The thread for birds and birding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The thread for birds and birding

Check out USFWS_Migratory Birds on Facebook. Lots of cool bird stuff. (no I don't work for the USFWS...I just like birds a lot; I'm a fish culturist)

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
      Check out USFWS_Migratory Birds on Facebook. Lots of cool bird stuff. (no I don't work for the USFWS...I just like birds a lot; I'm a fish culturist)
      What's a fish culturist, Proud?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
        What's a fish culturist, Proud?
        Aquaculture...ie fish farming. On a public scale it's state and/or federal fish hatcheries that raise fish to stock in waterways for sport fishing or for species restoration. Private hatcheries raise fish to stock in private waters (like farm ponds) but may also help stock public waters. Many private hatcheries also raise fish to adult size destined for the dinner table. I'm in that last group. I work as a fish health technician for the worlds largest producer of rainbow trout. I'm responsible for monitoring fish health at my farm from the time the tach until the time they go to our processing plant.

Comment

Wow!

We just saw an eagle!

Sitting on a branch of a tree next door.

Not a common sight in this area, to say the least.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Even more wow!

We saw a second eagle!

The first one had a white head, the second a brown one, and was perched on a branch eating a fish. Then they were both in the same tree together.

If this turns out to be a mating pair and they settle near here, that would be amazing.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              Even more wow!

We saw a second eagle!

The first one had a white head, the second a brown one, and was perched on a branch eating a fish. Then they were both in the same tree together.

If this turns out to be a mating pair and they settle near here, that would be amazing.
              Assuming they're both bald eagles (and if you saw a bald and a golden sitting together in the same tree - quadruple wow!), then I'm pretty sure the brown head is a juvenile, not a female. It can take up to 5 years for them to reach full maturity, so chances are they bred years ago someplace else.

Where do you live?
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Assuming they're both bald eagles (and if you saw a bald and a golden sitting together in the same tree - quadruple wow!), then I'm pretty sure the brown head is a juvenile, not a female. It can take up to 5 years for them to reach full maturity, so chances are they bred years ago someplace else.

Where do you live?
                Central coastal Connecticut, between New Haven and Rhode Island. We'd seen eagles in the wild when we lived in Wyoming (one actually flew alongside us for about 100 yards eight feet off the ground, totally off the charts wow!), but this is the first time I've seen them here.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Central coastal Connecticut, between New Haven and Rhode Island. We'd seen eagles in the wild when we lived in Wyoming (one actually flew alongside us for about 100 yards eight feet off the ground, totally off the charts wow!), but this is the first time I've seen them here.
                  Go down to a local landfill, they will often live close to those places as rats will live in them. There's a landfill in Burnsville, just south of the Minnesota River is where the landfill is located. Along the southern side of the landfill is a bald eagle haven. The eagles can be seen soaring some 100 ft above the mounds, and then swooping down every so often.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

How Birds Count: Interesting N Y Times video.
                    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

My winter time neighbors (and the local aerial apex predators) are back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_horned_owl
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Go down to a local landfill, they will often live close to those places as rats will live in them. There's a landfill in Burnsville, just south of the Minnesota River is where the landfill is located. Along the southern side of the landfill is a bald eagle haven. The eagles can be seen soaring some 100 ft above the mounds, and then swooping down every so often.
                        Normally if I want to see bald eagles I'll look at Garrison Dam in western ND. They tend to soar the tail waters there.

However, the most recent one I've seen was near a bridge over the Red River on the south edge of Fargo. I've also seen one soaring over I-29 about where the two branches of the Elm River cross it (south of Hillsboro) in the last year or so.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Saturday morning I saw a bald eagle in Apponaug, RI. First one I've seen here since I moved in June.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

If you don't already check it out. Head over to allaboutbirds.org (it's the Cornell bird page) and check out all the "cams" available right now. A few are set up looking at feeders all day and night. One is set up on a great horned owl nest in Georgia and they just hatched out 2 owlets last week. There should be more cams coming online in the near future too.

Comment

With all this snow I am seeing birds regularly at my feeder that I had only seen once or twice before- house and marsh wrens, the red breasted nuthatch, yellow bellies, downies and hairy wood peckers. I have ground feeders perching- juncos- that I have never seen on the feeder before.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                                Saturday morning I saw a bald eagle in Apponaug, RI. First one I've seen here since I moved in June.
                                There was a story in the local paper last week saying that this is eagle season in New England. They even have bird-watching tours on the Connecticut River.

Comment

Working...
                                X