Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Monty Hall, we have a PROBLEM

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?
    Melchior, Caspar, and Balthazar, for sure!

Possibly also Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, though who knows?
    Last edited by FreshFish; 03-23-2015, 09:26 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Moe, Larry, and Curly?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Tinkers, Evers and Chance?

Comment

Patty, Maxine, and Levine?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Patty, Maxine, and Levine?
            I didn't know that Laverne was Jewish.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Albert and Bernard just met Cheryl. “When’s your birthday?” Albert asked Cheryl.

Cheryl thought a second and said, “I’m not going to tell you, but I’ll give you some clues.” She wrote down a list of 10 dates:

May 15 — May 16 — May 19

June 17 — June 18

July 14 — July 16

August 14 — August 15 — August 17

“My birthday is one of these,” she said.

Then Cheryl whispered in Albert’s ear the month — and only the month — of her birthday. To Bernard, she whispered the day, and only the day.

“Can you figure it out now?” she asked Albert.

Albert: I don’t know when your birthday is, but I know Bernard doesn’t know, either.

Bernard: I didn’t know originally, but now I do.

Albert: Well, now I know, too!

When is Cheryl’s birthday?
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Albert and Bernard just met Cheryl. “When’s your birthday?” Albert asked Cheryl.

Cheryl thought a second and said, “I’m not going to tell you, but I’ll give you some clues.” She wrote down a list of 10 dates:

May 15 — May 16 — May 19

June 17 — June 18

July 14 — July 16

August 14 — August 15 — August 17

“My birthday is one of these,” she said.

Then Cheryl whispered in Albert’s ear the month — and only the month — of her birthday. To Bernard, she whispered the day, and only the day.

“Can you figure it out now?” she asked Albert.

Albert: I don’t know when your birthday is, but I know Bernard doesn’t know, either.

Bernard: I didn’t know originally, but now I do.

Albert: Well, now I know, too!

When is Cheryl’s birthday?
                Why can't she just show us the long form birth certificate already? I'm just asking questions!
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                  Why can't she just show us the long form birth certificate already? I'm just asking questions!
                  That, and this story is about a week old. DX is acting like my parents.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Albert, Bernard and Cheryl's Birthday problem looks to me a like a pretty good discrete math problem, if you arrange the dates just right. But in plain English here's how I approached it:

... Cheryl then tells Albert and Bernard separately the month and the day of her birthday, respectively.

Albert: I don't know when Cheryl's birthday is, but I know that Bernard does not know too.
                    She gave Albert one of the months that does not have a unique date (July or August).
                    May and June are out.

Bernard: At first I didn't know when Cheryl's birthday is, but I know now.
                    14 is out, because Bernard can't guess July or August in order to make that statement. She gave Bernard 15, 16 or 17.
                    Albert: Then I also know when Cheryl's birthday is.
                    August is out, because Albert can't guess 15 or 17 to make that statement.
                    So 15 and 17 are out.

All that's left is July 16.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                      "Cheryl" sounds awfully like "Sharia"...
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

OK, so it's PowerBall fever!

Let's say that I buy one ticket with two entries on it, then stick it in a drawer without looking at the numbers at all.

Sunday morning, I wake up and hear on the news that somebody won the $800 million jackpot (let's say it is discounted to $545 million on a present value basis, and let's assume a 45% income tax rate overall, so that the net after-tax value is $300 million).

1) What is the minimum price I accept to sell my ticket to someone else, assuming I still haven't looked at any of the actual numbers?

2) Later that day, I hear on the news that the winning ticket was sold in my state, too. Now what is the minimum price I accept to sell my ticket, if I still haven't looked at it yet?

3) Then I hear the next morning that someone in my town was the winner. Same question, same constraint.

(answer may not be in actual dollars, it might be in PS (Tickets sold in my state as ratio to all tickets sold) or PT (ratio for tickets sold in town compared to all sold). Note that my one ticket has two numbers on it.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          OK, so it's PowerBall fever!

Let's say that I buy one ticket with two entries on it, then stick it in a drawer without looking at the numbers at all.

Sunday morning, I wake up and hear on the news that somebody won the $800 million jackpot (let's say it is discounted to $545 million on a present value basis, and let's assume a 45% income tax rate overall, so that the net after-tax value is $300 million).

1) What is the minimum price I accept to sell my ticket to someone else, assuming I still haven't looked at any of the actual numbers?

2) Later that day, I hear on the news that the winning ticket was sold in my state, too. Now what is the minimum price I accept to sell my ticket, if I still haven't looked at it yet?

3) Then I hear the next morning that someone in my town was the winner. Same question, same constraint.

(answer may not be in actual dollars, it might be in PS (Tickets sold in my state as ratio to all tickets sold) or PT (ratio for tickets sold in town compared to all sold). Note that my one ticket has two numbers on it.
                          Better start with the assumption that you found a gopher fan who will give you money believing you have not looked at the numbers.

Comment

Not enough info to solve. How many tickets were sold in your state? How many were sold in your city? Did you purchase your tickets within your city?
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              Better start with the assumption that you found a gopher fan who will give you money believing you have not looked at the numbers.

Lol. You're confusing us with the paint thinner drinkers to the east.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Not enough info to solve. How many tickets were sold in your state? How many were sold in your city? Did you purchase your tickets within your city?
                                Use scalar (Ts, Tc, whatever). Assume I bought in my town. or don't bother trying at all. whichever.

One of the tricky parts in the problem is estimating the odds of multiple winners....

Comment

Working...
                                X