No announcement yet.

St. Cloud State University HUSKIES!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Cloud State University HUSKIES!!

Does anyone but me think a contributing factor in things going the wrong direction was increased competition for the Minnesota kid from D-I programs of distant conferences? Not the only factor. I think SCSU staff has to get better recruiting results from outside the state in addition.

Seems both SCSU and MSU-M used to do better in state than either have for awhile now.

Is time for something to change at St. Cloud I think. I would agree that facilities and location are not the problems.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      Does anyone but me think a contributing factor in things going the wrong direction was increased competition for the Minnesota kid from D-I programs of distant conferences? Not the only factor. I think SCSU staff has to get better recruiting results from outside the state in addition.

Seems both SCSU and MSU-M used to do better in state than either have for awhile now.

Is time for something to change at St. Cloud I think. I would agree that facilities and location are not the problems.
      the kids going out east aren't exactly the pick of the litter, sorry, but it's true

SCSU does a VERY poor job of attracting American athletes from outside MN, and none too well with Canada either

SCSU is the least unique of all the schools in the WCHA, I left out MN, WI, & OSU simply because it is so obvious I didn't think it needed to be mentioned, how long it takes to drive to a school means almost nothing, it is the culture and climate (and I ain't talking weather in this case)

Comment

Originally posted by BigSandy View Post
        I was talking about their hockey rink, and changerooms, not many have better..
        I'm not sure about their dorms
        Dorms are awful. I attended SCSU for a year and a half before transferring. Plus you have to take a shuttle to park because they made you park in that gravel lot that's over a mile away. And let me tell you, waiting for that shuttle to come on a Sunday in the winter... not fun.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
          Dorms are awful. I attended SCSU for a year and a half before transferring. Plus you have to take a shuttle to park because they made you park in that gravel lot that's over a mile away. And let me tell you, waiting for that shuttle to come on a Sunday in the winter... not fun.
          Most of the players on the SCSU women's team live right across the road from the Brooks Center--newer condos with ample parking.

Most comments have agreed that recruiting in the past few years has not been very good. Inside the state, in the metro, up north, outside of Minnesota, in Canada and Europe, etc., the fact remains that recruiting remains a weakness. Not sure what the administration is willing to do. Obviously, one approach would be to change the hockey staff.

At least there is SOME discussion regarding St. Cloud State Women's Hockey!!

Comment

Interesting discussion. I noticed that one of the SCSU assistants moved over to a local DIII program in the St. Cloud area, College of St Benedict, a few years ago. We at SCSU were glad for that! The weak leadership that the Huskies have, has now been duplicated at this DIII school. SCSU and CSB now have little to offer women looking for a great college hockey experience. The Boomer is right...the whole area needs new women's hockey leadership.

Comment

This from SCSU athletic director Heather Weems--part of an article about replacing personnel in the athletic dept.

Weems said head volleyball coach Michelle Blaeser has had her contract renewed. Women’s hockey head coach Jeff Giesen’s contract is also up after this semester.

“I’m looking at that particular program and it’s under evaluation,” Weems said. “We do that for every program when its season ends.”

So, we at least know the program is under evaluation.

Comment

I think if the Huskies let Jim Fetter get away, it would be a huge mistake.
                I saw first hand how he built wayne state into a top 10 program from a perennial bottom feeder.
                Plus when you take into consideration the drawbacks at WSU, crappy city, no on campus rink, very little fan support.
                At SCSU, he'll have a GREAT facility, a great hockey state to pull talent from plus he's connected to great talent as Canada's u18 coach
                Where he's won 2 world championships.
                He's 3 time coach of the year in CHA, national coach of the year, solid recruiter, excellent tactician, no brainer if you ask me.
                Proud to be a wayne state fan,BLESSED TO BE AN AMERICAN !!

It's nice to be important,but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

He (and his wife i woul guess) might end up at BSU.

Comment

It hurt SCSU to host the USA Hockey Development Camps for several years before the upgrade, and even with that, to put them in dorms without A/C, mediocre food service, they turned off more prospects by getting them too much information for the sake of filling the rink for 10 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                      He (and his wife i woul guess) might end up at BSU.
                      I see that job , SCSU better lock up the Fetter's before Bemidji comes a calling, if they ,they'll regret it.
                      Proud to be a wayne state fan,BLESSED TO BE AN AMERICAN !!

It's nice to be important,but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

• Re: St. Cloud State University HUSKIES!!

Originally posted by gvsualumni View Post
                        I think if the Huskies let Jim Fetter get away, it would be a huge mistake.
                        I saw first hand how he built wayne state into a top 10 program from a perennial bottom feeder.
                        Plus when you take into consideration the drawbacks at WSU, crappy city, no on campus rink, very little fan support.
                        At SCSU, he'll have a GREAT facility, a great hockey state to pull talent from plus he's connected to great talent as Canada's u18 coach
                        Where he's won 2 world championships.
                        He's 3 time coach of the year in CHA, national coach of the year, solid recruiter, excellent tactician, no brainer if you ask me.
                        Im not going to say he is not qualified for this job, but he has been part of this program for 3 seasons, he has not improved the recruiting, this year seems to be the best class of freshman players in the last 3 years, the previous 2 classes were big in heart, short on skill. Just from watching him interact with the special team players I believe he might have been in charge of the special teams, and the Huskies were one of the worse in the country in both, not sure if that makes him a "excellent tactician". I guess their could be a scenario where you bring him back as a coach and bring in some new up in coming coach (preferably not one with the same last name as the coach). I think the program needs a change. The program has excellent facilities to offer, a good school, there is no reason why this program cant attract better talent. The talent has to be brought in by the coaches, they have failed.

Comment

One quick last thing Gvsualumni, You mentioned the u-18 canada connections, Jim has never brought in a player from the u-18 program. Wish the Fetters the best of luck, wether its here in St Cloud or somewhere else .

Comment

Originally posted by BigSandy View Post
                            Im not going to say he is not qualified for this job, but he has been part of this program for 3 seasons, he has not improved the recruiting, this year seems to be the best class of freshman players in the last 3 years, the previous 2 classes were big in heart, short on skill. ................. I think the program needs a change. The program has excellent facilities to offer, a good school, there is no reason why this program cant attract better talent. The talent has to be brought in by the coaches, they have failed.
                            There have been persistent rumours in the hockey community (in Ontario at least) for many years, rightly or wrongly, that St. Cloud's women's hockey program was in significant danger of being cut. Especially given the high number of Ontario players who were burned in recent years by the very sudden cancellations of programs at Wayne State and Niagara, this pretty much guarantees that most prospects will not seriously consider St. Cloud unless they have no other attractive options. The best recruiter in the world would find that concern tough to overcome.
                            Last edited by Trillium; 03-21-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                              There have been persistent rumours in the hockey community (in Ontario at least) for many years, rightly or wrongly, that St. Cloud's women's hockey program was in significant danger of being cut. Especially given the high number of Ontario players who were burned in recent years by the very sudden cancellations of programs at Wayne State and Niagara, this pretty much guarantees that most prospects will not seriously consider St. Cloud unless they have no other attractive options. The best recruiter in the world would find that concern tough to overcome.
                              SCSWH cut? Thats a total stretch of a rumour, I guess its possible that people are saying that, but I also heard that Elvis was shopping at Target.
                              This program is not going anywhere, the mens & womens are the only Div 1 programs in the school, they just spent 40+ million on their rink, have you seen the womens/mens facilities? they are not going anywhere!
                              The lack of recruiting is not entirely on Fetter, Giessen can take a lot of the blame as well, they just havent done a good enough job convincing the top talent to come here, part of the reason is the lack of success the team has had, and when your competing in the WCHA, not only are wins tough, but winning the top recruits is not easy either.
                              You seem to be a big supporter of Fetter, you his agent, or Miss Fetter?

Comment

sorry trillium, i got you mixed up, i thought gvsualumni had written this..

Comment

Working...
                                X