X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Hockey 2013-14 Season

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    I've been optimistic all year and continue to be so but have some concerns about KRoy and freshman forwards not named Szmatula. Compared to the first half, they appear to have cooled off a bit, especially last weekend at ND. While I generally agree with the proposition that this team goes as far as Clay Witt takes it, there's no way the guy can do it all by himself.
    Now just imagine if Roy gets back on track and starts scoring goals again.
    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Jim Madigan, Jerry Keefe and Pat Foley were all in attendance for tonight's game between Springfield Cathedral and Austin Prep. Several kids already committed to various Hockey East and AHA schools. Biggest uncommitted prospects were Austin Prep '97 G Elijah Harris (Haverhill), Austin Prep '96 F Cam Russo and Springfield Cathedral '99 F Riley Prattson. AP defenseman JJ Layton (Peabody) is also seeing his stock rise.

AP's Bobo Carpenter (BU), SC's Peter Crinella (Holy Cross), Keith Petruzzelli (QU), DJ Petruzzelli (QU) and John Leonard (UMass) were the five committed recruits playing.

David Quinn was also in the building as were about 10 NHL scouts, including two from Buffalo Sabres.
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
        Jim Madigan, Jerry Keefe and Pat Foley were all in attendance for tonight's game between Springfield Cathedral and Austin Prep. Several kids already committed to various Hockey East and AHA schools. Biggest uncommitted prospects were Austin Prep '97 G Elijah Harris (Haverhill), Austin Prep '96 F Cam Russo and Springfield Cathedral '99 F Riley Prattson. AP defenseman JJ Layton (Peabody) is also seeing his stock rise.
        Jeff, what is your scouting report on Harris?
        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

He's small, but very athletic, good lateral movement, his team (albeit top 5 in state) hangs him out to dry occasionally. Most of AP's top players are offensive minded, defense mistake prone. Wears Dominik Hasek type mask. I've honestly yet to see him play a game this season that makes you just say "wow" but he's good and I know he's capable of that.

Comment

He's small, but very athletic, good lateral movement, his team (albeit top 5 in state) hangs him out to dry occasionally. Most of AP's top players are offensive minded, defense mistake prone. Wears Dominik Hasek type mask. I've honestly yet to see him play a game this season that makes you just say "wow" but he's good and I know he's capable of that.
            Good to hear, sounds like he has a bright future. Hopefully his size doesn't hinder him as he gets older and advances. Saw your tweet regarding NU's interest, so it's nice to hear a positive report about the kid.
            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
              Good to hear, sounds like he has a bright future. Hopefully his size doesn't hinder him as he gets older and advances. Saw your tweet regarding NU's interest, so it's nice to hear a positive report about the kid.
              I'd imagine they are very close to offering him or are close to getting a commit from him. I've seen head coaches and assistant coaches at high school games, once in a while you'll see two together, very rarely you see the whole staff there.

Comment

I'd imagine they are very close to offering him or are close to getting a commit from him. I've seen head coaches and assistant coaches at high school games, once in a while you'll see two together, very rarely you see the whole staff there.
                Do you think he can be a solid #1 at the NCAA level? I'm not very familiar with the prep level, so I'm curious..We've seen Santaguida at UVM have success, but for the most part it seems that #1's on teams are 6' or bigger.
                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                  Do you think he can be a solid #1 at the NCAA level? I'm not very familiar with the prep level, so I'm curious..We've seen Santaguida at UVM have success, but for the most part it seems that #1's on teams are 6' or bigger.
                  I think he can be very good but agree with you on the size concern. He's three years away. Will play one more year of high school then juniors before heading to NCAA.

Comment

I think he can be very good but agree with you on the size concern. He's three years away. Will play one more year of high school then juniors before heading to NCAA.
                    Hopefully the three years of seasoning will do him well, and who knows, maybe he adds an inch or so late in the game. Thanks for the insight Jeff, really appreciate the work you do.
                    "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Hopefully the three years of seasoning will do him well, and who knows, maybe he adds an inch or so late in the game. Thanks for the insight Jeff, really appreciate the work you do.
                      Thanks for the kind words. I'm actually heading to see NU recruit Lincoln Griffin and his Thayer teammates take on Nobles at 4 p.m. I'll pass along any insight on him. Thayer also has a goalie who is one of the top uncommitted goalies in New England.

Comment

I feel the same way on Roy and dont understand this fact,with 3 less games played compared to last year,he has three less goals,which is right on last years pace,yet,It also feels as though he isnt scoring,He is scoring,perhaps its frustration lately in not shooting more often,that is disappointing,I dont have an ice time stat maybe hes getting more shifts than last year,anyone care to open this up more? hes still looks dominant with the puck,I'm curious what the experts here say.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,21337/kevin-roy/

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
                          I feel the same way on Roy and dont understand this fact,with 3 less games played compared to last year,he has three less goals,which is right on last years pace,yet,It also feels as though he isnt scoring,He is scoring,perhaps its frustration lately in not shooting more often,that is disappointing,I dont have an ice time stat maybe hes getting more shifts than last year,anyone care to open this up more? hes still looks dominant with the puck,I'm curious what the experts here say.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,21337/kevin-roy/
                          Nearly all his goals came before the Thanksgiving holiday...11 of the 14, to be exact. My thinking, without going deeper or analyzing anything, is that teams are scheming to take him out of the equation, trying to bottle him up. Like double covering a WR in football. Probably not coincidentally, Braden Pimm has 9 of his 15 goals since Thanksgiving, and Kevin's assists have spiked up. So while Roy is being taken out, this extra attention is opening the ice for other players, in this case Pimm, to score. Hopefully as teams move to cover Pimm, Roy will have the space to operate and get back on track. Pimm isn't someone to ignore for sure, so it's only a matter of time before teams have to account for him. My gut (I know, great indicator) tells me Roy is going to go on a hot streak soon. Hopefully it starts Monday
                          Last edited by NU_Husky; 01-30-2014, 12:02 AM.
                          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Two reasons why people feel Roy has scored less, a lot of his goals came in first month and the team is playing so well and others are contributing more than last season. Got a chance to watch Thayer forward Lincoln Griffin, a NU commit, again today. His team, coached by Tony Amonte, defeated Nobles, 6-3. He reminds me of former Huskies forward and current Yale assistant Jason Guerriero. Saw Pat Foley at tonight's BC High-St. John's Shrewsbury game. A few good prospects on BC High, but the prize everyone is after is sophomore defenseman Ryan Shea. He has all the tools, so poised, father played at BC. He's had an official visit to Merrimack, but it'd be a huge upset if he ended up anywhere but Conte Forum.

Comment

Nearly all his goals came before the Thanksgiving holiday...11 of the 14, to be exact. My thinking, without going deeper or analyzing anything, is that teams are scheming to take him out of the equation, trying to bottle him up. Like double covering a WR in football. Probably not coincidentally, Braden Pimm has 9 of his 15 goals since Thanksgiving, and Kevin's assists have spiked up. So while Roy is being taken out, this extra attention is opening the ice for other players, in this case Pimm, to score. Hopefully as teams move to cover Pimm, Roy will have the space to operate and get back on track. Pimm isn't someone to ignore for sure, so it's only a matter of time before teams have to account for him. My guy (I know, great indicator) tells me Roy is going to go on a hot streak soon. Hopefully it starts Monday
                              Wow,great job on that,well said-thank you :-)

Comment

Nearly all his goals came before the Thanksgiving holiday...11 of the 14, to be exact. My thinking, without going deeper or analyzing anything, is that teams are scheming to take him out of the equation, trying to bottle him up. Like double covering a WR in football. Probably not coincidentally, Braden Pimm has 9 of his 15 goals since Thanksgiving, and Kevin's assists have spiked up. So while Roy is being taken out, this extra attention is opening the ice for other players, in this case Pimm, to score. Hopefully as teams move to cover Pimm, Roy will have the space to operate and get back on track. Pimm isn't someone to ignore for sure, so it's only a matter of time before teams have to account for him. My gut (I know, great indicator) tells me Roy is going to go on a hot streak soon. Hopefully it starts Monday
                                I personally don't have a problem with his lack of goals as other players have been picking up some slack. What I do have a problem with is that I have left the last few games wondering if I should go file a missing person report down on Columbus Ave. I feel like Roy hasn't even shown up to games lately, looking awfully lazy at times and getting pushed off pucks very easily. I know he's never been much of a two-way player, but his lackluster efforts in the defensive zone have been appalling over the past few weeks. Is his head somewhere else right now??
                                On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                                If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Working...
                                X