USCHO Women's Hockey Posters Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Women's Hockey Posters Poll

For the life of me I can't figure out why almost all of you are putting RMU below BC.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Teams are on the move. Who is hot and Who is NOT.

Clarkson is Hot, two impressive wins.

Harvard and Quinnipiac are NOT, each recording a surprising loss (To RPI and to Yale)

1 - Minnesota (1).....W, T.......Mystique now gone, but still no 1 by a good margin, as most teams below them also squandering points.
      2 - Wisconsin (2).....W, L........Split with UND, staying ahead of Cornell, but just barely.
      3 - Cornell (3).........T, W........Win and tie vs MU, edging them closer to the no 2 spot.
      4 - Clarkson (6).......W,W.......Two impressive wins over SLU, MOving on up past Harvard and UND.
      5 - UND (5)............W,L........Split with Wisco, staying where they are.
      6 - Quinnipiac (7).....W,L,W......Lost to ECAC top ten killer RPI, but their other two wins keep them just ahead of BC.
      7 - BC (9)..............W,T,W.......Great week against tough competition. On the move up.
      8 - Harvard (4)........W,L.........Loss to Yale, dropping 3 spots. See a down trend with a short bench starting to factor in.
      9 - BU (8)...............L,W........Loss to BC hurt them big time.
      10 - RMU (10).....................Not yet convinced they belong in the top 8.

MU and UMD the only teams knocking on the door, but both are well behind RMU at the moment.
      Last edited by OnMAA; 01-13-2014, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        For the life of me I can't figure out why almost all of you are putting RMU below BC.
        I'll give the reasoning for my thinking on this, and it has to do with the level of their opponents. Yes, they're on an 11-game unbeaten streak, but let's look at who they've played during it:

-- win vs. Mercyhurst (a quality win, but followed a loss to the Lakers the previous evening)
        -- sweep of Lindenwood (ho-hum)
        -- win and tie at Syracuse (good, but not surprising)
        -- win at Ohio State (OSU is in last place in the WCHA, despite the tie at Minnesota this past weekend)
        -- win vs. Maine (more ho-hum)
        -- sweep of RIT (again, good but not surprising)
        -- sweep of St. Lawrence (who had a 6-11-1 overall record going into those games)

RMU's only quality opposition (again, my opinion) has been Mercyhurst (the previously mentioned split) and BU (another split). And they had a season-opening loss to RPI. I just couldn't justify it moving them up in the rankings based on that strength-of-schedule.

Now, if the Colonials takes 3 or 4 points on the road at Quinny this weekend, we'll talk.
        Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
        Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
        Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
          I'll give the reasoning for my thinking on this, and it has to do with the level of their opponents. Yes, they're on an 11-game unbeaten streak, but let's look at who they've played during it:

-- win vs. Mercyhurst (a quality win, but followed a loss to the Lakers the previous evening)
          -- sweep of Lindenwood (ho-hum)
          -- win and tie at Syracuse (good, but not surprising)
          -- win at Ohio State (OSU is in last place in the WCHA, despite the tie at Minnesota this past weekend)
          -- win vs. Maine (more ho-hum)
          -- sweep of RIT (again, good but not surprising)
          -- sweep of St. Lawrence (who had a 6-11-1 overall record going into those games)

RMU's only quality opposition (again, my opinion) has been Mercyhurst (the previously mentioned split) and BU (another split). And they had a season-opening loss to RPI. I just couldn't justify it moving them up in the rankings based on that strength-of-schedule.

Now, if the Colonials takes 3 or 4 points on the road at Quinny this weekend, we'll talk.
          I hear ya. But when you compare it to BC's resume...

Comment

The unfaithful have more faith than the faithful.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
              The unfaithful have more faith than the faithful.
              And that includes USCHO!
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Rutter Math seems to agree with your sentiments.

Code:
                  	Team 	Rating 	Last Week
                1 	Minnesota 	2.42	1
                2 	Wisconsin 	1.78	2
                3 	North Dakota 	1.49	4
                4 	Cornell 	1.39	3
                5 	Harvard 	1.10	5
                6 	Boston Univ.	1.06	6
                7 	Clarkson 	0.95	7
                8 	Robert Morris 	0.90	8	
                9 	UMD	        0.772	10
                10 	Boston College 	0.764	9
                Surprising to see UMD ahead of both Quinnipiac AND BC in this model. In addition UND ahead of Cornell in this model.
                Last edited by OnMAA; 01-13-2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

1. Minnesota
                  2. Wisconsin
                  3. Cornell
                  4. Harvard
                  5. North Dakota
                  6. Clarkson
                  7. Quinnipiac
                  8. Boston College
                  9. Robert Morris
                  10. Boston University

Comment

22 hours to go. Where's my pokechecker index?

Comment

You're claiming it?

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        You're claiming it?
                        I think he is poking for it.....

Comment

Que Paul Allen, Vikings radio guy..."Noooooo!!!" Or more old school...John McEnroe...."You can not be serious!!"
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            Que Paul Allen, Vikings radio guy..."Noooooo!!!" Or more old school...John McEnroe...."You can not be serious!!"
                            Hey pokechecker might be the worst poster on the forum but I like his idea of averaging out different rankings to account for the differences between them.

Half hour left -- anyone else want to throw in a ranking?

Comment

Little bit of shakeup this week.

Week XII Posters Poll

Code:
                              Rank Votes  Team (1st place votes)  Range   Last week (change)
                               1.  110    Minnesota (11)          1-1     1st (0)
                               2.   96    Wisconsin               2-3     2nd (0)
                               3.   91    Cornell                 2-3     3rd (0)
                               4.   75    North Dakota            4-5     5th (+1)
                               5.   58    Harvard                 4-8     4th (-1)
                               6.   57    Clarkson                4-7     6th (0)
                               7.   41    Boston College          5-9     8th (+1)
                               8.   33    Robert Morris           6-10    10th (+2)
                               9.   24    Boston University       7-10    7th (-2)
                              10.   19    Quinnipiac              6-NR    9th (-1)

Also Receiving Votes:
                                     1    Mercyhurst              10-NR   NR

Dropped Out:
                                          None

Comment

Hey pokechecker might be the worst poster on the forum but I like his idea of averaging out different rankings to account for the differences between them.
                                The irony of that approach is that He/She has lots of opinions on various subjects and postings by others, but none of his/her own input on the rankings, other than doing some math to compile rankings of others. There is a message in there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X