This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2013-14

It should be a fun one, I dont know if I should feel good that they are coming off a loss or worried that they might try to take it out on us. I am guessing Mihalik will start, I dont really think that throwing Finn into the pressure cooker at Lynah is a good idea, if Vaughn wants him to get a Cornell experience this year, at Starr is the place to do it. I really hope that Vaughn has spent the past two weeks figuring out how to carry the puck into the zone because if you look at two of our league losses they have been to bigger and stronger teams, much like Cornell. If we dump and chase I dont think we will be able to win those board battles. Cornell is just too big for us to compete there regularly.

We shall see, but very excited to be in Cornell week.

On another note, I watched Minnesota and UMASS on tv. I will be excited to see how Spink-Spink-Baun play on the larger ice, i think that will be fun. Question is whether our struggles on D will be magnified. (It should be a good preview of Lake Placid anyways).

As far as Umass, they seem dirty and Baun better be careful in front of the goal as the goalie appears not to be worried about taking a "personal" shot.

Comment

Speed kills !
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

It's that time of the year again ... Cornell week!

I know everyone has their own opinion about this, but I actually like how the Cornell games this year are split up. We get that trip to Lynah out of the way relatively early this year (we've got a 2-game unbeaten streak in that barn right now), and as Shabby mentioned earlier, Cornell's big burly defensemen tend to wear you down, so if we were to play them on back-to-back nights, we would have been a bit worn out in the second game. Plus, we get all the build-up and excitement of playing Cornell twice this season!

Also, if you may recall from last year, after sweeping UMass last December, we had 4 weeks off, then played 2 games against Sacred Heart (probably the worst Division 1 team last year), then had another 2 weeks off before resuming league play. I believe that halted any positive momentum we may have had. This year, had we played Cornell back-to-back in February, we would have had 3 weeks off before playing UMass, then another 3 weeks off before playing Minnesota. Now we still had breaks in the schedule this year (last weekend and the aforementioned 3-week break after the UMass games), but they are both during holiday weekends. So by moving up one of the Cornell games, we won't have any long layoffs.

Also, strange as it may sound, it's been 13 months since we last played the Big Red. Weird, huh?
        Colgate '09

Comment

Davey vs Goliath, Cornell has thirteen players 6-2 or better. Seven players 6-3 or over, and Five 6-4 or over . They score a lot of PP goals, must camp out in front. We're a lot quicker, I hope, we need to beat them with our speed, and stay outta the Sin Bin.

Big Red are 16-61 good enough for fifth in the nation on the powerplay.

Checking Time Warner it looks like they are covering Cornell vs Syracuse Women Saturday night.
          Last edited by sshablak; 12-02-2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            Davey vs Goliath, Cornell has thirteen players 6-2 or better. Seven players 6-3 or over, and Five 6-4 or over . They score a lot of PP goals, must camp out in front. We're a lot quicker, I hope, we need to beat them with our speed, and stay outta the Sin Bin.

Big Red are 16-61 good enough for fifth in the nation on the powerplay.

Checking Time Warner it looks like they are covering Cornell vs Syracuse Women Saturday night.
            The Syracuse market will be showing RIT-AIC from Rochester on Saturday night. They're just picking up the feed from the Rochester market which comes via RIT SportsZone. The only time I see the Cornell-SU women's game listed is Tuesday night - and that's a live broadcast of a game being played at the War Memorial.

The only live video on Saturday of Colgate-Cornell will be from the Ivy League Digital Network which is a pay-to-watch service.

Comment

I trust no scuffles will break out on the handshake line this year?

Comment

I can't blame you for assuming the camping out in front strategy - makes a whole lot of sense. However, it's actually not the case - the Cornell pp has been passing and moving the puck much better than I've seen it in years. If anything, the complaints over on eLynah (if you can have a complaint about the #5 pp in the nation) are that it's TOO patient and it seems like they're looking for perfect shots. Definitely not a scrum-it-up-in-front-of-the-goalie sort of pp.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hockey View Post
                  I trust no scuffles will break out on the handshake line this year?
                  Will there be a handshake line at Lynah? Or will they save that for the second game, at Starr?

What? No Patriot League Network feed of the game with Gate Radio doing the broadcast?
                  COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    I can't blame you for assuming the camping out in front strategy - makes a whole lot of sense. However, it's actually not the case - the Cornell pp has been passing and moving the puck much better than I've seen it in years. If anything, the complaints over on eLynah (if you can have a complaint about the #5 pp in the nation) are that it's TOO patient and it seems like they're looking for perfect shots. Definitely not a scrum-it-up-in-front-of-the-goalie sort of pp.
                    We've really felt the lack of an oak in front with good hands. The great pp conversion (if anything, it's even better than the numbers so far) comes down to excellent quarterbacking from the point and a lot of very talented forwards. OTOH, in most games this year we've really been outplayed 5x5, so anybody who stays out of the box has a good shot.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Davey vs Goliath, Cornell has thirteen players 6-2 or better. Seven players 6-3 or over, and Five 6-4 or over .
                      Kind of. Esposito (6-4) never plays (he's of all things a golfer, on the team for sheer emergency D depth -- if he plays something has gone horribly wrong). De Swardt (6-5) and Craig (6-5) rotate based on who's made the most recent mistake, so you only face one of them. Hibrich (6-6) plays most nights and seems to have it together now. Willcox (6-4), Patrick McCarron and Kubiak (6-3 freshmen and still growing) do play every night. So you will most likely see only five guys 6-3 and over. Two of the 6-2ers (Ferlin, Lowry) have freakishly long reaches and Weidner plays bigger than his 6-2 (I'd have guessed he was more like 6-4 actually).

But yes, this is certainly a very big team and unlike recent editions they're much faster as well, particularly on the wings. I still expect us to try to clog things up on 'Gate, though. Seems like the Raiders always have a step on us in this rivalry.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                        Will there be a handshake line at Lynah? Or will they save that for the second game, at Starr?

What? No Patriot League Network feed of the game with Gate Radio doing the broadcast?
                        The PLN is only for home games. I'll still have live audio on the WKXZ webstream. Then, we'll be back on the PLN for the UMass series.

Comment

Tx for chiming in Red fans.

Comment

Do we recruit at all ? What is going(not) on ? No one showing up on Heisenberg. Weburg,Rane etc ?

Comment

Shabby - I'm seeing Racine and Weberg on Heisenberg plus three for 2015. Not much action expected on the recruiting front this year as we've only 2 seniors to replace. Based on past practices, we are done for next year at this point. Need six for 2015 and we have three already. Guessing we won't see much more until next summer fall as for whatever reason we don't seem to get guys multi-years out the way most other non Atlantic teams do.

Comment

Mine shows none for 2014 and Citron for 2015 ??

Comment

Working...
                                X