Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-2017 Division I Commitments

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
    According to their twitter accounts, D Patti Marshall and F Alex Woken verbally committed to the University of Minnesota for 2016-17. They're both '98s who attend Shattuck St. Mary's.
    Marshall is just a 9th grader...getting younger and younger it seems.

http://ssmhockey.org/girls-u16-stats/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Marshall is just a 9th grader...getting younger and younger it seems.

http://ssmhockey.org/girls-u16-stats/
      I think that may be wrong. According to her Twitter page, she is in the class of 2016, which would make her a sophomore.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

16 Woken, Alex F 10 2/25/2998 Fargo, ND 26 14 13 27 18
        17 Marshall, Patricia D 9 5/11/1998 Theif River Falls, MN 27 8 7 15 10

2998 birthdate...whoa! Time travel recruiting.

Obviously some errors on that stats page
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          2998 birthdate...whoa! Time travel recruiting.
          I always knew Muzzy had superpowers!

Comment

Does the NCAA no longer restrict recruiters from approaching prospects prior to July 1st of the prospect's senior/graduating year as they did six or seven years ago?

If this continues to it's logical conclusion recruiters will have no option left other than to approach expectant mothers.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I think that may be wrong. According to her Twitter page, she is in the class of 2016, which would make her a sophomore.
              This appears to be correct. SSM's U16 Roster page lists her as a sophomore so, assuming this to be true, she would be in the class of 2016. Looks like they just made a mistake on the Stat page.

http://ssmhockey.org/girls-u-16-roster/
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                Does the NCAA no longer restrict recruiters from approaching prospects prior to July 1st of the prospect's senior/graduating year as they did six or seven years ago?
                There are still restrictions, although there have been a couple of things that were relaxed. Where it is less restrictive is when the player contacts the school, so that's where the early commitments evolve.

Comment

There are still restrictions, although there have been a couple of things that were relaxed. Where it is less restrictive is when the player contacts the school, so that's where the early commitments evolve.
                  I thought that that might be the explanation but even so, it seems to me to not be such a great idea to have allowed said relaxing. So many things can happen in the ensuing one or two or even three years that these type of commitments should be taken with a whole handful of salt. Pros and cons to everything but it could be argued that such an early commitment from the player might cause them some anguish in the future due to expectations that they have placed upon themselves as well as their perception of the expectations that the particular program in question has of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    I thought that that might be the explanation but even so, it seems to me to not be such a great idea to have allowed said relaxing.
                    The changes that I am aware of deal with things like a slight change to when contact is allowed in the summer and handling new technologies like texting, nothing major. As far as I know, the student athlete has always been able to initiate contact, just as any other perspective student would when wanting to learn more about a school.

I really don't see these early commitments as harming the students to any large degree. Those most at risk are the late bloomers or those that take longer to decide what they want to do. With that in mind, it might hurt international students to an extent, because there could be fewer programs that have an opening should they wait longer to start checking on options, and I agree that a player from Europe, for example, won't decide to start checking out a school in the U.S. as early as someone living in that state will.

It is a little like being able to buy tickets for a popular movie in advance. A customer may show up at the ticket window on Friday night and find that the tickets for the show she wants are all sold, but maybe those who made the decision days before are entitled to have priority.

Comment

I really don't see these early commitments as harming the students to any large degree. Those most at risk are the late bloomers or those that take longer to decide what they want to do. With that in mind, it might hurt international students to an extent, because there could be fewer programs that have an opening should they wait longer to start checking on options, and I agree that a player from Europe, for example, won't decide to start checking out a school in the U.S. as early as someone living in that state will.
                      I noticed that the latest 2014-2015 commitments only include 17 Canadians. It seems to me that nearly 80 Canadians will end up playing as freshmen next year, so they don't appear to be hurt by "late" commitments. A coach probably will take a prime player regardless of need (witness Frost with a couple of Finns who showed up on his doorstep a few years ago).

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                        A coach probably will take a prime player regardless of need (witness Frost with a couple of Finns who showed up on his doorstep a few years ago).
                        The coach may certainly be willing to take that prime player; the question becomes whether there are any scholarship dollars left if the player shows interest at the 11th hour. There have been some high-profile players that wanted to come to the "U", but the scholarships had already been awarded elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                          I noticed that the latest 2014-2015 commitments only include 17 Canadians. It seems to me that nearly 80 Canadians will end up playing as freshmen next year, so they don't appear to be hurt by "late" commitments. A coach probably will take a prime player regardless of need (witness Frost with a couple of Finns who showed up on his doorstep a few years ago).
                          I don't think there are late commitments with Canadians so much as there are late announcements.

Comment

Colgate
                            Liz Auby.............G..................(Milwaukee Jr Admirals)........................WI

Comment

Bump.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

MINNESOTA
                                Katie Robinson...........................D.............. ..........(Dodge County Wildcats).................MN

Go Gophers
                                Last edited by DeputyChief32; 03-04-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X