Monty Hall, we have a PROBLEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Monty Hall, we have a PROBLEM

Supposedly, one of the hardest su doku puzzles ever devised can be found here: http://nypost.com/2010/08/22/its-the...-su-doku-ever/

I have not really looked at it too closely, at least not yet.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Ecclesiastes 1:9
      All of Ecclesiastes 1 is beautiful:

The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
      Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
      What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
      One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
      The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
      The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.
      All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
      All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
      The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
      Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.
      There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.
      I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
      And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.
      I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
      That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.
      I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.
      And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
      For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Okay, Ralph has 184,013 posts, and he is averaging 28.36 posts per day. At that rate, when will he reach 200,000 posts?
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          Okay, Ralph has 184,013 posts, and he is averaging 28.36 posts per day. At that rate, when will he reach 200,000 posts?
          When he decides to post again after making post #199,999.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
            Sometime between November 21, 2018 and November 22, 2018. Maybe the 200,000th post will be the great reveal of who killed JFK on the 55th anniversary of his death.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              Sometime between November 21, 2018 and November 22, 2018. Maybe the 200,000th post will be the great reveal of who killed JFK on the 55th anniversary of his death.
              Wasn't JFK killed on 11/23? Nothing good comes from the #23.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Wasn't JFK killed on 11/23? Nothing good comes from the #23.
                November 22, 1963. Oswald killed November 24th. 23 is really the only good number left.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Nothing good comes from the #23.
                  Not a Michael Jordan fan, eh?
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    Not a Michael Jordan fan, eh?
                    He was pretty good in Creed, but Fantastic Four had some serious issues. I don't think they were his fault, nor do either of those movies contain the #23.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

November 22, 1963. Oswald killed November 24th. 23 is really the only good number left.
                      I was in a HS English class. I remember the rumor of his death spreading and the teacher denying it could have happened, but probably inwardly happy based upon his political bent.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-10-2017, 01:55 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        I was in a HS history class. I remember the rumor of his death spreading and the teacher denying it could have happened, but probably inwardly happy based upon his political bent.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSAbejJhgqM
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So about 4 months ago, I got an unsolicited Email from a service that claimed to have exclusive inside knowledge of upcoming college football games. The body of the message ended with a simple statement: "Hawaii will beat Colorado State", followed by a link to learn more. Not at all intrigued, I moved on. I got an IM a couple days later by my friend in Honolulu gloating over his proud alma mater's win over CSU.

About the same time next week another Email arrived: "Mark it: Eastern Michigan over Purdue". Sure enough, the following Saturday the Eagles pulled the upset. I resisted the urge to click the link, and did the same the next week when the Email from that service proclaimed "BYU will shock Wisconsin". When that indeed happened a couple days later, my resistance was wearing down. I opened the link and found "Inside Track to Fortune" making a pitch for its services.

But I'm extremely wary of these things and KNEW there's a catch to every get-rich-through-inside-knowledge scheme, so I made a vow to myself to stay the course the rest of the season and not give in.

Until Week 13. This time, instead of the usual Email, ITtF's message was "For a mere $100, get this week's shocking upset!". Knowing (by the way) by this time they'd been right all previous 12 weeks, the arguments for not going for it completely wore thin. I made my $100 online payment, received a somewhat reasonable upset prediction: Auburn over Alabama, and placed a $2,500 bet with a reputable sports betting service - putting my money on Auburn.

A moment of clarity soon found me, however. I realized I was most likely duped, and the relatively easy scam used to accomplish it.

What was this scheme?
                          Last edited by owslachief; 01-07-2019, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            So about 4 months ago, I got an unsolicited Email from a service that claimed to have exclusive inside knowledge of upcoming college football games. The body of the message ended with a simple statement: "Hawaii will beat Colorado State", followed by a link to learn more. Not at all intrigued, I moved on. I got an IM a couple days later by my friend in Honolulu gloating over his proud alma mater's win over CSU.

About the same time next week another Email arrived: "Mark it: Eastern Michigan over Purdue". Sure enough, the following Saturday the Eagles pulled the upset. I resisted the urge to click the link, and did the same the next week when the Email from that service proclaimed "BYU will shock Wisconsin". When that indeed happened a couple days later, my resistance was wearing down. I opened the link and found "Inside Track to Fortune" making a pitch for its services.

But I'm extremely wary of these things and KNEW there's a catch to every get-rich-through-inside-knowledge scheme, so I made a vow to myself to stay the course the rest of the season and not give in.

Until Week 13. This time, instead of the usual Email, ITtF's message was "For a mere $100, get this week's shocking upset!". Knowing (by the way) by this time they'd been right all previous 12 weeks, the arguments for not going for it completely wore thin. I made my $100 online payment, received a somewhat reasonable upset prediction: Auburn over Alabama, and placed a $2,500 bet with a reputable sports betting service - putting my money on Auburn.

A moment of clarity soon found me, however. I realized I was most likely duped, and the relatively easy scam used to accomplish it.

What was this scheme?
                            http://skepdic.com/perfectprediction.html
                            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                              As both the puzzle and Wildcard's answer are related to "The Gambler's Mistake", which was posed in the book Einstein's Riddle, well played

Comment

It looks like I didn't make it.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X