puck Voice. Lots of hockey to play and we are backing a good horse.

On an other topic for just a moment:

In no way is this a reflection on Tanner but for the Castleton game will Puck Voice be sharing the broadcast with their guy from the Spartans? When you did this earlier in the season it was great to hear from someone who has been watching the Spartans all season. I imagine Puck Voice added some insights for Spartan fans as well. Again, Tanner is dong a great job---but it was a treat to hear you both on Friday from Rutland.

In any case, we are making the trip from Maine to Saratoga Springs to be another "seventh" man if the Cadets need us Go Cadets
                    Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                      Amen Puck Voice. Lots of hockey to play and we are backing a good horse.

On an other topic for just a moment:

In no way is this a reflection on Tanner but for the Castleton game will Puck Voice be sharing the broadcast with their guy from the Spartans? When you did this earlier in the season it was great to hear from someone who has been watching the Spartans all season. I imagine Puck Voice added some insights for Spartan fans as well. Again, Tanner is dong a great job---but it was a treat to hear you both on Friday from Rutland.

In any case, we are making the trip from Maine to Saratoga Springs to be another "seventh" man if the Cadets need us Go Cadets
                      That was a deal we worked with NSN because we were also hosting the Hockenbury Basketball Tournament that weekend so Tanner was tied up with PbP duties for that most of the weekend.

We thought it worked great as well and really enjoyed having Jack Healey come on our broadcast and share his in depth insight on Castleton while calling the game with George.

I'm not sure what Castleton has planned but it's their home game with NSN and their details to work out. We only control our home games.

The monkey wrench that gets thrown into that scenario making it very unlikely is that George has to call the game for WDEV on the radio so I don't see how we could work with Healey on NSN again since Healey would be doing the PbP for Castleton's broadcast.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

We asked the Castleton announcer to do color with George when the game was here, it is up to Castleton to decide who does the NSN broadcast.
                        After reading all these posts I am reflecting on how spoiled we have become. Going back to the beginning of hockey here at Norwich right up to the arrival of Coach McShane we won as many games as we lost, believe me I attended many of those games. Now we expect the team to win just about every game. Ten years ago some of the teams we played didn't even have a full time head coach and some had no assistant, that has all changed.
                        I agree with George come on out and support the team, make some noice, take a lesson from the fans of the club team.
                        Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Day View Post
                          Very well said.

NU can still win seaon title or league tourney or both

Never seen a celebration like that for a regular season game before Saturday
                          Yes NU, is a very good team in a very competitive league and CAN win both.
                          Saw the game Saturday and a couple of points Re: celebration.

1 it was senior day at ST.A's. Kids from Virginia, Michigan, Penn. , NJ don't have a chance to play in front of their parents too often .
                          2 This St.A's team has lost or tied 9 times when leading the game with less than five minutes to play, incl. the St.Mike's game the night before.
                          3 They were part of the team that lost to NU last year and were leading by 2 goals with 10 minutes to play and were leading with NU 4 minutes left this year.
                          4 They can't play for the conference or National title and had something to prove to themselves.
                          5 They are kids and when you win a big game, why not celebrate, afterall it is just a game and supposed to be fun.

NU is a good team, maybe not the best I have seen but the rest of the league is better top to bottom than I have ever seen.
                          Good luck the rest of the way. Norwich did not lose the game, St.A's won it. There is a difference.

Comment

Thanks Old Rook for the comments ... Jack Healey from the Castleton NSN Net will be doing the game on Friday night while I am over on the radio side for the Northfield Savings Bank WDEV Norwich Network ... not sure who will be working with Jack.
                            BTW, Jack and I do our talk show "The Really Big Sports Show" on NSN Radio every morning between nine and eleven if you ever want to check in.

Comment

Nostalgia time for those of you who were @ Norwich back in the early 60's
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6V...tu.be&t=13m45s
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I didn't get a chance to see much of Friday's game, and I lost track of time on Saturday. (I have been dealing with some health issues at the moment - it's complicated)

I, however, am seeing/hearing a lot of what I still have been saying all along. This is a young team that is still trying to figure out how to come back when they get thrown off their game and fall behind. it seems (at least reading the box score from the weekend, which is all I have to go on) that they haven't found the "horse" to ride in those situations. It's not that they aren't putting in a great effort, but they just haven't been able to step up. That's indicative of a young team. The good news is that they are not quitting - they just aren't climbing the hill. To take an example from an NHL game that I watched last night. Colorado was behind 1-0 for most of the game, Gigure was in in goal and and kept the game close until Roy pulled him with 2:30, and then with a marvelous effort after being shut down by NJ's defense for 58 min, the Avs scored one to tie it up - and they won in OT on a PPG after drawing a penalty at the end of regulation. it was a case of hard work and not quitting and having go to guys (Landescog, Parenteau, and McKinnon) who just gutted it out to make it happen. I mention this because CO is a very young team that would not have pulled it together that way at the beginning of the season.

It's a case that NU has the talent - they need to develop a little more confidence that they can make magic happen at the end of a game.
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X