• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: More about expansion for women's hockey

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    Penn State did.

Powers &8^]
    It was geographically sensible....until the Women' B1G is formed (sometime in the 22nd century)

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      Penn State did.

Powers &8^]
      A number of differences. Penn St in hockey at the time was not what Michigan has been in hockey...and the Penn St women's program had no choice. If Michigan tracks down the resources needed and does a one eighty turnaround on its view of women's hockey...it would only be to join the B1G. And if they do add hockey, rest assured a B1G women's hockey conference would be in tow.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

When they decide to add women's hockey UMich and MSU will not have any difficulty whatsoever finding a conference to play in.
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Of course the opportunities would be there -- as they have been for 15 years and counting. No question, it would be an expedited approval process.

Trouble is, in order for a league to grant an approval, it first has to receive an application. The suspicion is that Michigan isn't interested in the opportunities that are currently available.

Comment

are all the new div 3 teams really varsity or are they playing now until they approved by their schools?

Comment

Originally posted by LaRondelle View Post
              are all the new div 3 teams really varsity or are they playing now until they approved by their schools?
              Not sure but would like some further clarification. There are club teams, some that you must pay to play and some that are free and may even offer a few perks. There are a couple of Varsity teams, some that recruit based on need and some that recruit but then have a tryout to make the team. D3 teams can NOT offer an "athletic scholly" (wink wink) but of course do offer any academic etc scholly that a player is eligible. This correct?

What D3 schools in your opinions are competitive both athletically and academically?

Comment

i heard about schools becker and williams smith somewhere in have new teams? are these club or varsity teams that have a full coaching staff and the like?

Comment

• Originally posted by LaRondelle View Post
                  i heard about schools becker and williams smith somewhere in have new teams? are these club or varsity teams that have a full coaching staff and the like?
                  Google them...Any programs that are going/have gone varsity have numerous press releases and stories about their moves.

Comment

This was announced months ago, but I don't recall seeing it posted here. There are several newly formed teams that will be part of a new "Western Women's Collegiate Hockey League" that the ACHA is forming:

http://achahockey.org/view/achahocke...ws/news_165314

including:
                    Midland University: http://www.midlandathletics.com/sport/0/41.php
                    Denver University: http://www.du.edu/ritchiecenter/stud...key/index.html
                    Lindenwood-Belleville: http://lindenwoodlyn*****/index.aspx...tab=icehockey2
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Both Becker and William Smith are varsity teams with full-time coaching, etc. William Smith will be playing games this coming year (spent last year recruiting) and Becker will spend this year recruiting and start up in 2015.

Quite a few D3s have added programs over the last few years - or for next year. Good to see there's more places for girls to play post-HS age.

Recently added (or coming soon):
                      Merrimack (D1 2015)
                      SUNY Canton (D3 2013 - non-NCAA I think?)
                      William Smith (D3 2014)
                      Daniel Webster (D3 2015)
                      JWU (D3 2015)
                      Becker (D3 2015)
                      Morrisville (D3 2015)

and probably a few others that I'm missing
                      The greatest game on earth!

Comment

William Smith
                        http://www.hwsathletics.com/index.as...tab=icehockey2

Becker
                        http://beckerhawks.com/sports/wice/index

Comment

• Originally posted by hockey55 View Post
                          Both Becker and William Smith are varsity teams with full-time coaching, etc. William Smith will be playing games this coming year (spent last year recruiting) and Becker will spend this year recruiting and start up in 2015.

Quite a few D3s have added programs over the last few years - or for next year. Good to see there's more places for girls to play post-HS age.

Merrimack (D1 2015)
                          William Smith (D3 2014)
                          Daniel Webster (D3 2015)
                          JWU (D3 2015)
                          Becker (D3 2015)
                          Morrisville (D3 2015)

Both North Shore (MA) Salem State and Endicott will start varsity in 15-16
                          Last edited by joecct; 09-02-2014, 12:44 PM. Reason: Got the years right
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by hockey55 View Post

Merrimack (D1 2015)
                            William Smith (D3 2014)
                            Daniel Webster (D3 2015)
                            JWU (D3 2015)
                            Becker (D3 2015)
                            Morrisville (D3 2015)

That's two schools with potential SUNYAC ties. Canton could go full SUNYAC and Morrisville is an associate member for Men's Ice Hockey. The last version of the SUNYAC bylaws I've seen had a clause where if a certain percentage of members compete in a sport they then have a conference championship. I believe that with the current number of members with the percentage mentions makes the number of teams seven. If Canton goes SUNYAC that would make 6 SUNYAC schools with Women's Ice Hockey. Could a women's team in Morrisville make a SUNYAC women's conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                              That's two schools with potential SUNYAC ties. Canton could go full SUNYAC and Morrisville is an associate member for Men's Ice Hockey. The last version of the SUNYAC bylaws I've seen had a clause where if a certain percentage of members compete in a sport they then have a conference championship. I believe that with the current number of members with the percentage mentions makes the number of teams seven. If Canton goes SUNYAC that would make 6 SUNYAC schools with Women's Ice Hockey. Could a women's team in Morrisville make a SUNYAC women's conference.
                              Scott - If so, w/o Elmira in the league, just print the cardinal banner now.

Comment

Originally posted by hockey55 View Post
                                Scott - If so, w/o Elmira in the league, just print the cardinal banner now.
                                You wouldn't hear me complaining if that happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X