USCHO Women's Hockey Posters Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Women's Hockey Posters Poll

For all the chaos many of us had in the 5-8 range, no changes other than BU and QU flipping.

Week XIII Posters Poll

Code:
    Rank Votes  Team (1st place votes)  Range   Last week (change)
     1.  110    Minnesota (11)          1-1     1st (0)
     2.   99    Wisconsin               2-2     2nd (0)
     3.   85    Cornell                 3-5     3rd (0)
     4.   79    North Dakota            3-4     4th (0)
     5.   61.5  Harvard                 5-7     5th (0)
     6.   48.5  Clarkson                4-8     6th (0)
     7.   47    Boston College          6-8     7th (0)
     8.   42    Robert Morris           5-8     8th (0)
     9.   18.5  Quinnipiac              9-10.5  10th (+1)
    10.   10    Boston University       9-NR    9th (-1)

Also Receiving Votes:
           3    Mercyhurst              10-NR   ARV
           1    Northeastern            10-NR   NR
           0.5  Minnesota-Duluth        10.5-NR NR

Dropped Out:
                None
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      ...think they understand the US because they have been to Florida on vacation...
      Oh yeah that reminds me -- I'll be on vacation this week to (I kid you not) Florida, so the Poster's Poll will be going up next Friday afternoon.

I'll make sure to pick up some expert knowledge on Americanism while I'm down there. Will be sure to share upon my return.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        I'll be on vacation this week to (I kid you not) Florida.
        Nice....Too cold for ya in CT ?.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          Nice....Too cold for ya in CT ?.
          Okay here's the thing.

The town I live in has a really big lake. I want to go ice skating on this lake, but it doesn't often get cold enough for the ice to get to a safe thickness for me to skate.

The last month or so we've gotten a snowstorm followed by BITTER cold for several days. So instead of getting a skateable lake, I get a lake with half a foot of snow on it. IT'S REALLY LAME AND I'M REALLY FRUSTRATED.

It happened again just this week where we got 10 inches of snow Tuesday night, and last night it was -5 degrees (Fahrenheit!) and is supposed to be in the 20s, tops, for the next several days. But there's snow on my lake, so what the freaking hell, I can't skate on it.

So yeah now basically we're saying screw it and going to Disney World.

Comment

Okay here's the thing.

The town I live in has a really big lake. I want to go ice skating on this lake, but it doesn't often get cold enough for the ice to get to a safe thickness for me to skate.

The last month or so we've gotten a snowstorm followed by BITTER cold for several days. So instead of getting a skateable lake, I get a lake with half a foot of snow on it. IT'S REALLY LAME AND I'M REALLY FRUSTRATED.

It happened again just this week where we got 10 inches of snow Tuesday night, and last night it was -5 degrees (Fahrenheit!) and is supposed to be in the 20s, tops, for the next several days. But there's snow on my lake, so what the freaking hell, I can't skate on it.

So yeah now basically we're saying screw it and going to Disney World.
            http://youtu.be/GRMU8W5u0-U

Geeez...maybe read a book or something. Americans for chrissakes!
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              I've thought about shovelling, but the appeal of this giant lake to me is the ability to just go out and skate like 2 miles and not have to stop haha. There are a few islands on this lake I want to skate around.

I don't know I'm weird.
              Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 01-23-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I don't know I'm weird.
                That's okay. The rest of us know.

Comment

you obviously aren't Asian, African or European
                  There are many different and very diverse ethnic communities within each of these continents.

what I love about Canadians though, is their holier than thou attitude towards Americans & the US.
                  Ironic statement considering some of your past comments.

I'll leave you with this:

"In his paper, Goren measured the amount of cultural diversity in each of more than 180 countries. He used language and ethnicity measures to compute a cultural diversity score for each country that ranged from 0 to 1, with larger scores indicating more diversity and smaller values representing less.

The usual suspects lead the list of culturally diverse countries: Chad, Cameroon, Nigeria, Togo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. These and other African countries typically rank high on any diversity index because of their multitude of tribal groups and languages. The only western country to break into the top 20 most diverse is Canada. The United States ranks near the middle (Ed insert: meaning around 90th), slightly more diverse than Russia but slightly less diverse than Spain."

Comment

Up here we would break out the shovels, clear the ice, flood it and skate. Part of the mystique of outdoor Ice is the time it takes to prep. And by golly, I spend countless hours over the years keeping up an outdoor rink for kids to enjoy it.

Ed Note: I was out last night in -25C weather for two hours flooding a rink.
                    Last edited by OnMAA; 01-23-2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

So your answer is to go to Florida ......Drive a few hours north and there are plenty of outdoor skating options. Not too far from here they have an 8K (5 mile) long outdoor skating surface on a Canal, with Beaver tail Huts about every mile or so for refreshments.

BTW....I'll be driving by your neck of the woods tomorrow on the way down the 91 to Ingalls for the White Out game.
                      Last edited by OnMAA; 01-23-2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                        Suggest we refrain from casting first stones when it comes to ethnic nomenclature, because what's customary in one locale is not necessarily customary universally. For example, "First Nations" north of the border versus "Native Americans" south of the border or "Indians" in Santa Fe (yes, the elected leaders of the local pueblos have informed the staff of New Mexico's ethnological museums that they prefer the locally traditional word to the newer term). Because I live where I live, I have some vague notion that the once simply descriptive word "Eskimo" is now considered derogatory, but since I live where I live, I would have no idea, frankly, if a person of Yupik (as opposed to Inupiat) ancestry would be offended by being called an Inuit, or what the Canadian constitution has to say on the subject of the term Inuit. Or how many of us Yanks would know whether a Canadian Anglo-Meti (as opposed to a francophone Meti) would be hurt by being referred to as "countryborn" or by the American term "of mixed ancestry" which might sound suspiciously like the derogatory 19thC term "mixed bloods?"

So yes, I suggest we all refrain from casting first stones when it comes to ethnic nomenclature because it may simply reflect our own parochial assumption that what is considered respectful or derogatory here is necessarily so perceived elsewhere.

um, you mean like the idiots here in the U.S. who go to Canaduh, and see a black person...and call them an "African-American"....oh, I just love it when the P.C. dunderheads get all twisted in their undies....and as far as the 'Oriental' excuse...not buying it....That name was peachy-keen here in the States too for 100 years...but no more. We must all go to re-education camps and learn the way of the P.C. or else be forever castigated.... Get with the times you racists!

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                          Suggest we refrain from casting first stones when it comes to ethnic nomenclature, because what's customary in one locale is not necessarily customary universally. For example, "First Nations" north of the border versus "Native Americans" south of the border or "Indians" in Santa Fe (yes, the elected leaders of the local pueblos have informed the staff of New Mexico's ethnological museums that they prefer the locally traditional word to the newer term). Because I live where I live, I have some vague notion that the once simply descriptive word "Eskimo" is now considered derogatory, but since I live where I live, I would have no idea, frankly, if a person of Yupik (as opposed to Inupiat) ancestry would be offended by being called an Inuit, or what the Canadian constitution has to say on the subject of the term Inuit. Or how many of us Yanks would know whether a Canadian Anglo-Meti (as opposed to a francophone Meti) would be hurt by being referred to as "countryborn" or by the American term "of mixed ancestry" which might sound suspiciously like the derogatory 19thC term "mixed bloods?"

So yes, I suggest we all refrain from casting first stones when it comes to ethnic nomenclature because it may simply reflect our own parochial assumption that what is considered respectful or derogatory here is necessarily so perceived elsewhere.
                          about 150-200 words too long......to paraphrase above.......kids be nice or there is no pudding.

Comment

So your answer is to go to Florida
                            I hear tell rumors that there was hockey in Florida in the 'Beforetime,' in the 'Long Long Ago,' known as '2012.' We're packing up and heading down to seek this great mystery...

Comment

I hear tell rumors that there was hockey in Florida in the 'Beforetime,' in the 'Long Long Ago,' known as '2012.' We're packing up and heading down to seek this great mystery...
                              Actually, my favorite NHL team is playing in Florida tonight.

Comment

I'll leave you with this:
                                no, you won't be leaving me

you keep telling people to ignore me
                                yet, you yourself cannot resist reading & responding

Comment

Working...
                                X