Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame Hockey 2013-2014 Go East young men

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    Not really, no. Aside from the hazing by the refs, anyway. See ND's league season two years ago.
    Couple of those calls were pretty bad. I had no problem with the goalie interference though, which seemed to draw the most ire from the crowd. He was pushed in a little bit but made a point of getting his arms up into Witt. In general not a fan of the Millea/Bunyon duo. Whatever Costello said to get the 10-min misconduct really set one of them off, and whenever I see a ref that emphatic and ****ed you know you're not getting a call the rest of the way.

With Russo donezo, in my opinion we're missing probably the best slapper on the team and a darn good PP QB. Way too much forcing the play to the slot, which was clogged very efficiently by NU. We did get a few grade-A chances that Witt did well to stop, but they need to spread NU out or create traffic and let fly some point shots. Of course, the other problem is who has to play in the last D spot(s)...

As for Summerhays, three of the goals they got he had no help from the D, but you really have to give your team a chance and make a couple big saves. Didn't get a lot of chances only facing 7 shots...
    Last edited by candycanes99; 01-25-2014, 11:04 AM.
    Boston University 2009 Champs
    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
      Not really, no. Aside from the hazing by the refs, anyway. See ND's league season two years ago.
      Notre Dame got worked all game, nothing more nothing less. The only egregious call was the interference when the two players were wrestling for position in front of the net. Other than that, Northeastern just outplayed the Irish. I expect UND to come out guns blazing tonight though.
      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
        Notre Dame got worked all game, nothing more nothing less. The only egregious call was the interference when the two players were wrestling for position in front of the net. Other than that, Northeastern just outplayed the Irish. I expect UND to come out guns blazing tonight though.
        agree, a perfect example of a game where SOG's meant nothing. NU was never challenged

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
          Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          agree, a perfect example of a game where SOG's meant nothing. NU was never challenged
          Definitely the case. NU won a lot of races to loose pucks. It was even maybe the first ten minutes, then it wasn't close. I was fairly confident ND was not going to score when they came out flat again the second period.
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

It seems ND peaked early,other teams have come together and now outplay ND.

Comment

While I hadn't planned on becoming an Ice Road Warrior during my weekend trip to South Bend, I think I can speak for all of the other NU fans who made the trip by acknowledging the graciousness and courtesy of all of the Domers we met. Students, staff, alums--it didn't seem to matter--all extended every courtesy at every turn. In return, we made significant financial contributions to several Eddy Commons institutions.

Nice to get a break from the Commonwealth Ave. snot slinging.
              Last edited by Split-N; 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Oh if only this incarnation of the hockey team (especially the one in net) would show up every night. This was a nice game and a nice win against a team that had owned us. Of course, better reffing helped a bit. Congrats to Coach Jackson on #200 at ND. It was also nice of some of the players to play a "secret" 3x3 game against the Hockey Saves guys.

The season is winding down. Will it be as short as I fear? Or as long as I hope?
                "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

There'll be at least a couple Maine sweaters in attendance in a couple weeks. Any recommendations for first-time visitors? Any must-visit establishments?

It's gonna be a trip to see Jeff Jackson behind the other bench. Probably should cut myself off before I get nostalgic or something . . .
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                    As for restaurants, I always recommend Fiddler's Hearth (for great Irish stew) on Main, Nick's Patio (for breakfast) on Ironwood and Polito's (for NY style pizza) on Hickory. All are within a 5 minute drive from the rink/campus. Part of the Studebaker Museum is the Center for History. I would highly recommend a tour of Copshaholm (allow for 2 hours for that) if you like historic homes. It is the former home of one of the industrial bigwigs of South Bend's past and is one of only 5 "intact" historic homes in the US. A tour of campus is always nice, but you can just walk around yourself. Be sure to hit the Basilica and the Grotto and, if it is accessible on the weekends, the Administration Building (the Golden Dome). All 3 are right next to each other at the heart of campus.
                    Ah, found it. Disregard that last post, I guess.

Looking forward to completing my tour of hockey east rinks (I thought I'd done that years ago).
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Of course, better reffing helped a bit.
                      "Better reffing" like letting ND kill a penalty with 6 skaters on the ice? HE refs are bad, but for the most part, they're bad equally.

Well played by ND last night. Maybe we'll meet in the playoffs and NU will play like they did Friday night and ND will play like they did Saturday night and we'll have a great series.
                      2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                      2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Oh if only this incarnation of the hockey team (especially the one in net) would show up every night. This was a nice game and a nice win against a team that had owned us. Of course, better reffing helped a bit. Congrats to Coach Jackson on #200 at ND. It was also nice of some of the players to play a "secret" 3x3 game against the Hockey Saves guys.

The season is winding down. Will it be as short as I fear? Or as long as I hope?
                        Seriously? Letting UND get away with a blatant too many men which led to a goal which turned all momentum is better reffing? The refs sucked for both teams all weekend, it is what it is. UND just got off their asses Saturday, that's what helped.
                        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Refs usually show a buddy type favoritism to ND.At stop in play you always see the refs joking and talking to ND players.

Comment

Interesting perspective. During both games at the stoppages, the linesmen talked with the players, the refs talked with NU's coaches. Other than the greeting at the beginning of the game, they ignored ND's staff. BTW, NU twice had too many men this weekend that were not called. It does go both ways...
                            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                              There'll be at least a couple Maine sweaters in attendance in a couple weeks. Any recommendations for first-time visitors? Any must-visit establishments?
                              I'd strongly advise against staying downtown. Fiddler's Hearth is fine but other than that, downtown is boring and everything down there seems to close early. Instead, I'd recommend the Fairfield Inn directly across the street from the rink. You're also a block away from O'Rourke's (imagine that, an Irish pub) and Brothers, both of which earned the NU Ice Road Warriors Seal of Approval this weekend.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                                I'd strongly advise against staying downtown. Fiddler's Hearth is fine but other than that, downtown is boring and everything down there seems to close early.
                                The Oyster Bar and Corby's ought to be open to 3 am unless things have changed since I left. There also should be at least a couple more downtown establishments that are open late.
                                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Working...
                                X