Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Recruit Updates: All Are Welcome.......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Recruit Updates: All Are Welcome.......

Funny how everyone's b*tching about recruiting yet no one is discussing any of these recruits.

This new Danish one looks pretty good to me. Some of the others do too.

I want to see a goaltender up on the board soon though.

Comment

Maine Recruit Updates as of 11/16:

2015:

Mitchell Fossier (5-11, 175# F/Janesville - NAHL) - 21 GP, 2 G, 6 A

Daniel Perez (6-4, 200# F/Wilkes Barre Scranton - EHL) - 21 GP, 16 G, 10 A

Justin Rai (5-10, 165# F/Prince George - BCHL) - 24 GP, 15 G, 16 A

*Patrick Shea (5-10, 175# F/Marshfield H.S. - MA) - N/A

Cam Spicer (6-1, 195# D/Tri-City - USHL) - 14 GP, 1 G, 1 A

2016:

**Simon Butala (6-3, 185# D/NJ Rockets - EHL) - 19 GP, 0 G, 2 A

**A.J. Drobot (5-9, 185# F/NJ Rockets - EHL) - 13 GP, 2 G, 8 A

Patrick Holway (6-5, 195# D/Boston Advantage - Tier 1 Midget) - 10 GP, 3 G, 8 A

Lucas Michaud (5-11, 200# F/Portland - USPHL) - 26 GP, 9 G, 15 A

**Jake Pappalardo (5-10, 185# F/Proctor Academy) - N/A

2017:

Konstantin Chernyuk (6-5, 175# D/Wilkes Barre Scranton 19U - USPHL) - 11 GP, 2 G, 3 A

Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup (5-9, 160# F/Selects Hockey Academy 16U - USPHL) -8 GP, 11 G, 5 A

2019:

Oliver Wahlstrom (Shattuck St. Mary's Bantam - MN) - 20 GP, 27 G, 20 A

* - 2015 or 2016
      ** - 2016 or 2017

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
        Funny how everyone's b*tching about recruiting yet no one is discussing any of these recruits.

This new Danish one looks pretty good to me. Some of the others do too.

I want to see a goaltender up on the board soon though.
        I saw on twitter neither Fossier or Spicer are going to sign letters of intent this signing period. Maine desperately needs two more forwards who can put the puck in the net for next fall. I do like the looks of Rai. I'm not sure on Perez as his team is way ahead of everyone else in the league. I think goaltending is the least of our problems right now.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          I saw on twitter neither Fossier or Spicer are going to sign letters of intent this signing period. Maine desperately needs two more forwards who can put the puck in the net for next fall. I do like the looks of Rai. I'm not sure on Perez as his team is way ahead of everyone else in the league. I think goaltending is the least of our problems right now.
          Do you think that Fossier and Spicer will ever make it to Orono?

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
            Do you think that Fossier and Spicer will ever make it to Orono?
            I think Spicer will, not sure if it happens next year though. I'm not sure on Fossier. It sounds like at one point he was really good for his age group, but who knows where things have gone wrong this year. Maybe he is injured or something and will get back on track.

Comment

Goaltending will be the KEY to turning this Program around...if your solid in net then the rest will fall in place.

Comment

I think Spicer will, not sure if it happens next year though. I'm not sure on Fossier. It sounds like at one point he was really good for his age group, but who knows where things have gone wrong this year. Maybe he is injured or something and will get back on track.
                Spicer will be @ Orono next fall.

Comment

New D commit tonight.......

Robbie Michel - 6-0, 178# D (Ottawa Senators - CJHL) - 28 GP, 10 G, 17 A (highest scoring defenseman in the CJHL)

http://cjhlsens.stats.pointstreak.co...seasonid=12881

Comment

New D commit tonight.......

Robbie Michel - 6-0, 178# D (Ottawa Senators - CJHL) - 28 GP, 10 G, 17 A (highest scoring defenseman in the CJHL)

http://cjhlsens.stats.pointstreak.co...seasonid=12881
                    I've never seen this kid play, obviously, but for me this is exactly the kind of recruit Maine should be going after. I'm sure he has been way below the radar and probably played other sports in HS. I said this a month ago or so but I want to see Maine get kids who are good players at 21-23 versus 15-17.

Comment

Perez did not sign an NLI either

Comment

I've never seen this kid play, obviously, but for me this is exactly the kind of recruit Maine should be going after. I'm sure he has been way below the radar and probably played other sports in HS. I said this a month ago or so but I want to see Maine get kids who are good players at 21-23 versus 15-17.
                        I disagree with you for a couple of reasons. First, the NCAA backed off on how early recruits can be contacted. Maine needs to take advantage as other schools will in order to retain talent and not lose to major junior. Second, there are kids in Maine that have gone to other programs and it would be nice to retain those kids as well. Providence has had a lot of Maine kids do very well for them lately. It would be nice to not lose Maine kids to other teams. These are my two reasons. But I would like to hear why you prefer otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                          I disagree with you for a couple of reasons. First, the NCAA backed off on how early recruits can be contacted. Maine needs to take advantage as other schools will in order to retain talent and not lose to major junior. Second, there are kids in Maine that have gone to other programs and it would be nice to retain those kids as well. Providence has had a lot of Maine kids do very well for them lately. It would be nice to not lose Maine kids to other teams. These are my two reasons. But I would like to hear why you prefer otherwise.
                          I could not agree more on kids from Maine. The top kids from the state should be going to UMaine regardless of their age.

There are a few issues I have with the younger kids. The first and most obvious is that Maine is at a huge disadvantage to schools like BC, BU, UMN, UMI, etc. I don't think its the greatest use of resources to waste a lot of time with the top tier kids all of those schools are going after. I think a kid like Santini at BC who was pretty much can't miss and has ties to Maine it makes sense to go after, but for the most part I don't think many of those kids are realistically in play. That leads to Maine going after more of the second tier kids in that age group. What worries me about a lot of them is that they are specializing in a sport at a young age which I think hurts you down the road. I think a lot more kids burnout than you realize too. I'd cite certain guys at Maine who I think burnout has happened to but don't want to post them here. There are others who I think have just matured quicker than their peers and by the time they get to college age are nothing special. What do you do with them at that point? There is one kid on the team right now who I think is a good example of that.

The contrast to this is getting recruits who are a little bit older and might have flown under the radar. This could be because they played other sports or they just developed physically a little slower than others in their age groups. I think they offer a lot of things that is advantageous to the other group. The most obvious thing is that they are a little older. This helps physically but I also think it can make a big difference as far as maturity and work rate. I think the ones who have had the experience of overcoming adversity are at a huge advantage as far as adjusting to college hockey too. There is only maybe one in a 1000 players who can come in and dominate straightaway. If they are someone who played other sports I think that is a big advantage too. I've read that the best predictor of how good someone will be in their primary sport is how good they are at their third sport (don't know if its true or not, but makes a lot of sense to me).

Again, I don't think Maine should never offer 15 and 16 year olds, but I think their bread and butter should be the kids who are a bit older and might have escaped the big program's attention when they were 14-18. I think the key in today's game is finding a large group of players who can be solid 15-35 point guys and also play decent defense. I like the odds of finding them in older players much better.

Comment

UMaine almost never gets recruits from Southern Maine in ANY sport. Most of the talent in the Southern part of the state are enamored with UNH, BC, Boston schools, and Ivys........they don't even think about anything North of LL Bean.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                              UMaine almost never gets recruits from Southern Maine in ANY sport. Most of the talent in the Southern part of the state are enamored with UNH, BC, Boston schools, and Ivys........they don't even think about anything North of LL Bean.
                              It's not just athletic talent. I work at a high school in Southern Maine, we can't get kids to even apply to Orono. Zero interest in going north for school. They'd all rather go to SMCC (not USM, SMCC!). Anything north of Freeport/Brunswick really is looked at as the end of the world. I'd say the most popular schools for graduating seniors who aren't aiming for the stars to apply to are 1. USM, 2. UNE, 3. St. Joe's, 4. UNH.

Comment

Maine might not get every recruit from Souhern Maine but certainly they can do better than they have in recent times. Michaud looks like a decent recruit.

I honestly can't blame the average student for not wanting to go there. The facilities are not in the condition they should be and for a lot of careers there are not many options in that area. The school desperately needs leadership from Maine who is worried about what is best for Maine kids and nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                                X