St. Norbert 2013-14 - a new mountain to climb on the way back to the top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    Coghlin is from Summerland, BC and still has extensive contacts in the region. And, success certainly helps breed success at this point.
    Don't forget the great financial aid package $NC has.

Comment

• Re: St. Norbert 2013-14 - a new mountain to climb on the way back to the top

Originally posted by haulin oats View Post
      Don't forget the great financial aid package $NC has.
      It certainly allowed me to attend...
      St. Norbert College Green Knights
      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      ---
      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

The financial aid packages are widening and will allow teams like SNC and Adrian (to name a couple) to dominate until something is done to even out the playing field. Currently, some competitive D3 teams can beat the SUNYAC schools by 10K or more per year!! With that in mind, it's even more amazing that SUNYAC was arguably the best conference in D3 hockey. Go figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
          The financial aid packages are widening and will allow teams like SNC and Adrian (to name a couple) to dominate until something is done to even out the playing field. Currently, some competitive D3 teams can beat the SUNYAC schools by 10K or more per year!! With that in mind, it's even more amazing that SUNYAC was arguably the best conference in D3 hockey. Go figure.
          Thanks Coach Emery!

Comment

You're welcome lil' Nub !! SNC is like the big, fat bully kid stealing everybody's lunch money. Don't be surprised when the rest of us learn self-defense and Kung-Fu your arse !!!

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
              dont know much about the $$$ thing but it would make sense that a small private school could have a little more,throat clear,wiggle room ...but you still have to win the games.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                Bait only works when the fish bite. When you troll around and the fish wonder "what is that ridiculous looking thing?" it isn't going to catch anything.
                Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

I'm patient !!

Comment

I love how every year the winning team gets brought down about something. When UWEC won it all, the controversy was the Division I transfers (they all didn't transfer in the course of just one year like people make it sound BTW). Now people are focusing on the "financial aid" of the current Champions. How about instead we take a look at what separates one program from another and talk about the coaching? SNC's Head Coach is probably one of the best coaches in all of college hockey. To be able to identify, recruit / build, and consistently win at the level that this program has is incredible. I don't care if they're giving away a free education, you still need to be able to find a player with talent that also fits the academic profile of the institution, convince them to commit, and then coach / teach the team to win. As easy as it sounds I'm guessing the work that goes into the process isn't as easy as dialing a player up and asking them what they're up to next year and then just call the kids number and tell them their up next. Financials may be part of the story and if there is something going on, in today's age with technology and people's capability to uncover information it will be a matter of time before something will come up if there is anything going on. However, at the end of the day it's the Head Coach and its staff that has truly built this program into the power that it is and instead of focusing on the financial aid aspect, maybe start to look at your own program and ask why aren't they working harder to identify the players that can afford to go to your school. Out of the millions of options for players out there, SNC is still only limited to just 30 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                      Bait only works when the fish bite. When you troll around and the fish wonder "what is that ridiculous looking thing?" it isn't going to catch anything.
                      Some of us are jealous of the success that St. Norbert had recruiting top talent every year from the top junior leagues. Speaking of the NAHL I can not understand why more eastern teams don't go after players in that league. Most of the NAHL teams are in the mid-west but the Johnstown Tomahawks (PA) would appear close enough to give eastern teams a look at the talent. Maybe this occurs already. Maybe the fishing will improve for the D3 teams I follow: Castleton, Norwich, Middlebury, and Plattsburgh.
                      2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                      2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

I am not sure I even want to get involved here....

There is no question SNC has done an excellent job recruiting for a team, and preparing that team to execute at a very high level. But to insinuate they are somehow manipulating aid in some manner is ridiculous.

IMO, one of the biggest reasons more eastern teams don't have recruits from these western leagues is that recruiting budgets have been cut for many schools. Greater distances from schools equates to more cost, so most schools try to maximize their dollars by staying closer to home. When things were better, you would see more western Canadians on rosters (Norwich during the early 2000's for example). And as someone else cited, the eastern junior leagues have become somewhat watered down.

In any case, it shouldn't be a surprise that SNC has more westerners. It's closer and their coach certainly has contacts there.
                        Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                          I am not sure I even want to get involved here....

There is no question SNC has done an excellent job recruiting for a team, and preparing that team to execute at a very high level. But to insinuate they are somehow manipulating aid in some manner is ridiculous.

IMO, one of the biggest reasons more eastern teams don't have recruits from these western leagues is that recruiting budgets have been cut for many schools. Greater distances from schools equates to more cost, so most schools try to maximize their dollars by staying closer to home. When things were better, you would see more western Canadians on rosters (Norwich during the early 2000's for example). And as someone else cited, the eastern junior leagues have become somewhat watered down.

In any case, it shouldn't be a surprise that SNC has more westerners. It's closer and their coach certainly has contacts there.
                          To insinuate they are somehow manipulating aid is IMO, teasing - financial aid is just a tool in the tool box, but the biggest factor in St Norbert's (and Plattsburgh, Oswego, Norwich, etc) quality is coaching and
                          this
                          Last edited by norm1909; 03-25-2014, 09:24 AM.
                          Larry Normandin
                          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                            Some of us are jealous of the success that St. Norbert had recruiting top talent every year from the top junior leagues. Speaking of the NAHL I can not understand why more eastern teams don't go after players in that league. Most of the NAHL teams are in the mid-west but the Johnstown Tomahawks (PA) would appear close enough to give eastern teams a look at the talent. Maybe this occurs already. Maybe the fishing will improve for the D3 teams I follow: Castleton, Norwich, Middlebury, and Plattsburgh.
                            The NAHL has really emerged as a hotbed of hockey talent in recent years..not only for D3, but D1 also....need to recruit where the talent is...
                            SNC Men:
                            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                            SNC Women:
                            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                              To insinuate they are somehow manipulating aid is IMO, teasing - financial aid is just a tool in the tool box, but the biggest factor in St Norbert's (and Plattsburgh, Oswego, Norwich, etc) quality is coaching ans this.
                              100% agree, I get to many SNC practices and the coaches really have a very focused approach to preparing the team to play each year...they are very good at putting the forward lines together...experiment early in the season and than lock
                              into a firm lineup....good example this year was rookie forward Ross Pavek...he got a few early starts, but Coghlin told him to take a few pounds off during the semester break, and he came back lighter, with more speed. He became a regular on the 4th line to the end of the season.
                              SNC Men:
                              Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                              NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                              SNC Women:
                              O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

• Please Read & Learn

Originally posted by Blugold Hockey View Post
                                ... instead of focusing on the financial aid aspect, maybe start to look at your own program and ask why aren't they working harder to identify the players that can afford to go to your school. Out of the millions of options for players out there, SNC is still only limited to just 30 of them.
                                +1M

If more of us posted rational thoughts ala Blugold, rather than incriminating innuendo, this Forum would be semi-useful. Now it's like reaching in the toilet for a nickel.

Comment

Working...
                                X