Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The thread for birds and birding

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    Kep, we have a cat and some kittens at the moment. They are always outside and near the hummingbird feeder (which is on a shepards hook) and the hummingbirds don't mind at all. They come feed when we are sitting within 10 feet of it. It's definitely a feeder you could look into getting in the spring.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I saw an American goldfinch in the trees near my work this week. What a gorgeous bird.
      We have so many of those. They are really noisy. Chickadees are my favorite. When the feeder is empty they cling to the windowsill and peck at the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
        [hummingbirds] come feed when we are sitting within 10 feet of [our] feeder.
        Another way to attract hummingbirds is to plant zinnias. We have zinnias in our garden every year and they come to visit those flowers frequently. We have been sitting in the garden without moving at all, very still, and have hummingbirds come within a foot of us, almost as if they were checking us out as a potential food source!
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          We have so many of those. They are really noisy. Chickadees are my favorite. When the feeder is empty they cling to the windowsill and peck at the window.
          They think your house is feeding them...
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Smallest bird ever at my feeders: ruby throated hummingbird
            Largest bird ever at my feeders: great horned owl (perched on top, looking down at the buffet*)
            Largest bird seen from my living room window: bald eagle (soaring about 300 yards away)

*the squirrels cleaning up scraps on the ground below the feeders had no idea ...
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Lotsa these guys out where I live. They seem to subsist entirely off our plentiful road kill (it's not unusual to see 30-40 of them picking at a deer carcass). They fly in an impressively geometrical formation called a "vortex" and hang out on the high rocks that overlook the Potomac.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                Smallest bird ever at my feeders: ruby throated hummingbird
                Largest bird ever at my feeders: great horned owl (perched on top, looking down at the buffet*)
                Largest bird seen from my living room window: bald eagle (soaring about 300 yards away)

*the squirrels cleaning up scraps on the ground below the feeders had no idea ...
                A buddy of mine helps run the raptor center grounds - he assigns out the maintenance crews and such - and took me there when I was last in IA City. Those bald eagles and various owls are a lot bigger up close than expected when seeing them in the air. The eagle must've had an eight-foot wingspan, and the owls were easily half that.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I had heard this a couple years ago but it's still an interesting article: http://blog.nature.org/science/2015/...-color-vision/

Basically talks about how birds see a larger range of the color spectrum (ultraviolet) and goes a bit more into detail.

Comment

Cool little hummingbird article: http://www.slate.com/blogs/wild_thin..._all_dt_tw_top

Comment

Flocks of migratory fowl in motion the past few days....

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

A friend showed me pictures of late-season flocks (maybe 60?) of loons on a residential lake where he lives. South Central Wisconsin. Is that common?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                          A friend showed me pictures of late-season flocks (maybe 60?) of loons on a residential lake where he lives. South Central Wisconsin. Is that common?
                          I couldn't say if it's common but I would say it's not surprising. If food sources are plentiful migrating birds may push migration back a bit. Sometimes they may still migrate but not as far as they might normally go if they find food. Not sure about Wisconsin but I have heard that some states are experiencing warmer than average temps this fall which could be having an effect.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Is that common?
                            Almost certainly. Pacific and Red-Throated loons don't really come that far south....
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Birders in paradise... (picture in link)

Birders are flocking to Prospect Park to catch a glimpse of a rare bird that touched down in Brooklyn over the weekend.

At least 100 avian enthusiasts a day are showing up at the park’s LeFrak Center to see the Florida tweeter — called a painted bunting — with its multicolored plumage

Comment

A good spring for watching Bird Wars.

Yesterday, as I was walking through the yard, I stopped short because two catbirds were fighting each other just about two feet away. They start on the ground and attack each other by flying up a foot or two and smashing each other with their wings.

We've seen several robins battling in similar fashion.

Earlier in the spring, the osprey vs crow match was really amazing. The osprey sent the crow into full retreat. It was hovering in mid-air, screeching its battle cry, talons extended.

I've seen jays driving a crow away too.

The other morning at the parking lot, waiting for the train, a number of smaller birds were circling and swooping something in the bushes. A few moments later, a fox slinked out and away.

Comment

Working...
                                X