Plattsburgh State Hockey 13-14 Season 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 13-14 Season 25

Plattsburgh State hosts Oswego in SUNYAC semifinals {Article courtesy of the Plattsburgh Press Republican 3/1/2014}

It’s been just seven days since Plattsburgh State last played Oswego, but the Cardinals are glad to get another chance against the Lakers.

I think a lot of guys were pretty pumped up that they did win the (quarterfinal) game (Wednesday) night,” Plattsburgh defenseman Brandon Beadow said. “It was a heartbreaking loss last week, so anytime that happens you can’t wait to get another crack at them.

After ending the regular season with a loss to its archrival, No. 2 seed Plattsburgh will host No. 3 seed Oswego again tonight in a SUNY Athletic Conference Tournament semifinal men’s hockey game at Stafford Ice Arena. The championship game will be next weekend.

Oswego (18-6-2) is the only conference team Plattsburgh (19-4-2) has not beaten this season. The teams tied 3-3 in December, and last weekend the Lakers scored with 2:32 left in the third period to grab a 4-3 win at Stafford.

“This week for us, it’s been back to the basics a little bit,” Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. “Working hard. Trying to get some dirty goals. And then puck management and possession in our own end is important, too.”

The Lakers reached tonight’s game by defeating No. 6 seed Fredonia 3-2 on Wednesday. Matt Zawadzki, who entered in the second period last Saturday and earned the victory, got the start against the Blue Devils. Oswego has won its last three games, all by a one-goal margin.

The Lakers were 2-for-3 on the power play and perfect on the penalty kill against Plattsburgh last week. Emery also credited them for being strong on the rush and keeping the Cardinals from getting second chances in front of the net.

Both Emery and Beadow said Plattsburgh played well in that game but will need to be a little better this time.

I was happy with our effort, but we can’t be giving up four goals,” Emery said.

Like last Saturday, the Cardinals will be without defenseman Patrick Hermans and forward Dakota Mason, who are both injured.

Plattsburgh and Oswego are accustomed to meeting in the SUNYAC playoffs, although the last two years it has been in the championship game. The Cardinals won the final two years ago, and the Lakers prevailed last season.

Beadow said the rivalry is so intense that there’s not much difference between regular-season games and playoff contests.

“Anytime, whether it’s the third game of the season or the semifinals of the SUNYAC championship, it’s a playoff game,” Beadow said. “So we kinda know what to expect.”

Both teams will be fighting to keep their seasons alive. Oswego is eighth in the NCAA East Regional Rankings. After last week’s loss, the Cardinals dropped a spot to third, and a setback this week could keep them out of the NCAA playoffs.

“I think right now our chances are kind of limited if we do not win this weekend’s game, so I think basically most of our focus is on Oswego this weekend,” Beadow said. “Pretty much do-or-die hockey right now.”

Email Courtney Lewis:clewis@pressrepublican.com Twitter: @sportsCourt

CARDINAL Q&A To watch this week's Cardinal Q&A video featuring Brandon Beadow, visit pressrepublican.com. And for updates from today's game, follow @sportsCourt on Twitter.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Can someone tell me when you have to get in line to buy a ticket for the Plattsburgh/Oswego game or is it already too late?
      2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
      2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
        Can someone tell me when you have to get in line to buy a ticket for the Plattsburgh/Oswego game or is it already too late?
        I was over that way about an hour ago and it didn't seem like there were many people there.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawk View Post
          only about 25 of us so far
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
            I have a three seats for sale just in front of the press box (right/ladder side) - starts at the aisle - - post if interested.
            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
              I have a three seats for sale just in front of the press box (right/ladder side) - starts at the aisle - - post if interested.
              Thanks for the offer but I have tickets to Norwich/Castleton, however, I would much rather be watching Plattsburgh/Oswego which has to be the D3 game of the weekend. If Norwich wasn't playing I would be there.

I follow Plattsburgh hockey but could someone tell me why Plattsburgh struggled toward the end of the season. When they played Norwich in Northfield they looked like one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country and now I see there regional rating has dropped below Norwich. Having the first or second best goaltender in the east has to help in tonights game. If Norwich internet was fast enough I would bring my tablet and keep tabs on both games.
              2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
              2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Will Ryan Farnan be playing or did he get a DQ in the last Oz game?
                http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                  Will Ryan Farnan be playing or did he get a DQ in the last Oz game?
                  Collegehockeystats lists it as a misconduct, so it's in Emery's hands.
                  Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                  A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                  A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                  A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                  Some National Championships:
                  Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                  Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Best of luck, Cards tonight. We'll all be the 7th player and will be cheering you on. GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

There is still hope for a Pool C bid for the Cardinals, although everything would have to fall into place. St. Norbert, St. Thomas, Norwich, Trinity would all have to win their tournament. Adrian & loser of Geneseo/Oswego will get the other. The third Pool C is still up for grabs at that point and would likely be either Plattsburgh or Babson.

I see Plattsburgh with a very slight edge over Babson but I doubt they would take 3 SUNYAC teams so it's anyone's guess. If we don't get it, no one to blame but ourselves. We had two cracks at Oswego in our barn and couldn't get it done. Very tough way to end what looked like a very promising season. But at least we can still watch next weekend's games with some interest.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                        There is still hope for a Pool C bid for the Cardinals, although everything would have to fall into place. St. Norbert, St. Thomas, Norwich, Trinity would all have to win their tournament. Adrian & loser of Geneseo/Oswego will get the other. The third Pool C is still up for grabs at that point and would likely be either Plattsburgh or Babson.

I see Plattsburgh with a very slight edge over Babson but I doubt they would take 3 SUNYAC teams so it's anyone's guess. If we don't get it, no one to blame but ourselves. We had two cracks at Oswego in our barn and couldn't get it done. Very tough way to end what looked like a very promising season. But at least we can still watch next weekend's games with some interest.
                        Loser of Norwich / Babson gets golf clubs if Oswego does not win the SUNYAC? Hmmmm....
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Seems like such a waste. They have the goaltender to win it all, but they pick this year to be undisciplined and penalty prone. The second goal was the direct result of turnover number 10,000 for the year. This one happened five feet away from the crease. The Cardinals seem to have gotten what they deserved in that third period. I feel bad for the seniors to (seemingly) end their careers this way. Hopefully the returning players will leave the season with a horrible taste in their mouths and come back next year with a chip on their shoulders. Could the departure of Steve Moffat affected the team more than we knew?
                          Steve
                          Penn State Class of '95
                          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Oswego ends Cardinals' bid {Article courtesy of the Plattsburgh Press Republican 3/2/2014}

With about 1:30 left in Saturday’s game, there was a prolonged scramble in front of Oswego’s net — Plattsburgh State trying desperately to score the game-tying goal, the Lakers desperately trying to keep the puck out of the net.

The puck stayed out.

No. 3 seed Oswego tallied two goals in the third period and survived Plattsburgh’s frantic push at the end for a 2-1 men’s hockey victory in a SUNY Athletic Conference Tournament semifinal game at Stafford Ice Arena.

No. 2 seed Plattsburgh (19-5-2) took a lead into the third, and senior captain Nick Jensen had a simple explanation for what happened in the final frame.

“We didn’t play Cardinal hockey,” he said. “Oswego played the best in the first, we came back in the second and we didn’t play our game in the third.”

The Lakers (19-6-2) will face Geneseo in the championship game next week. The Cardinals were eliminated from the conference tournament, and coach Bob Emery said he doesn’t think they have a chance at receiving an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

I just think that we didn’t find ways to win this year. I don’t think our locker room was that good this year,” Emery said. “We gotta start by cleaning up our locker room, there’s no doubt about that. We’ve got a lot of good kids; there was just something wrong with the chemistry of the team all year long.”

Plattsburgh took two penalties in the first six minutes of the third period, and on the second one, its penalty kill finally gave way. The Cardinals had gone 4-for-4 on the kill, but when the puck bounced to Mike Montagna, who stood all alone to the left of the net, he one-timed it to knot the score at 1-1.

Just under four minutes later, Josh Timpano stuffed in the puck from in close for his first collegiate goal. The freshman was playing in just his eighth game.

I would say for us, just being resilient,” Oswego coach Ed Gosek said, summing up his team’s performance. “Even after two periods being down, I thought our guys played well.

Plattsburgh pulled its goalie with about a minute left and put pressure on Oswego. In the waning seconds, Michael Radisa whiffed on a shot in the slot and Jensen put the puck on net only to be stoned by Matt Zawadzki. When the horn sounded, several Cardinals skated into their zone bent over at the waist while the Lakers celebrated at the other end.

Zawadzi made 31 saves in what Gosek called the freshman’s best game of the season.

Mathieu Cadieux turned away 23 shots in Plattsburgh’s net. Alex Jensen gave the Cardinals a lead 2:49 into the second period during a power play.

The rest of the SUNYAC combined for one win and one tie against Plattsburgh this season, but Oswego faired much better. The Lakers managed a tie at home and then won at Stafford two weeks in a row.

The Cardinals, who were ranked No. 1 in Division III at one point this season, went unbeaten in the first semester and did not lose a conference game until Jan. 31.

We had one of the most talented teams in the country, but talent doesn’t win hockey games. Heart does,” Emery said. “We gotta get a little bit more heart, a little more dedication and a little bit more leadership going forward with the talent.

Oswego 2, Plattsburgh 1

Oswego 0 0 2 — 2

Plattsburgh 0 1 0 — 1

First period- Penalties: Titanic, Osw (hooking), 4:30. Brenton, PSU (roughing), 17:41.

Second period- 1, PSU, A. Jensen (Emmerling, Fox), 2:49 (pp). Penalties: Scott, Osw (holding), 1:51. Roytman, PSU (tripping), 4:58. Kaye, PSU (tripping), 10:32.

Third period- 3, Osw, Montagna (Titanic, Rivait), 6:24. 4, Osw, Timpano (Barton), 10:15. Penalties: Fox, PSU (hooking), 0:51. King, Osw (boarding), 4:01. Fox, PSU (interference), 5:54.

Shots on goal:

Oswego 7 10 8 — 25

Plattsburgh 9 12 11 — 32

Goaltenders (shots-saves): Zawadzki, Osw, 32-31. Cadieux, PSU, 25-23.

Power play (goals-opportunities): Oswego 1-5, Plattsburgh 1-3.

Attendance: 1,642.

Email Courtney Lewis:clewis@pressrepublican.com Twitter: @sportsCourt
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

• Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                              There is still hope for a Pool C bid for the Cardinals, although everything would have to fall into place. St. Norbert, St. Thomas, Norwich, Trinity would all have to win their tournament. Adrian & loser of Geneseo/Oswego will get the other.
                              The loser of Genny/Oswego gets a Pool C? Not likely. If Oswego wins, then Geneseo could get a Pool C. If Genny wins, Oswego is done. They've lost to too many mediocre teams this year and there are too many other more qualified teams to get that slot. But that room gets awfully smoky, so who knows.

Comment

“I just think that we didn’t find ways to win this year. I don’t think our locker room was that good this year,” Emery said. “We gotta start by cleaning up our locker room, there’s no doubt about that. We’ve got a lot of good kids; there was just something wrong with the chemistry of the team all year long.”

With comments like that, he might just get his wish......

Comment

Working...
                                X