Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marathon Killers Apprehended: the Aftermath

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    I don't think so, anyone with a green card is permanent resident as I understand it. I'm guessing the 6 month rule is judgement call of ICE official.?
    Didn't he become a US citizen last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Didn't he become a US citizen last year?
      The younger one did. Apparently the older one was not.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        I don't have a link, but registrations for local races have skyrocketed in the past week. One race, the Fifth-Third River Bank Run in Grand Rapids (MI), has seen 500 new registrations alone.
        A local shoe store here does a pub run 5K every Tuesday at 6. At least 300 people showed up for this last one.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Of course it's not over, the NWO is just beginning!!!!!!!

Signed,
          FlagDude
          a
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I swear I'm not making this up. CNN reports

Neil Diamond leads Fenway crowd in song: "Good times never seemed so good!"

Comment

Surprised there's no discussion on here of the tizzy CNN (and presumably others?) were in this morning over the whole Miranda Rights non-issue. Let DHS get all the anti-terrorism info they can first to protect the public from future attacks, then worry about convicting the guy in custody. Why is that so hard to understand?
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Well was that the quote or not
                The, "This is our ****in' city" part was.

Like I said, NESN missed it, which is great.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                I swear I'm not making this up. CNN reports Neil Diamond...
                He was there and was on the field during the 8th inning stretch (middle of the 8th) singing something, but we had the volume down coz we were listening to other music.

Don't usually care one way or the other about the Sawx, but glad they won today and it was a good game to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Surprised there's no discussion on here of the tizzy CNN (and presumably others?) were in this morning over the whole Miranda Rights non-issue. Let DHS get all the anti-terrorism info they can first to protect the public from future attacks, then worry about convicting the guy in custody. Why is that so hard to understand?

The press has behaved like clowns through this whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Neil Diamond is in the Fenway audience. Applaud or run for your lives?
                    Yes
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      Not to mention the fact that they've got video tape of him planting the bomb, among other things. He can hire Clarence Darrow or Johnny Cochran, a jury's gonna punch him out in a heartbeat. From the standpoint of prosecution, they don't need a statement.

Any impulse to go easy (ie, no hot shot) will be vitiated by the video of him planting a bomb just a few feet away from Martin Richard. Done. Gone. Get the rope.

The direct answer to your question is: this is an outbreak of Jack McCoy Syndrome.
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 04-20-2013, 03:58 PM.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        The press has behaved like clowns through this whole thing.
                        My personal favorite moment came yesterday when Pete Williams (a really good reporter who was outed when he worked in the Reagan Administration) explained twice what a flash bang grenade is. It's hard to think of something whose function is explained any better than its name. Flash, bang. Got it.

It's very hard to fill all that time. Yesterday, for instance, you had an enormous law enforcement convergence on the house, with reports of massive gun fire. Then, a long period of speculation and guess work. Where, for instance, Pete Williams twice explained what a flash bang grenade was (not how it's employed, but what it does). Everyone assumed what was going down. But you had all that chatter filling up the time 'till somebody announced Thing 2 had been captured. I've said before, it's editing on the fly. Print media don't have this problem. They have a deadline. And they keep correcting the mistaken information leading up to it. If electronic media only had an evening newscast (like in the old days) the mistakes and misinformation would be eliminated. Or at least substantially reduced.

You add in the pressures of competition and the ruthless ambition of some of these folks and it's a recipe for inaccuracy. In a column today, Jonah Goldberg put some blame at the feet of the "law enforcement sources" who fed inaccurate information to the media. Law enforcement has what's called Qualified Privilege. If the cops tell you somebody did something, then as far as a reporter and his outlet is concerned, the guy did it. Thus, you would write: "Police say they've arrested the bomber" instead of "Police say they've arrested the alleged bomber. As Goldberg points out, you assume these reporters weren't just making sh*t up. So if you're reporting on the biggest story in years, and a cop tells you "we've arrested a suspect," what do you do? You report it, that's what you do.
                        Last edited by Old Pio; 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

My favorite part was when the media said that "everyone is a Red Sox fan today" and I thought to myself, "Now, let's not go THAT far."
                          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                            My favorite part was when the media said that "everyone is a Red Sox fan today" and I thought to myself, "Now, let's not go THAT far."
                            Pretty trivial. It's part of that impulse I mentioned yesterday where anchor after anchor, over and over and over, expressed sympathy, empathy, concern, understanding, blah, blah, blah for the various people they were interviewing. What's the alternative? Absent any evidence to the contrary, I think we're justified in assuming these people were working through the same emotions as the rest of us. But their professionalism and dedication to the job helped them focus on doing that job.

Famous video of Walter Cronkite, from 11/22/63, announcing that JFK had died (looking up at a clock) half an hour ago (or whatever it was). He puts his glasses back on, and there's a momentary catch in his throat, then begins to talk about what LBJ is up to. His GD job was to keep it together. He didn't have the luxury of collapsing in a puddle on the newsroom floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBMs8JlYcgQ
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 04-20-2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              Pretty trivial. It's part of that impulse I mentioned yesterday where anchor after anchor, over and over and over, expressed sympathy, empathy, concern, understanding, blah, blah, blah for the various people they were interviewing. What's the alternative? Absent any evidence to the contrary, I think we're justified in assuming these people were working through the same emotions as the rest of us. But their professionalism and dedication to the job helped them focus on doing that job.

Famous video of Walter Cronkite, from 11/22/63, announcing that JFK had died (looking up at a clock) half an hour ago (or whatever it was). He puts his glasses back on, and there's a momentary catch in his throat, then begins to talk about what LBJ is up to. His GD job was to keep it together. He didn't have the luxury of collapsing in a puddle on the newsroom floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBMs8JlYcgQ
                              i think you older folks benefitted from the fact there were a limited number of 'jobs' back then. now with a gazillion networks and news channels the talent pool has to search in the shallower end.
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                i think you older folks benefitted from the fact there were a limited number of 'jobs' back then. now with a gazillion networks and news channels the talent pool has to search in the shallower end.
                                Good news, bad news for sure. The bad news is as you described it. The good news is that with a multiplicity of outlets, the kind of smearing that the networks used to engage in (CBS suggesting Barry Goldwater was going to Bavaria to link up with neo-Nazis, for instance) wouldn't go unchallenged today.

Forget the internet for a moment. Just recall that in the old days, the overwhelming majority of Americans had as their principal source of news 3 half hour broadcasts from the networks every night (at the same time). The executive producers, assignments editors and anchors of those newscasts were all based in the same city. And all read the NYT as their first order of business every day. No diversity of opinion there. Warts and all, I think we're much better off in terms of getting the story out than we've ever been. But we need to be smart consumers of the product(s).
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 04-20-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X