Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich Cadets '13-14 - A New Look Forward

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    I was under the impression many of the Norwich players did ROTC and got scholarships from that. Is that not the case?
    Very very few. Almost all of the hockey players are civilian students, not in any way involved with ROTC.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• NAHL advantage

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      The teams out in the mid west are an exception due to the quality of hockey in Wi/Minn and the great New England players jumling to the vast number of DI schools.
      Check out the rosters of UWSP, UWEC, SNC and even Utica. Tons of kids from the NAHL and a precious few from the USHL, the best American Jr Hockey leagues. The Southern Ontario and Eastern US collegiate talent pool has become too diluted, FA is risky, and NA/USHL recruiting costs are considerably lower for the Western D3 schools.

IMHO, the D3 West, for this reason alone, will be dominant for years to come. D1 castoffs - which were formerly despised - are the cheapest means to get better talent for the cash-strapped recruiting budgets of Eastern D3 programs.

Comment

• Re: NAHL advantage

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
        Check out the rosters of UWSP, UWEC, SNC and even Utica. Tons of kids from the NAHL and a precious few from the USHL, the best American Jr Hockey leagues. The Southern Ontario and Eastern US collegiate talent pool has become too diluted, FA is risky, and NA/USHL recruiting costs are considerably lower for the Western D3 schools.

IMHO, the D3 West, for this reason alone, will be dominant for years to come. D1 castoffs - which were formerly despised - are the cheapest means to get better talent for the cash-strapped recruiting budgets of Eastern D3 programs.
        D1 transfers are not a sure thing ..@ oswego we have had our share,some very good some average at best, ya never know what will happen when these guys show up.......

Comment

How many Norwich fans are making it out to plattsburgh tonight?
          Plattsburgh State Hockey

Comment

• Re: NAHL advantage

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post

10 years or so ago there was one "premier" junior hockey league in the East - the Eastern Junior Hockey League (EJHL). Then there was the Metropolitan (Met) League as a "B" league and the Empire league a shade below the Met. There was a clear progression out East - start in the Met or Empire, and, if you were good enough, you got picked up by the EJHL. BTW, all the leagues were pay to play (USA Hockey Tier III). There were other junior leagues in the East (IJHL comes to mind), but they were of no consequence in the recruiting game. Coaches (D-I and primarily D-III) recruited out of the EJ. Colleges really did not look at the other leagues.

Then all heck broke loose. The Met decided to compete with the EJHL and formed the Atlantic Hockey League (AtJHL) while still keeping the Met. The AtJHL expanded into New England and in a *** for tat move the EJHL expanded into the Mid Atlantic. Suddenly everybody was drinking the "if you want to play college hockey, you have to play juniors" Kool Aid. More and more teams were added to Eastern junior hockey, to the point that the Washington, DC area, not exactly a great hotbed, had 6 Tier III junior teams, with each of them pounding their chest and saying "I have the best program!" It's a flippin disaster and it's not going to get any better any time soon.

Anyway out East now we have the US Premier Hockey League (USPHL) which has 5 (soon 6) divisions - Premier (the best of the EJ and best of the AtJHL), the Elite (rest of the EJ), Empire, plus an 18U and 16U group. Meanwhile the AtJHL renamed itself the Eastern Hockey League and kept the Met League.

So, if all the "college ready" players are not concentrated in one league, how is a coach getting to see the players play against the best? How are they going to evaluate talent where there are Div I players out there with players who should be considering ACHA Division III?

At least out West, you know your best players are in the USHL (primary D-I feeder), and the NAHL (about 50/50 between NCAA divisions). Then you go into Canada and know that the BCHL is really good, while the old OPJHL was diluted talent with the over proliferation of teams.

Guys, it's like wondering why your HS football team stinks. If the supporting youth programs are not good, the HS is going to struggle. I believe the solution is that the NCAA coaches are going to have to have a sit down with the USA Hockey Junior Council and tell them to get the flippin house in order. I DO think that the Junior Council is trying, but years of team owners running around without supervision is taking its toll on Eastern junior hockey.

And until then, we can keep sending the D-III hockey trophy West.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
              A civilian student with a Presidential Scholarship could be closer to $26,000...other grants take that down further...If they are in the Corps, there are other scholarships and grants available. Most SUNY schools have similar scholarship and merit based programs as well - safe to say few pay retail...
              Have a question. Recently heard that Norwich was either cutting back or eliminating their financial aid for Canadien hockey players.
              What is this all about, if true ? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkhockey1 View Post
                Have a question. Recently heard that Norwich was either cutting back or eliminating their financial aid for Canadien hockey players.
                What is this all about, if true ? Thanks
                2014-15 schedule is set. Basically the same schedule as this past year.

Open with Plymouth at Kreitzberg on Friday Oct. 31.

At Plattsburgh on a Tuesday in January and at Middlebury on the following Saturday.

PrimeLink invite team is Concordia Minn. and the NSB Tourney teams are Colby, Buffalo State and Neumann. NU will face Colby in 1st round.

Should the same schedule format continue, Norwich will have 16 home games in 2015-16.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Keith Aucoin recalled from the AHL by the Blues for today's game vs. Detroit.

Only time I can recall that I have mixed feelings watching Keith play in the NHL. If St. Louis loses, Colorado clinches the Central Division and second seed in the West.

Comment

Glad to hear that Keith is back playing on NHL ice again.
                    GO CADETS!
                    DIV 3 CHAMPIONS 2000, 2003, 2010

Comment

Tough times for the Norwich Cadet alums on the final weekend of the regular season:

4/11/14- Kyle Thomas (F) released by the Reading Royals (ECHL).
                      4/13/14- Colin Mulvey (F) released by the Cincinnati Cyclones (ECHL).
                      2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
                      2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
                      THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

Comment

Captain - #10 -Alec Thieda
                        Assistant - # 2 -Bryce Currier
                        Assistant - #17 -Nevin Lawler
                        Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by RAWardNU82 View Post
                          Glad to hear that Keith is back playing on NHL ice again.
                          Keith and his line looked really good, but the Blues as a whole are in free fall and have lots of injuries. Interesting to see if he gets on the playoff roster.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            Keith and his line looked really good, but the Blues as a whole are in free fall and have lots of injuries. Interesting to see if he gets on the playoff roster.
                            I missed the games. Who was he playing with?
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              I missed the games. Who was he playing with?
                              Cracknell and Rattie, line mates from the AHL. Keith is on the playoff roster but was a healthy scratch last night.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                                Cracknell and Rattie, line mates from the AHL. Keith is on the playoff roster but was a healthy scratch last night.
                                Chicago Wolves ‏@Chicago_Wolves Apr 17
                                Keith Aucoin, who has 11 goals and 29 assists this season, has been reassigned to the #ChicagoWolves.

Looks like according to the Wolves' twitter he's been sent back down.
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X