Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The thread for birds and birding

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I've also seen a bald eagle recently over my place.
    This dude is back today.
    He's been around (soaring) since about 11 AM.
    I just went to get the mail and with the low ceiling he was pretty low (say <80 feet) and let me say those things are rather large.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

This dude is back today.
      He's been around (soaring) since about 11 AM.
      I just went to get the mail and with the low ceiling he was pretty low (say <80 feet) and let me say those things are rather large.
      I think they average a 7ft wingspan. My buddy used to run a raptor center for the U of Iowa, helping raptors get back into the wild after suffering an injury. They had a bald eagle when he took me on a tour, and the thing looked vicious even behind the cage barrier. It shrieked as we went buy, eyeing us the whole time. That beak and those talons are not easily forgotten.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I just talked to my neighbor about the bald eagle that's been hanging around.

He asked me, "What's bigger, that or the soul stealer?"

Me:

Him: Make eye contact with one of the great horned that are hanging around and it'll feel like it's just staring through you and stealing your soul.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          I just talked to my neighbor about the bald eagle that's been hanging around.

He asked me, "What's bigger, that or the soul stealer?"

Me:

Him: Make eye contact with one of the great horned that are hanging around and it'll feel like it's just staring through you and stealing your soul.
          Our bedroom is on second floor above a walk out basement, so basically third floor with a big silver maple right outside. I've walked into the bedroom at dusk and been startled by a Great Horned sitting on the branch about 10' from me. They're big.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
            Our bedroom is on second floor above a walk out basement, so basically third floor with a big silver maple right outside. I've walked into the bedroom at dusk and been startled by a Great Horned sitting on the branch about 10' from me. They're big.
            I had a mating pair this summer that had two "chicks". The picture I posted earlier in this thread was one of the "chicks" from this spring.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• We've had a half dozen pelicans hanging in our pond the las two days. I've never seen pelicans on this pond since 1958 when my family moved here. We've had lots of duck and goose species, herons and shore birds, even the occasional loon, but never pelicans before.

Comment

Had an "all things great and small" morning out the window today:

At the liquid feeder (suction cup mounted on my picture window) was a hummingbird; behind that, on top the pole feeder 40 feet away was a great horned owl.

I got some awesome photo opportunities, but only had a cell phone at hand.
                Remember this?

Well, I have a cardinal, a pileated woodpecker, and a bald eagle all hiding out from the eastern ND blizzard in my back yard right now.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Remember this?

Well, I have a cardinal, a pileated woodpecker, and a bald eagle all hiding out from the eastern ND blizzard in my back yard right now.
                  Eagle eyeing that woodpecker like it's snack time.
                  A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                    Eagle eyeing that woodpecker like it's snack time.
                    That pileated is about the size of a crow or chicken. <-- Winner winner chicken dinner?

The eagle is sitting over some of the (very little) open water of a river: fishin'.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

That pileated is about the size of a crow or chicken. <-- Winner winner chicken dinner?

The eagle is sitting over some of the (very little) open water of a river: fishin'.
                      Pretty cool pic. That's about as close as I've ever been to seeing an eagle.
                      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

cool stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          I think they average a 7ft wingspan....
                          That's about right. One of the guys on the hawk watch where I count calls them "flying doors" since the wingspan of an eagle is a little more than the height of a standard door.
                          Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

• Saw a first last night in the backyard: Sandhill crane.

In the last 18 hours it's been: the earliest hummingbird I've seen, cardinal, rose crested grosbeak, sandhill crane. And Mr and Mrs "Baldy" have been cruising overhead about a 1/4 mile away.

Last week's battle was chasing away the Cooper's hawk using a head-bobbing plastic great horned owl statue. (Cooper's run smaller birds into the windows to stun them and then ... )

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• The bluejays and orioles (baltimore variety) reappeared today ... and this is not a baseball update.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Saw a first last night in the backyard: Sandhill crane.

In the last 18 hours it's been: the earliest hummingbird I've seen, cardinal, rose crested grosbeak, sandhill crane. And Mr and Mrs "Baldy" have been cruising overhead about a 1/4 mile away.

Last week's battle was chasing away the Cooper's hawk using a head-bobbing plastic great horned owl statue. (Cooper's run smaller birds into the windows to stun them and then ... )
                                Where do you live? My company (Melbourne, FL) has a large campus with lots of ponds/lakes/wetlands (I mentioned that it's Florida). The last two seasons, a pair of sandhill cranes have hatched chicks somewhere on the property. I've never spotted the nest, but they walk all over the parking lot, and sometimes block the sidewalks so people have to go into the grass to get around them - totally unphased. A sandhill crane chick looks like a baby turkey on stilts - ridiculously cute.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X