Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey support in Georgia

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    The only way UGA goes D-I without at least five other SEC schools going D-I is if Georgia Tech does it. Neither scenario is going to happen, unless Nick Saban suddenly decides to coach a varsity ice program at ALABAMA, and God help us if that happens.

GFM
    no, i agree it'd take a lot... but 2500 is not too small for D1
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
      Absolutely not. Union College's home rink seats only 2504 and they knocked off the nation's #1 team, St. Cloud, last night. Sounds pretty successful to me.

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the NC$$ set 5,000 as a minimum seating requirement for new D1 facilities some years back, thereby effectively grandfathering existing smaller facilities. In any event, 2,500 is a waste of time, effort, and money for a school the size of UGA if it has any thoughts at all about eventually establishing a D1 program.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the NC$$ set 5,000 as a minimum seating requirement for new D1 facilities some years back, thereby effectively grandfathering existing smaller facilities. In any event, 2,500 is a waste of time, effort, and money for a school the size of UGA if it has any thoughts at all about eventually establishing a D1 program.
          No. Even then that's not necessarily a reasonable starting point. I think 4000 is plenty reasonable, I mean, look at Miami
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            Sorry, I stepped all over you on that point. I agree that a small rink would be acceptable, and I'll even argue that it's a good idea for a Southern school. The facility would have to have multiple uses, of course, but if you design it for that, it'd be usable if/when you outgrew it. If I won Mega Millions and bought UAH a rink, I wouldn't build it bigger than 4,000. It looks like we'll keep on having the VBC for events bigger than that.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

The town near the University of Georgia is in the veeeery early discussion stages of a 6,000 seat arena for hockey and concerts. This is not part of a university plan and no one mentioned the team going D1. It's still interesting and at least worth keeping an eye on.

New Arena for Georgia Hockey in the Early Planning Stages

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/h...b237b8e4c.html

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                The town near the University of Georgia is in the veeeery early discussion stages of a 6,000 seat arena for hockey and concerts. This is not part of a university plan and no one mentioned the team going D1. It's still interesting and at least worth keeping an eye on.

New Arena for Georgia Hockey in the Early Planning Stages

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/h...b237b8e4c.html
                My daughter is a sophomore at UGA, so I'm somewhat of a fan. But if UGA gets a new 6,000 seat arena for hockey, when UVM has been unsuccessfully attempting to do the same for 20+ years, I'm going to cry, then whine, and then cry some more!

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                  ...if UGA gets a new 6,000 seat arena for hockey...
                  Unless it is somehow slipped into the budget as a football indoor practice facility with ice making capability, not likely to happen. Just ask Arizona State...
                  Georgia could ask for a new 20,000 seat stadium solely for the kickers, punters and long snappers to practice in and they would get it in a heart beat. Any other sport getting funds, good luck.
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    ...Georgia could ask for a new 20,000 seat stadium solely for the kickers, punters and long snappers to practice in and they would get it in a heart beat. Any other sport getting funds, good luck...
                    Absolutely spot on! Georgia and most of Power-5 institutions (hello, Illinois) could have hockey in a relatively short time if they would just divert a sliver of their football profits as seed money. But absolutely nobody at the Big Football schools would dare offend the football gods. Case in point: Alabama just announced $600 million (yep....nine digits) for capital improvements to its already platinum-plated football and bouncyball facilities. But nary a dime for anything else. And BTW, the Georgia situation is not exactly news. It has been a discussion topic in the Athens area for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      Absolutely spot on! Georgia and most of Power-5 institutions (hello, Illinois) could have hockey in a relatively short time if they would just divert a sliver of their football profits as seed money. But absolutely nobody at the Big Football schools would dare offend the football gods. Case in point: Alabama just announced $600 million (yep....nine digits) for capital improvements to its already platinum-plated football and bouncyball facilities. But nary a dime for anything else. And BTW, the Georgia situation is not exactly news. It has been a discussion topic in the Athens area for several years.
                      Alabama needs to spend $600M on capital improvements for football so they can continue to show on paper that they operate their athletic department at or near a loss, which allows them to continue to justify not paying their employees.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        ...which allows them to continue to justify not paying their employees.
                        Well, other than the football head coach, who almost makes more than all of the university faculty... combined.
                        Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Well, other than the football head coach, who almost makes more than all of the university faculty... combined.
                          Boosters pay his salary, not the State. Skip to pg. 42 of his this online PDF for his old contract: http://www.documentcloud.org/documen...contracts.html — his salaries are outlined on pp. 46-47.

I'm not saying that it's right, though!

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Boosters pay his salary, not the State...I'm not saying that it's right, though!
                            Ha!! Boosters run that entire university. Same can be said of several other Power-5 "Football First" institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Ha!! Boosters run that entire university. Same can be said of several other Power-5 "Football First" institutions.
                              Lord, don't I know it.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Voters approved funding for a new 5,500 seat multipurpose arena capable of supporting hockey. No details yet of any kind of timeline. Still no talk of D1, just how beneficial it will be for a club team. I think this would permanently add the University of Georgia to the “adding hockey soon” rumor mill though.

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/p...27230b725.html

Comment

Working...
                                X