Union College Dutchwomen 2013-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    Pretty surprising from a hockey perspective as Dahl's numbers were pretty good for such little time she played - possibly her choice or another issue. Can't be surprised by Pincott, who didn't play a minute as a Freshman. Be interesting to see if they surface anywhere else.
    I agree, Dahl looked to be the future of the Dutchwomen's program. According to friends of Dahl's, Dahl had both Knee & Hip surgery and it was a family decision.

Comment

• Re: Union College Dutchwomen 2013-2014

A roundup of who Union is graduating, who isn't returning and who is coming in.

GRADUATING
      D Ashley Johnston
      D Maddy Norton
      F Elsa Bruestle
      F Mac Purvis
      F Stefanie Thomson

NOT RETURNING
      G Maddie Dahl
      G Emma Pincott

CONFIRMED INCOMING RECRUITS
      D Brandy Streeter
      D Caitlyn McLaren
      F Hannah Erickson
      F Nicole Russell
      G Alexx Ridding

That's what I know as of today.

Comment

Just wondering if Union awards just as much "financial aid" scholarship money to the women as they do to their men's team? It the two are on equal footing then you have to conclude that Bennett is one heck of a coach!

"I know how Union runs and being successful, being a financial aid school, it’s worked well,” Bennett said. “We have a lot of alumni that have really supported our school, and through that, I think we thrive through Union College that way.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...2&c=y#continue
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Just wondering if Union awards just as much "financial aid" scholarship money to the women as they do to their men's team? It the two are on equal footing then you have to conclude that Bennett is one heck of a coach!

"I know how Union runs and being successful, being a financial aid school, it’s worked well,” Bennett said. “We have a lot of alumni that have really supported our school, and through that, I think we thrive through Union College that way.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...2&c=y#continue
          Heckuva team that beat the Gophers for the title. Does make me wonder about why it hasn't worked as well on the women's side. Is there a large disparity in support? Seems that things...circumstances being similar if the men can accomplish what they have...well, just sayin'. Maybe they will given time if in fact support is similar.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            Heckuva team that beat the Gophers for the title. Does make me wonder about why it hasn't worked as well on the women's side. Is there a large disparity in support? Seems that things...circumstances being similar if the men can accomplish what they have...well, just sayin'. Maybe they will given time if in fact support is similar.
            TIME is certainly the key, IF you have those one or two key coaches who can make a difference. With the Union men it started not with Bennett, but with Nate Leaman, who arrived in '03-'04 and build a contender (which included the recruitment of Bennett). Leaman is now working the same magic at Providence. But things didn't happen overnight for Leaman either. It took him 7 years to build the program from a .444 record to .615 contender, but he clearly knew what he was doing and administration stuck with him long enough to make it work. I don't know the coaching staff for the women's team well enough to know whether the same potential exists, but I do see movement in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
              TIME is certainly the key, IF you have those one or two key coaches who can make a difference. With the Union men it started not with Bennett, but with Nate Leaman, who arrived in '03-'04 and build a contender (which included the recruitment of Bennett). Leaman is now working the same magic at Providence. But things didn't happen overnight for Leaman either. It took him 7 years to build the program from a .444 record to .615 contender, but he clearly knew what he was doing and administration stuck with him long enough to make it work. I don't know the coaching staff for the women's team well enough to know whether the same potential exists, but I do see movement in the right direction.
              The Union women's team is going to have a hard time acquiring 20 year old frosh who have the capability to be absolutely top of the line players as seniors at age 24. On the women's side almost every single player who has shown elite potential will have been identified by age 18 and will be accepting the only benefit available as a result of that elite status at the age of 18, a Division I scholarship. For right then, when they are 18.

There isn't any economic incentive (or anywhere for them to play) for 18 year old female players to not play college until they are 20. The very best North American players are just NOT going to be delaying college and entering NCAA women's programs at an advanced age.

There are no lessons to be learned for women's hockey from the well deserved success of the Union men's program.
              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                The Union women's team is going to have a hard time acquiring 20 year old frosh who have the capability to be absolutely top of the line players as seniors at age 24. On the women's side almost every single player who has shown elite potential will have been identified by age 18 and will be accepting the only benefit available as a result of that elite status at the age of 18, a Division I scholarship. For right then, when they are 18.

There isn't any economic incentive (or anywhere for them to play) for 18 year old female players to not play college until they are 20. The very best North American players are just NOT going to be delaying college and entering NCAA women's programs at an advanced age.

There are no lessons to be learned for women's hockey from the well deserved success of the Union men's program.
                There is one very important lesson that translates from the men's game to the women's game. Whether you are an 18 year old female or a 20 year old male, you still have a LOT of hockey skill development potential ahead of you, and coaching is absolutely critical at the NCAA level. There is no question at all, IMO, that the Union men's team has done an amazing job of bringing their recruits to the maximum of their potential within four years. They have recruited well, but they have developed players even better. I watched a Union men's hockey practice a few years back and was blown away by the intensity and the attention to detail. Coaching is a greatly underappreciated success factor in college hockey.

Comment

Take a look at the players leaving Union and an excellent assistant coach also leaving. Despite the absolutely excellent school it is, girls leave for a variety of "the right reasons". It's a shame. Thankfully, there are other schools that get it.

Comment

Why does nobody question the loss of two goalies for whatever reason. You are so easily lead. While Dahl conveniently was able to be used as an excuse for injuries. We all know she wasn't given a chance to develop as a starting goalie. Pincott had a wasted year as someone who had a look from Team Canada but clearly didn't resonate with team Claudia. Why would these athletes waste another year at Union despite how excellent the school is? It isn't rocket science yet people on this site would prefer to pretend otherwise because you're lazy. Last time I spend any time on this site for that reason. Total bull****.

Comment

Originally posted by schnook View Post
                      Why does nobody question the loss of two goalies for whatever reason. You are so easily lead. While Dahl conveniently was able to be used as an excuse for injuries. We all know she wasn't given a chance to develop as a starting goalie. Pincott had a wasted year as someone who had a look from Team Canada but clearly didn't resonate with team Claudia. Why would these athletes waste another year at Union despite how excellent the school is? It isn't rocket science yet people on this site would prefer to pretend otherwise because you're lazy. Last time I spend any time on this site for that reason. Total bull****.
                      Perhaps the Starting Goalie is really good! And she is

Comment

I don't think any of us care if you troll the forum or not, but just to set the record straight there are numerous threads on the forum in which the lack of success at Union is discussed and analyzed (in some cases to death). Some of that commentary focuses on coaching, some on recruiting, some on the disadvantages of not being able to offer athletic scholarships, etc. It's clear from your 6 posts that you have some connection with the Edge School and Ms. Pincott and are upset with how things went for her (which I have no insight into whatsoever), but at least do a little research prior to dissing everyone on the forum - you're the one being lazy.

Comment

I'm sure they didn't waste a year at such and excellent school such as Union. Maybe they learned something that they can use later in life outside of stopping pucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
                            I'm sure they didn't waste a year at such and excellent school such as Union. Maybe they learned something that they can use later in life outside of stopping pucks.
                            Ya. They learned how coaches lie. Despite the excellent school it truly is.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              ..... that Bennett is one heck of a coach!
                              You got that right .......
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Ya. They learned how coaches lie. Despite the excellent school it truly is.

Well with that logic, since, as you say they've "learned how coaches lie," at least they'll be prepared for it where ever they end up.

Comment

Working...
                                X