No announcement yet.

St. Norbert 2013-14 - a new mountain to climb on the way back to the top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Norbert 2013-14 - a new mountain to climb on the way back to the top

Can someone smarter than me explain why there's been a goalie rotation?

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
      Got a feeling that we will see Jake the rest of the way, after that 3rd period collapse..
      SNC Men:
      Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
      NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
      SNC Women:
      O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
        32-0. What a nice number.
        Jinx....
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10Ā©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Ā© Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Jinx....
          Not really... I posted it before last night and SNC won... maybe I should have done it today!
          St. Norbert College Green Knights
          NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
          NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
          NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
          ---
          SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
            I think we all would like to know that! I think the 2 losses have shown who needs to be in goal and probably should have been in goal more then he has been so far.
            I would have thought Jake being the top ranked goalie each of the last 2 seasons would be enough to show who has earned the job. I don't understand why Kujava has earned as much time as he was given...

Comment

It's not unusual for Cogs to use a goaltender rotation in the first half of the season before settling on one guy to go with for the second half. You have to see what you've got with freshman goaltenders, especially ones who had success in the USHL. Look at SNC's #3 goaltender, senior Mike Martin. I think he saw the bulk of his total career playing time during his freshman season.

Also, I can only speculate that the relationship between Jake and Kujava is a good one. Kujava was Jake's backup for his final year of Junior hockey in the NAHL. If the two weren't friends, I think Kujava would've ended up elsewhere for his NCAA hockey.

But yeah, personally I thought we were going to see Jake both games this weekend.

Not the best way to end the first half of the season for SNC. But who knows, maybe this will light a fire under them that will be essential for the tough second half to follow. Their first three NC games of the second half will tell us a lot...

Comment

There's all of that, and then unless you're at practice, you really don't get a good feel of what goes on there, for the most part. Is the guy doing really well in practice, but not showing it on the ice on game night? Is he improving? Is the starter nicked up a little bit?

There can be a lot of little things that people don't know about.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  There's all of that, and then unless you're at practice, you really don't get a good feel of what goes on there, for the most part. Is the guy doing really well in practice, but not showing it on the ice on game night? Is he improving? Is the starter nicked up a little bit?

There can be a lot of little things that people don't know about.
                  Good point.

What's your take on seeing so little of Scott Shackell this season for Adrian? He and Hamby seemed to be in a pretty steady rotation last season, and I thought Shackell played really well in the NCAA tourney game vs Oswego last March.

edit: just looked, Shackell has seen a little more playing time this season than I originally thought...
                  Last edited by altazo; 12-08-2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Shack was injured. Hamby has been very good in his absence, so no reason to rush him back.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                      It's not unusual for Cogs to use a goaltender rotation in the first half of the season before settling on one guy to go with for the second half. You have to see what you've got with freshman goaltenders, especially ones who had success in the USHL. Look at SNC's #3 goaltender, senior Mike Martin. I think he saw the bulk of his total career playing time during his freshman season.

Also, I can only speculate that the relationship between Jake and Kujava is a good one. Kujava was Jake's backup for his final year of Junior hockey in the NAHL. If the two weren't friends, I think Kujava would've ended up elsewhere for his NCAA hockey.

But yeah, personally I thought we were going to see Jake both games this weekend.

Not the best way to end the first half of the season for SNC. But who knows, maybe this will light a fire under them that will be essential for the tough second half to follow. Their first three NC games of the second half will tell us a lot...
                      I agree that if he does go with a rotation that it's in the first half and the second half Jake gets the starts. Jake's freshman year had quite a bit of rotation until he proved himself to be the #1 and we all know how that year ended! Last year was different in the first half Jake was in net for 11starts and Bosch had 2 starts. So doesn't make sense to me that you would have almost a 50/50 split this season. I know you need to see what you have in Kujava but I have a hard time believing that he's earned that much PT.

They were on good terms back in the NAHL days and that's still the case. Jakes a team player but if it was me it would make me wonder what's going on...

Comment

Outsiders takeā€¦the goaltending last night was certainly an issue (4 goals on 8 shots in the 3rd), but I think SNC had more balanced scoring at the start of the season. It seems like most of it is coming from one line lately. It seems the other 3 lines need to step it up and play like they did at the start.

In football, if a guy fumbles 4 times, he's probably not the one to give the pep talk. I can imagine Kujava was pretty quiet afterward. He will learn from that. We grow the most when things don't go our way. There are other guys (seniors) that may be vocal in the locker room that didn't lead on the ice. Those guys have to be the hardest working, most accountable of the bunch. I didn't see that last night.

Comment

Originally posted by lincoln07 View Post
                          Outsiders take…the goaltending last night was certainly an issue (4 goals on 8 shots in the 3rd), but I think SNC had more balanced scoring at the start of the season. It seems like most of it is coming from one line lately. It seems the other 3 lines need to step it up and play like they did at the start.

In football, if a guy fumbles 4 times, he's probably not the one to give the pep talk. I can imagine Kujava was pretty quiet afterward. He will learn from that. We grow the most when things don't go our way. There are other guys (seniors) that may be vocal in the locker room that didn't lead on the ice. Those guys have to be the hardest working, most accountable of the bunch. I didn't see that last night.
                          I am not going to defend the play of Kujava last night as I thought it was certainly sub par. However I am going to add that last nights debacle was the responsibilty of the entire team. SNC would not have been put into the position that they were in if they had any fire after the first period. Missed opportunities via poor PP and missed shots at the net combined with a defense that backed right into Kujava most of the second and certainly the last 5 minutes of the game were the reasons for the loss. Additionally, some very stupid behind the play penalties by some veteran players who seem to be frustrated also contributed. Finally and most importantly, Lawrence deserves kudos for not giving up and playing harder than SNC did last night. All in all a very bad night but hopefully a learning experience. SNC will hopefully understand that the NCHA is up for grabs by a number of very capable teams and that just showing up will not be good enough if they want to play long into 2014.
                          SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toe Blake's Brother View Post
                            I am not going to defend the play of Kujava last night as I thought it was certainly sub par. However I am going to add that last nights debacle was the responsibilty of the entire team. SNC would not have been put into the position that they were in if they had any fire after the first period. Missed opportunities via poor PP and missed shots at the net combined with a defense that backed right into Kujava most of the second and certainly the last 5 minutes of the game were the reasons for the loss. Additionally, some very stupid behind the play penalties by some veteran players who seem to be frustrated also contributed. Finally and most importantly, Lawrence deserves kudos for not giving up and playing harder than SNC did last night. All in all a very bad night but hopefully a learning experience. SNC will hopefully understand that the NCHA is up for grabs by a number of very capable teams and that just showing up will not be good enough if they want to play long into 2014.
                            I agree it was a lack of effort after the first by all. I think the boys will have a good month to think about it and refocus for the long 2nd half run. I think those stupid penalties were a result of the chippy efforts of the LU players. But I do agree kudos for them for continuing to dig and not giving up!

Lincol07, I think early in the year scoring came from a handful of players and as the year has gone on that has opened up to more players scoring BUT there are 2 or 3 that have recently cooled off that need to heat back up for the stretch run.
                            I agree, I am sure Kujava was quiet last night but this group will come together and hopefully make a long run into March!

Comment

Preview of this weekend's action vs River Falls and Stevens Pt.
                              http://www.snc.edu/athletics/teamfil...hockey14-8.pdf
                              Final non conf games, before 10 straight conf games to end the reg season....
                              SNC Men:
                              Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                              NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                              SNC Women:
                              O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

I was just wondering if any of the graduates from SNC last year are still playing?

Comment

Working...
                                X