Monty Hall, we have a PROBLEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Chicago and LA would be the answer. Seattle is short a World Series, New York and Boston are short an MLS Cup.

Of course don't let that distract you from the fact that the Revolution have lost 4 Finals...
    But back in the day, the Cosmos won the NASL. Does that count?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      But back in the day, the Cosmos won the NASL. Does that count?
      That's actually interesting conversation to have regarding soccer history in this country. I would consider an NASL (1968-1984) Title as equivalent but some don't. It's kind of in the same realm of including pre-Super Bowl NFL Titles (or AFL Titles).
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Monty Hall, we have a PROBLEM

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        That's actually interesting conversation to have regarding soccer history in this country. I would consider an NASL (1968-1984) Title as equivalent but some don't. It's kind of in the same realm of including pre-Super Bowl NFL Titles (or AFL Titles).
        NASL and Pre-Super Bowl NFL titles should count.

The AFL... that's tricky. My instinct is no, you only count the top league in the sport in a given year (e.g., the WHA can suck it.)
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• What's the better deal?

A 6 inch slice of pizza cut at a 60 degree angle for $1.30...

Or a 7 inch slice of pizza cut at a 45 degree angle for $1.60?
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Are that pie squared?

7*7 = 49*3.14 = 153.86. You're getting 1/8th of that pie, so 153.86/8 = 19.2325 in^2

6*6 = 36*3.14 = 113.04. You're getting 1/6th of that pie, so 113.04/6 = 18.84 in^2

19.2325/1.6 = 12.02
            18.84/1.3 = 14.19

You get more pizza per dollar with the 6" pizza that gives you a full radian of the pie, but you get slightly more pizza with the 45-degree slice of the 7" pie.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

OK, so the answer to this poser is fairly straightforward, I liked it because it was an interesting twist on an old stand-by.

There is a set of triplets that is identical in appearance in every way, so that they are hard to tell apart. One thing that does distinguish them is that, among Jack, Jim, and Joe, Jack and Jim always answer a question with a lie, and Joe always answers a question truthfully.

You see one of them approaching you. You need to find out if it is Jack or not, since Jack owes you money. You can only ask him one question. What question do you ask that lets you know which one he is?

PS I do know that identical triplets are extremely rare; this is a logic problem using idealized assumptions....
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                OK, so the answer to this poser is fairly straightforward, I liked it because it was an interesting twist on an old stand-by.

There is a set of triplets that is identical in appearance in every way, so that they are hard to tell apart. One thing that does distinguish them is that, among Jack, Jim, and Joe, Jack and Jim always answer a question with a lie, and Joe always answers a question truthfully.

You see one of them approaching you. You need to find out if it is Jack or not, since Jack owes you money. You can only ask him one question. What question do you ask that lets you know which one he is?

PS I do know that identical triplets are extremely rare; this is a logic problem using idealized assumptions....
                Answer below:

"Is Jim your brother"

Jack will answer no, Joe and Jim will answer yes.

Comment

Okay. I am aiming for 1,000 miles running on the year. I average 35 miles a week, and am currently at 269 miles run so far for the year. What I want to know is this:

1. When will I reach my goal for the year?

2. At this rate, how many miles could I run in total for the year?

This is assuming that all remains well, no injuries, illness, etc.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Okay. I am aiming for 1,000 miles running on the year. I average 35 miles a week, and am currently at 269 miles run so far for the year. What I want to know is this:

1. When will I reach my goal for the year?

2. At this rate, how many miles could I run in total for the year?

This is assuming that all remains well, no injuries, illness, etc.
                    Assuming that, going forward, week starting 2/26/2017, you have 269 miles already, then at 35 additional miles per week, you should hit 1,000 miles during the week starting 7/16/2017 (1,004 miles at the end of that week).

Continuing that 35 miles / week pace all year brings you to 1,809 miles by the end of Saturday, 12/30/2017.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I saw this one right away, but really had to grapple with where the "error" was.

Three guys (or gals) walk into a hotel and ask for a room.

The manager tells them the bill will be $30. The three guests decide to split the bill evenly - each pays $10. They go up to their rooms.

A couple hours later the manager realizes he screwed up, the bill should only have been $25. He calls over his bellhop, hands him $5, and tells him to take the money up to the three guests.

The bellhop realizes there's no way to divide $5 evenly among three people, and the guests are none the wiser, so he decides to give them each $1 and keep the remaining $2 for himself as a tip. He goes up and gives each guest $1 and puts $2 in his pocket.

Each of the three guests has now paid $9 for the room, for a total of $27. The bellhop has $2. That accounts for $29. Where is the missing dollar?

There isn't one. The guests have paid $27. The manager is up $25 and the bellhop is up $2. We're all square.

The "error" is at the very end of the problem. When I mention the bellhop's $2 tip, I'm really counting it twice. (For the accounting geeks, I'm adding debits and credits.) The $27 (formerly $30) the guests are out already accounts for it.

Alternatively, you can think of the tip as being in the $5 the manager gave to the bellhop - that's $25 for the manager, $3 for the guests, and $2 for the bellhop, all $30 is accounted for.

Imagine if the room had only cost $10, and the manager gave $20 back to the bellhop to take to the guests. He gives them each $1 and keeps $17 for himself. Guests have paid $27, bellhop kept $17, that's $44 which has nothing to do with anything. The $29 is a red herring.
                      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        I saw this one right away, but really had to grapple with where the "error" was.

Three guys (or gals) walk into a hotel and ask for a room.

The manager tells them the bill will be $30. The three guests decide to split the bill evenly - each pays $10. They go up to their rooms.

A couple hours later the manager realizes he screwed up, the bill should only have been $25. He calls over his bellhop, hands him $5, and tells him to take the money up to the three guests.

The bellhop realizes there's no way to divide $5 evenly among three people, and the guests are none the wiser, so he decides to give them each $1 and keep the remaining $2 for himself as a tip. He goes up and gives each guest $1 and puts $2 in his pocket.

Each of the three guests has now paid $9 for the room, for a total of $27. The bellhop has $2. That accounts for $29. Where is the missing dollar?

There isn't one. The guests have paid $27. The manager is up $25 and the bellhop is up $2. We're all square.

The "error" is at the very end of the problem. When I mention the bellhop's $2 tip, I'm really counting it twice. (For the accounting geeks, I'm adding debits and credits.) The $27 (formerly $30) the guests are out already accounts for it.

Alternatively, you can think of the tip as being in the $5 the manager gave to the bellhop - that's $25 for the manager, $3 for the guests, and $2 for the bellhop, all $30 is accounted for.

Imagine if the room had only cost $10, and the manager gave $20 back to the bellhop to take to the guests. He gives them each $1 and keeps $17 for himself. Guests have paid $27, bellhop kept $17, that's $44 which has nothing to do with anything. The $29 is a red herring.
                        I had the same experience. It's funny because I went through 3 phases:

1. Hey, yeah, where did the extra dollar go? (2 minutes)
                        2. Oh, I see the problem, but how would I explain it? (5 minutes)
                        3. Certainty of the explanation after which I can't see how I was even confused in the first place.

That was a fun little examination of how the brain works. Very nice!
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

it's not missing.

they each paid in $9 to the hotel (27)
                          hotel register has 25 in the drawer (30-5)

the "change" 2 is in the bellhops pocket (paid 27 - hotel has 25)
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            I had the same experience. It's funny because I went through 3 phases:

1. Hey, yeah, where did the extra dollar go? (2 minutes)
                            2. Oh, I see the problem, but how would I explain it? (5 minutes)
                            3. Certainty of the explanation after which I can't see how I was even confused in the first place.

That was a fun little examination of how the brain works. Very nice!
                            This one's been floating around for a long time. I might've run across it back in college, which is far longer ago than I'd care to admit.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              This one's been floating around for a long time. I might've run across it back in college, which is far longer ago than I'd care to admit.
                              I heard the eponymous Monty Hall problem back in grad school in the 80s, and I'm sure it's far older than that.

There is nothing new under the sun.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                There is nothing new under the sun.
                                Ecclesiastes 1:9

Comment

Working...
                                X