The thread for birds and birding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The thread for birds and birding

The sources say that you can tell a catbird by its call. Sounds just like a cat except you can tell it's a bird.

The eggs have hatched. Saw a nice vignette this morning. The [presumably] male bird flies to the edge of the nest and puts food in the female's mouth, which she then transfers to the young under her.

Separately, saw a yellow finch this evening. They flit around but I only see them infrequently.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I am a bit frustrated. I put out mealworms trying to attract new birds. Nothing really seemed to go after them. They finally did disappear though I dont think it was anything new taking them. I did have them mixed in with sunflower and wonder if that affected things. Now I have them out alone in a tray. Hopefully I get something new with them. I am still trying to decide if I want to put out grape jelly for orioles. I am still trying to get species #30 for the year. I have been stuck on #29 for a while now.

I wish I could get a picture of it, but I have a terrible camera so I will just describe it. I have what I refer to as a vulture cardinal. Haha. He is a normal looking cardinal except he has no feathers on his head at all. I am under the impression that it may be a juvenile who is molting but I have seen him for a few weeks now and there is no difference in head feathers...or lack thereof. He seems to be in good health, flying around ok and eating plenty of seed. Just kind of funny looking, though when he gets wet in the rain its more creepy looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
        I wish I could get a picture of it, but I have a terrible camera so I will just describe it. I have what I refer to as a vulture cardinal. Haha. He is a normal looking cardinal except he has no feathers on his head at all. I am under the impression that it may be a juvenile who is molting but I have seen him for a few weeks now and there is no difference in head feathers...or lack thereof. He seems to be in good health, flying around ok and eating plenty of seed. Just kind of funny looking, though when he gets wet in the rain its more creepy looking.
        Could it be an immature Summer Tanager? They have no tuft on their head, their coloring is red, and coloring varies when molting. They are within your range in Southern Illinois.

Immature
        *****http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/4542177704_551cba14df_o_RolandoChavez_AABEdit.jpg******

Male
        *****http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/5799524679_cc76e7a347_o_reddirtpics_AABEdit.jpg******

Female
        *****http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/summer_tanager_aliiyoob.jpg******
        NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
          Could it be an immature Summer Tanager? They have no tuft on their head, their coloring is red, and coloring varies when molting. They are within your range in Southern Illinois.

Immature
          *****http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/4542177704_551cba14df_o_RolandoChavez_AABEdit.jpg******

Male
          *****http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/5799524679_cc76e7a347_o_reddirtpics_AABEdit.jpg******

Female
          *****http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/summer_tanager_aliiyoob.jpg******
          No. Its definetly (100% certain) a cardinal. When I say no feathers, I mean from like the neck up, not just the absence of a crest.

Check out this link: http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek030701.html if you go down towards the bottom (just above postscript #4) that is what my cardinal looks like. Sounds like he may have a mite that is causing it.
          Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

No. Its definetly (100% certain) a cardinal. When I say no feathers, I mean from like the neck up, not just the absence of a crest.

Check out this link: http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek030701.html if you go down towards the bottom (just above postscript #4) that is what my cardinal looks like. Sounds like he may have a mite that is causing it.
            Interesting.

Is the Summer Tanager a species you would see in your part of Illinois?

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
              Interesting.

Is the Summer Tanager a species you would see in your part of Illinois?
              The Summer looks like we would be right on the northern edge of their summer range (though they apparently go all the way to northern Missouri, the maps I am seeing show them barely in the southern tip of Illinois). I have personally never seen one. We could potentially have scarlet tanagers (very similar except the males will have solid black wings and tail). I have seen flocks of scarlets, but this was in the UP of Michigan at the Mackinaw (quite a few birds cross that area going north) where we went birding for my summer ornithology course at LSSU.

I have a brown thrasher hanging around today taking seeds and insects from the ground. Along with him today so far: goldfinch (male), house finches, mourning doves, downy woodpecker, red bellied woodpecker, ruby throated hummingbird, cardinals, bluejays, white breasted nuthatch and carolina wrens.

Comment

We had a Red-bellied Woodpecker at the feeder Tuesday AM. Second time this Spring. Pretty good yard bird for manchVegas. Also had two Peregrine Falcons in downtown manch over the weekend at the NH Armory building and a Bald Eagle in Hooksett at the Home Depot parking lot.

Comment

There are some monk parakeets in our area that I see and hear from time to time. One might very well ask, "what are mok parakeets doing in coastal Connecticut?", which is an excellent question!

I've heard various stories, one of which is that they were blown here by a big storm and decided to stay, another in which a breeder brought them here illegally and they escaped and decided to stay.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    There are some monk parakeets in our area that I see and hear from time to time. One might very well ask, "what are mok parakeets doing in coastal Connecticut?", which is an excellent question!

I've heard various stories, one of which is that they were blown here by a big storm and decided to stay, another in which a breeder brought them here illegally and they escaped and decided to stay.
                    Any number of scenarios is possible.

CarlS- I love the woodpeckers. Some of my favorite birds to have at feeders. Also, you should check out the webcam I posted earlier in the thread of the Peregrine nest box in Ft Wayne Indiana (not far from where I grew up

Edit: here is the link: http://www.aep.com/environment/falconcam/ It looks like the camera may have gotten pushed over to the side and is viewing away from the box. Not sure. might still catch a closeup glimpse of them coming or going.

Comment

Rarely get a chance to ride the train during the day, usually it's either early in the morning or late in the evening.

Yesterday afternoon, looking out the window as the train was passing through a saltwater marsh, saw not one but two white egrets.

Comment

Moving next week and I have stopped filling my feeders for about a week. Never got a 30th confirmed species

Thought I would share the full final list:

Carolina Wren
                        White Breasted Nuthatch
                        Red Breasted Nuthatch
                        Cardinal
                        White throated sparrow
                        White Crowned sparrow
                        House sparrow
                        House finch
                        Purple finch
                        Goldfinch
                        Tufted Titmouse
                        Red Bellied Woodpecker
                        Downy Woodpecker
                        Dark eyed junco
                        Bluejay
                        Grackle
                        Starling
                        Red Wing blackbird
                        Brown headed cowbird
                        Morning dove
                        Eastern Towhee
                        Northern Mockingbird
                        Hairy woodpecker
                        Brown Thrasher
                        Carolina Chickadee
                        Rose Breasted Grosbeak
                        Ruby throated hummingbird
                        Indigo bunting
                        Gray catbird

29 species. Could have had a 30th (or more) for all I know. These were just the 29 species that I saw. Moving to Indiana for what I hope to be a short while as I pursue a permanent job somewhere. Once I land said job I hope to get feeders back up and see what I can get.

Comment

Moving next week and I have stopped filling my feeders for about a week. Never got a 30th confirmed species

Thought I would share the full final list:

Carolina Wren
                          White Breasted Nuthatch
                          Red Breasted Nuthatch
                          Cardinal
                          White throated sparrow
                          White Crowned sparrow
                          House sparrow
                          House finch
                          Purple finch
                          Goldfinch
                          Tufted Titmouse
                          Red Bellied Woodpecker
                          Downy Woodpecker
                          Dark eyed junco
                          Bluejay
                          Grackle
                          Starling
                          Red Wing blackbird
                          Brown headed cowbird
                          Morning dove
                          Eastern Towhee
                          Northern Mockingbird
                          Hairy woodpecker
                          Brown Thrasher
                          Carolina Chickadee
                          Rose Breasted Grosbeak
                          Ruby throated hummingbird
                          Indigo bunting
                          Gray catbird

29 species. Could have had a 30th (or more) for all I know. These were just the 29 species that I saw. Moving to Indiana for what I hope to be a short while as I pursue a permanent job somewhere. Once I land said job I hope to get feeders back up and see what I can get.
                          No Robins in Southern Illinois?

Comment

saw a woodpecker the other day with a black throat and red head. Hear them fairly often, rarely see one though.

Comment

I've never really counted robins. They don't really come to feeders and seed. I mean, I saw them in my yard plenty but never anywhere near feeders. The thrasher for example was picking up seed that I had scattered on the ground. Same with the towhee.

Comment

Had a kestrel take a gray catbird from under one of my feeders on Sunday. One happy bird, one sad bird.
                                Originally posted by mookie1995
                                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Working...
                                X