Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puter Help... I hate these **** machines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puter Help... I hate these **** machines!

I'm running Mozilla 19 (or whatever the latest version is) and it's acting up... It loads up fine, but I can't navigate to anything other than my homepage... I type in a web address and hit enter and nothing happens... Same thing when I choose a website from my "Bookmarks" list or the "Favorite" buttons just below the browser bar...

Tried rebooting the PC, tried closing/reopening Mozilla several times as well... Only thing that works is choosing a "Bookmarked" page or "Favorite" button, right clicking, and choosing "open in new tab"... If a site isn't in those areas it seems that I can't access it at the moment... Any insight
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Re: Puter Help... I hate these **** machines!

Get a Mac

But really: You said you've restarted the computer, and then reopened Mozilla multiple times. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Mozilla?
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

If you don't want to uninstall/reinstall Firefox or it doesn't work try:
      Click Help --> Troubleshooting Information
      or
      Type about:support into the web address bar

Once here, Click the Reset Firefox button. This will hopefully fix whatever the issue is.
      Last edited by Dirty; 02-23-2013, 06:36 PM.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

When in doubt, delete cache and reset. Then uninstall/reinstall.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Question: the wireless internet on my laptop will not hold a signal. I have tried restarting the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting, repairing the connection, etc, only to be met with "limited or no connectivity." The computer is an IBM Thinkpad and it's from 2005. Also, the in-house internet is DSL from Frontier, so I don't know whether it's the computer or the network itself. What can I do to stay connected?
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
            Question: the wireless internet on my laptop will not hold a signal. I have tried restarting the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting, repairing the connection, etc, only to be met with "limited or no connectivity." The computer is an IBM Thinkpad and it's from 2005. Also, the in-house internet is DSL from Frontier, so I don't know whether it's the computer or the network itself. What can I do to stay connected?
            Unplug the router, wait 10 seconds. Plug it in again.

If that fails, delete the network and readd it. Don't know why, but it works, especially if you're in hotels that may have the same network name but are 100's of miles apart.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

If that fails, delete the network and readd it. Don't know why, but it works, especially if you're in hotels that may have the same network name but are 100's of miles apart.
              And if all else fails, I hear there's internet out Californee-way.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

The unplug trick worked. I'm still thinking of buying a new computer, though... this one is a dinosaur. The CD-R drive is still jammed shut, the screen is shot (plugged into a monitor so I can use it at all), and the wireless card is old. I'm thinking a new laptop will suffice... all I use a computer for now is internet and music. And I have a 500 gb external hard drive, so I can load all my music.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Recently bought an inexpensive Dell Inspiron notebook, primarily for use as a source for music integrated into an audio / home theater system. Supplied new with 4GB memory card...expandable to 8GB. I've never cracked the case on any PC...desktop or notebook, but I want to upgrade to the 8GB memory. A little research and it looks like a fairly simple procedure. Just access the memory card port...or whatever, remove the original and the new card pretty much snaps right in...in place of. Anyone have experience with replacement or upgrade of a memory card? Is it that simple...or anything else I need to know?

The 8GB card...Dell wants $150.00. Anyplace online I might buy one for less?

Thanks!
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

It is that simple. Just be careful installing the new RAM chips, and you need to be gentle yet force them in. [Insert joke here]

Obviously, don't do it will the laptop running or plugged in.

And try Newegg.com for a better price.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      It is that simple. Just be careful installing the new RAM chips, and you need to be gentle yet force them in. [Insert joke here]

Obviously, don't do it will the laptop running or plugged in.

And try Newegg.com for a better price.
                      Or Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                        Recently bought an inexpensive Dell Inspiron notebook, primarily for use as a source for music integrated into an audio / home theater system. Supplied new with 4GB memory card...expandable to 8GB. I've never cracked the case on any PC...desktop or notebook, but I want to upgrade to the 8GB memory. A little research and it looks like a fairly simple procedure. Just access the memory card port...or whatever, remove the original and the new card pretty much snaps right in...in place of. Anyone have experience with replacement or upgrade of a memory card? Is it that simple...or anything else I need to know?

The 8GB card...Dell wants $150.00. Anyplace online I might buy one for less?

Thanks!
                        Never done it on a laptop, but it is that simple on desktops. As long as the memory is readily accessible, I'd imagine it's just as simple for laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Never done it on a laptop, but it is that simple on desktops. As long as the memory is readily accessible, I'd imagine it's just as simple for laptops.
                          It's even easier in a laptop. Manufacturers have taken to locating the memory sticks under the battery compartment.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Tried the 8GB RAM card upgrade today. No go. RAM card (PNY) installed easy as pie as advised here by several. Turn on the notebook and all I get is an alarm of two loud beeps...pause...two loud beeps...repeating. Reinstall the original 4GB RAM card and PC works just fine.

Back to Best Buy to return the PNY RAM. Guess I'll have to buy the 8GB card from Dell at a $30.00 premium over other brands.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              Tried the 8GB RAM card upgrade today. No go. RAM card (PNY) installed easy as pie as advised here by several. Turn on the notebook and all I get is an alarm of two loud beeps...pause...two loud beeps...repeating. Reinstall the original 4GB RAM card and PC works just fine.

Back to Best Buy to return the PNY RAM. Guess I'll have to buy the 8GB card from Dell at a $30.00 premium over other brands.
                              It should have been a no brainer. Does it have 2 slots? It may want 2 4GB cards.

Otherwise, blame the communists.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X