Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
    Makes sense. No disrespect and I always appreciate perseverance, but c'mon recruiting can be better than this.
    If you look back through the prior posts there are many on this thread that feel the same way.

Comment

Like the perseverance of the kid. Have to hope the best for him.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

One person's view of next year's Hockey East recruiting.
        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          One person's view of next year's Hockey East recruiting.
          Nothing to worry about!
          Lowell Forever
          Forever Lowell

Comment

We suck. Disaster. Nothing good will ever happen. We have no good recruits coming. We have no recruits coming. Anyone ever get tired of looking at what should happen and saying how bad we should be? This is a rebuilding year so we should really suck. We have no goalies who are any good. We look terrible on paper. I wonder if next years team will get the memo this years team forgot to read. It isn't about a player. It is about the system.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              We suck. Disaster. Nothing good will ever happen. We have no good recruits coming. We have no recruits coming. Anyone ever get tired of looking at what should happen and saying how bad we should be? This is a rebuilding year so we should really suck. We have no goalies who are any good. We look terrible on paper. I wonder if next years team will get the memo this years team forgot to read. It isn't about a player. It is about the system.
              Oops, I forgot. Lowell fans aren't allowed to voice opinion or concern about any aspect of the program, because doing so means you've given up on the team, think they suck and believe the coach needs to be fired. Hear that, everyone? Being anything less than 110% optimistic about Lowell hockey is an attack on Lowell hockey and won't be tolerated.

Is this a hockey discussion board or North Korea?

Stop with the asinine hyperbole and learn to deal with opinions that don't mirror your own.
              Lowell Forever
              Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                Are you saying that the system would fail if we brought in some bigger name recruits?

I don't understand this. No one is saying everything is a disaster. It actually is feasible to pay attention to the now and also keep an eye on the future.

There are SOME people that also like to see what's coming in for the future. If you don't care, then honestly, ignore this thread. As I've said, recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. It appears that Bazin basically wants the older players, and that's working, no question. But it's not like he hasn't gotten early commitments before. I (and some others) are noting that we really don't have much for the future right now. I also find it fun to see some kids commit to us, it's a different part of the program.

There are other schools (not at the BC/BU level) that have a system. They're also recruiting their style players. But they're getting commitments.

I just don't understand that sarcastic responses to something that others care about. Again, if you don't care ... then don't worry about this thread. That's why there's a separate thread.
                Monty

Comment

Are you saying that the system would fail if we brought in some bigger name recruits?

I don't understand this. No one is saying everything is a disaster. It actually is feasible to pay attention to the now and also keep an eye on the future.

There are SOME people that also like to see what's coming in for the future. If you don't care, then honestly, ignore this thread. As I've said, recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. It appears that Bazin basically wants the older players, and that's working, no question. But it's not like he hasn't gotten early commitments before. I (and some others) are noting that we really don't have much for the future right now. I also find it fun to see some kids commit to us, it's a different part of the program.

There are other schools (not at the BC/BU level) that have a system. They're also recruiting their style players. But they're getting commitments.

I just don't understand that sarcastic responses to something that others care about. Again, if you don't care ... then don't worry about this thread. That's why there's a separate thread.
                  I am not saying we would be bad if we got big recruits. TO get them would show we are getting respect, which would be nice. BC and BU have decades of tradition. No matter how incredible this team is, it will take some time for parents/players to buy in. Look at the reaction of the other fan bases. We are the longest flash the pan ever. The parents who are shopping their kids around to find where they should play grew up knowing about the 'big' teams. Consistency and tincture of time is really the only thing that will solve that IMHO..

I enjoy reading who is coming and what other people think of their talent, etc. It just seems that for all the years I have been watching it is unusual for the predictions about what a team will be like to be accurate. People say how bad it will be and then they manage to do OK for themselves. Or they are supposed to be good and YICK!. A few yrs ago they were stacked and everyone expected great things. They were awful.

I am not saying everything is perfect. After 30 yrs of watching what they look like on paper is not what they look like on ice a great deal of the time. The team has had some really talented players over the yrs who were not good team players. Some of the best teams (ours and other teams) I ever watched didn't have any amazing players but a lot of selfless players with less talent who bought in to the team ethos. Talent is good but chemistry will beat talent alone. I guess I am in a tiny minority of one in the 'wait and see rather than predict' school of thought. I will, chastened, keep my wait and see attitude to myself.

Comment

I would hate to think that better talented players want to come to lowell but they're being bypassed for the sake of a certain system... it just seems limiting.

On the other hand, it seem to take a lot for players to consider things outside of the established schools. I mean, Maine has been on, more or less, a decade long flameout and yet they bring people in.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Recruit Nick Master was named the first star tonight with a hat trick as Tri City defeated Youngstown.
                      http://ushlstats.stats.pointstreak.c...gameid=2469808

Guillaume Leclerc is on the France entry roster for the IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship DIV I GROUP B tournament. The tournament starts this weekend in Hungry. http://www.iihf.com/competition/453/statistics.html

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        I would hate to think that better talented players want to come to lowell but they're being bypassed for the sake of a certain system... it just seems limiting.

On the other hand, it seem to take a lot for players to consider things outside of the established schools. I mean, Maine has been on, more or less, a decade long flameout and yet they bring people in.
                        During the Maine game the announcers were quoting either Cavanaugh or Donato, I don't remember which one and I just deleted the game from the DVR. Anyway, they said that Lowell is like a team of clones. All roughly the same size kids who skate hard, fight for pucks, play a physical game and fully buy into the system.

Of course there are exceptions, but Lowell is recruiting to fit a mold. I don't think they'd turn down a blue chip recruit because he doesn't fit the ideal perfectly, but who knows.

On you second point, I agree. It's mindboggling that Amherst can bring in any talent, considering their track record and a coach that's doomed for the unemployment line within the next two years. Northeastern has a similar story, except they have a lot more to offer a recruit - Bean Pot, quality education, playing in Boston, etc., although their coach is equally worthless.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                          During the Maine game the announcers were quoting either Cavanaugh or Donato, I don't remember which one and I just deleted the game from the DVR. Anyway, they said that Lowell is like a team of clones. All roughly the same size kids who skate hard, fight for pucks, play a physical game and fully buy into the system.

Of course there are exceptions, but Lowell is recruiting to fit a mold. I don't think they'd turn down a blue chip recruit because he doesn't fit the ideal perfectly, but who knows.

On you second point, I agree. It's mindboggling that Amherst can bring in any talent, considering their track record and a coach that's doomed for the unemployment line within the next two years. Northeastern has a similar story, except they have a lot more to offer a recruit - Bean Pot, quality education, playing in Boston, etc., although their coach is equally worthless.
                          Just as an example, UMass has a commit from Kurt Keats, one of the top scorers in the BCHL and called up to Team Canada West.
                          Monty

Comment

Just as an example, UMass has a commit from Kurt Keats, one of the top scorers in the BCHL and called up to Team Canada West.
                            Maybe the recruit was confused about which UMass he committed to? Could happen.
                            Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                            Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                            Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Lowell had only two official visits, and both were already committed to coming here prior to the visit. I'm not well versed in the recruiting flow, so I'm not sure if official visits happen before signing, after signing, doesn't matter, etc. Both players were up for the Penn State weekend, so good thing they were already planning on coming here.

Comment

From the College Hockey Source. BCHL Hockey Report : Top Uncommitted Prospects and League Report.

Comment

Working...
                                X