Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Women's Hockey Posters Poll

Originally posted by brookyone View Post

Probably don't recognize any problem with this statement either.
    Whoa, whoa, let it be known that I never meant to seriously mean that it was racist. I was making a joke. OnMAA didn't say anything racist. It was as if someone had said "it's the pot calling the kettle black" and me saying "THAT'S RACIST!"
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Not to disrupt this lively argument too much...

1) Minnesota
      2) Wisconsin
      3) Cornell
      4) North Dakota
      5) Harvard
      6) Boston College
      7) Clarkson
      8) Robert Morris
      9) Quinnipiac
      10) Northeastern

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Whoa, whoa, let it be known that I never meant to seriously mean that it was racist. I was making a joke. OnMAA didn't say anything racist. It was as if someone had said "it's the pot calling the kettle black" and me saying "THAT'S RACIST!"
        Yeah...that wasn't difficult to pick up on. So I don't think the cultural respect resume was required...with it's condescension somewhat typical of the source.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

So I don't think the cultural respect resume was required...with it's condescension somewhat typical of the source.
          I was making general comments. Maybe you should read some books on the subject to educate yourself on the subject of diversity from various nations and backgrounds, before lambasting. You'd be amazed at what you can learn. The books by Bennett are a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            I was making general comments. Maybe you should read some books on the subject to educate yourself on the subject of diversity from various nations and backgrounds, before lambasting. You'd be amazed at what you can learn. The books by Bennett are a good place to start.
            I know a little about the diversity and diversity of backgrounds that are, and have been your "average American" for a couple hundred years plus.

Are there any books that'll teach me how OnMAA became so much more respectful of cultural diversity than the average American? The boorish lot they are.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Are there any books that'll teach me how OnMAA became so much more respectful .... .
              Sorry to disappoint you, no such book, that would indeed be a boring read.

Comment

I'm about the furthest you can be from being racist. Quite the opposite. Have one daughter married to a person from Ukrainian and part Brazilian decent. She even switched religion as part of getting married in his faith rather than our faith. Have another daughter dating a person from Oriental descent. Fully endorse their relationships. Work day in, day out with people from various backgrounds, many first generation immigrants. As a person who immigrated to north America, the land of freedom, many moons ago, probably have more respect for the various cultures than your average American.

Hey Mr. Politically Correct Cannuck....Here's a tip for ya, so you don't get your #&* kicked when you speak in public...

Calling someone an "Oriental" is flat-out RACIST!! Please! The word is "Asian"[subject to change of course].

Comment

Let's all be a bit more charitable, eh?

To inject a bit of levity, here's a diversity-related question. One of our daughters was surprised to learn that she has the same first and last names (almost) as a children's Chinese-Canadian television cartoon character (I'm not making this up!).

Any guesses?

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                    Calling someone an "Oriental" is flat-out RACIST!! Please! The word is "Asian"[subject to change of course].
                    I'll be the first to admit that I might not be up to speed on some if the finer nuances of American lingo and when to use in what context. In the English language I learned, UK version, not US version, the term Oriental is a common term used to when referring to someone from the far east (China, Japan, Korea, Thailand etc). Asian is a generic term used for anyone from the Asian continent, and that would include folks from places like India.

Earlier in the day, was just trying to defend myself when some poster suggested TIC that a term I used was racist. Seems to me there is a whole posse of folks trying to attack me on some technicality. As we say here....Laisser Faire. Laisser Faire. Merci.
                    Last edited by OnMAA; 01-23-2014, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                      Let's all be a bit more charitable, eh?

To inject a bit of levity, here's a diversity-related question. One of our daughters was surprised to learn that she has the same first and last names (almost) as a children's Chinese-Canadian television cartoon character (I'm not making this up!).

Any guesses?
                      Sagwa Miao ?....

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../23/Sagwa2.jpg

Comment

Good try, but alas not that one

Comment

Suggest we refrain from casting first stones when it comes to ethnic nomenclature, because what's customary in one locale is not necessarily customary universally. For example, "First Nations" north of the border versus "Native Americans" south of the border or "Indians" in Santa Fe (yes, the elected leaders of the local pueblos have informed the staff of New Mexico's ethnological museums that they prefer the locally traditional word to the newer term). Because I live where I live, I have some vague notion that the once simply descriptive word "Eskimo" is now considered derogatory, but since I live where I live, I would have no idea, frankly, if a person of Yupik (as opposed to Inupiat) ancestry would be offended by being called an Inuit, or what the Canadian constitution has to say on the subject of the term Inuit. Or how many of us Yanks would know whether a Canadian Anglo-Meti (as opposed to a francophone Meti) would be hurt by being referred to as "countryborn" or by the American term "of mixed ancestry" which might sound suspiciously like the derogatory 19thC term "mixed bloods?"

So yes, I suggest we all refrain from casting first stones when it comes to ethnic nomenclature because it may simply reflect our own parochial assumption that what is considered respectful or derogatory here is necessarily so perceived elsewhere.

Comment

If this is where the conversation leads in a week with no mid-week games, I really dread the real off season.

ARM - perhaps if you and Candace could crank out 2 or 3 articles a day, there would be something more constructive for people to chew on in the off moments
                            Last edited by DC78-82; 01-23-2014, 08:15 AM.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

1) Minnesota
                              2) Wisconsin
                              3) Cornell
                              4) North Dakota
                              5) Harvard
                              6) Boston College
                              7) Clarkson
                              8) Robert Morris
                              9) Quinnipiac
                              10) Boston University

Comment

I'm about the furthest you can be from being racist. Quite the opposite. Have one daughter married to a person from Ukrainian and part Brazilian decent. She even switched religion as part of getting married in his faith rather than our faith. Have another daughter dating a person from Oriental descent. Fully endorse their relationships. Work day in, day out with people from various backgrounds, many first generation immigrants. As a person who immigrated to north America, the land of freedom, many moons ago, probably have more respect for the various cultures than your average American.
                                what nationality are you that you'd consider a Ukranian/Brazilian another race?
                                you obviously aren't Asian, African or European, and we can rule out North & South America

so which is it? Australia or Antarctica?

what I love about Canadians though, is their holier than thou attitude towards Americans & the US.

OK, I apologize to all the Canadians I live by, have gone to school with, and have worked with over the years who DON'T think that way
                                but they know better having lived, worked, or went to school in the US
                                rather than having their opinions of the US formed by what they see on TV
                                or think they understand the US because they have been to Florida on vacation (and consequently try to pass themselves off as an expert on the US to their Canadian friends)
                                or go across the border once a month to buy stuff they can'y get or have to pay a lot more for in Canada.
                                Last edited by pokechecker; 01-23-2014, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X